Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is “a fair while’? Several weeks, months?

I guess if I was to switch to Octopus now then I won’t be getting any of my export back from OVO though. Still it’s only 150kW and that’s £6. So it won’t break me 😂
How much were SoEnergy paying for export?
5p/kw 🤮. Will move over to octo for 15p/kw. At that rate it's actually worth exporting! (And I see a loophole of exporting the dregs of the battery between 10pm and 11:30 if are any and recharge at 7.5p?)

5p/kw 🤮. Will move over to octo for 15p/kw. At that rate it's actually worth exporting! (And I see a loophole of exporting the dregs of the battery between 10pm and 11:30 if are any and recharge at 7.5p?)

I didn’t think you were able to get on the 15p export rate if you were on IO !

Thought I heard people saying it’s 4p export on IO. Otherwise…. Well…. Happy days 🤪

That’d be like playing the energy suppliers at their own game 😂

Changed from GO to IO yesterday - all seems to be fine except the smart meter - which says our unit cost is 7.5p all the time. It used to work with GO, changed from 7.5p to 35p and back again but for some reason this isn’t happening with IO. Does anyone know if this is normal just because the 7.5p can be outside the 11:30 - 5:30 time slots and the smart meter can’t keep up or is it just a quirk or IO so we can’t keep track of daily use etc or should it rectify itself after a few cycles. I’m under no illusion that I’m paying 7.5p at the moment (Sunday afternoon) but it would be nice to be able to keep track of what I am spending on electricity to see if the switch from GO to IO is actually saving me anything. Thanks

Changed from GO to IO yesterday - all seems to be fine except the smart meter - which says our unit cost is 7.5p all the time. It used to work with GO, changed from 7.5p to 35p and back again but for some reason this isn’t happening with IO. Does anyone know if this is normal just because the 7.5p can be outside the 11:30 - 5:30 time slots and the smart meter can’t keep up or is it just a quirk or IO so we can’t keep track of daily use etc or should it rectify itself after a few cycles. I’m under no illusion that I’m paying 7.5p at the moment (Sunday afternoon) but it would be nice to be able to keep track of what I am spending on electricity to see if the switch from GO to IO is actually saving me anything. Thanks
Do you mean your IHD?

If it was working under Go, then it was pure luck. They just aren't reliable in reflecting smart tariffs.

Reactions: rowedav
Hi all,

Really informative forum. I spent nearly 2 hours reading through it last night. I feel like I’m getting more confused the more I read about IO + MD3 integration. I just have a few simple questions. I’m looking to get the MD3 LR next month hopefully and switch to the IO tariff. I do roughly 150miles a week so I reckon 1 full charge a week should be more than enough for me. This will be my first EV.

Just so I can understand better the questions are below:

1) Can I make use of IO with possibly 1-2 charges a week? My plan is to charge on one weekend day once a week. I was wondering if I could be okay just by turning off smart charging and setup the charger to do the schedule charge from 11:30-5:30am seen as I don’t need to charge that much. With this setup would I just turn off all charge setup in car, Tesla app & the Octopus app?
2) What charger can someone recommend? Ohme pro I was looking at but in my estate most have the POD Point.
3) I know the first setup is ‘against’ the Tariff t&c’s but could someone explain how the setup would work then if I wanted to make use of the IO smart charge in simple terms for me please as Post 2255 does for example?

TIA

1) Yes, but why turn off smart charging? Set the % you need by the time you need it. Simple as that.
2) Any charger will do if you're using Tesla integration. If you want EVSE integration, Ohme is the only one that's not in closed beta. If you get the Ohme, you can charge any car on IO.
3) Don't understand the question.

1) Yes, but why turn off smart charging? Set the % you need by the time you need it. Simple as that.
2) Any charger will do if you're using Tesla integration. If you want EVSE integration, Ohme is the only one that's not in closed beta. If you get the Ohme, you can charge any car on IO.
3) Don't understand the question.
1) I won’t turn off smart charging. In my scenario could you give an example to me if possible please? 250 mile range for instance at start of week I use 120 miles + 30-40 again on weekend. So if I plan to JUST CHARGE ON SUNDAYS what kind of a schedule would you suggest in IO app?
2) So if any charge is fine would the Tesla car/app have no schedule charging setting and the charger will be set as a dumb switch?
3) My question here was could someone outline the steps on how the process will work to make use of the IO tariff like post 2255 has done simplified?
4) Additional question sorry, what kind of monthly prices did people notice change without EV charging before they got onto the IO tariff? Thanks

1) I won’t turn off smart charging. In my scenario could you give an example to me if possible please? 250 mile range for instance at start of week I use 120 miles + 30-40 again on weekend. So if I plan to JUST CHARGE ON SUNDAYS what kind of a schedule would you suggest in IO app?
2) So if any charge is fine would the Tesla car/app have no schedule charging setting and the charger will be set as a dumb switch?
3) My question here was could someone outline the steps on how the process will work to make use of the IO tariff like post 2255 has done simplified?
You set your Tesla to a maximum charge level greater than you actually want (e.g. 91%) and no scheduled start/end time.
You set your desired charge level in the IO app (e.g. 90%) and the time you wish the charge to be completed.
You plug in in the evening and IO automatically creates a schedule for you to hit your desired charge level by the time requested.

Whatever charger you purchase, you disable all scheduling on it to essentially turn it into a dumb charger.

You set your Tesla to a maximum charge level greater than you actually want (e.g. 91%) and no scheduled start/end time.
You set your desired charge level in the IO app (e.g. 90%) and the time you wish the charge to be completed.
You plug in in the evening and IO automatically creates a schedule for you to hit your desired charge level by the time requested.

Whatever charger you purchase, you disable all scheduling on it to essentially turn it into a dumb charger.
Thank you so much, makes much more sense now. Please can I also confirm that if the IO schedule automatically picks a schedule outside the normal off peak charges that will be charged to me as the 7.5p rate? And in the thread I saw numerous posts that I will at times need to stop the charge through the Tesla app when I plug in the charger the IO starts to auto charge? Or is that now fixed?

Please can I also confirm that if the IO schedule automatically picks a schedule outside the normal off peak charges that will be charged to me as the 7.5p rate? And in the thread I saw numerous posts that I will at times need to stop the charge through the Tesla app when I plug in the charger the IO starts to auto charge? Or is that now fixed?
Yes, any automatic scheduling by IO will always be charged at the off-peak rate (currently 7.5p).

When you plug in the car will start charging - it may take a few minutes for IO to detect this and stop the car. This always works for me but if it is still charging after 10 mins you can go into the Tesla app and manually stop charging - but it would be worth checking in the IO app that a charge schedule has been set - otherwise disconnect and try again.

I have done the same - change from GO to IO and the in home display was showing the correct rate for peak and off-peak albeit a little bit later than the "on the half hour" (at 00:30 the car would start charging but the IHD showed the price at peak rate per hour for a good few minutes)

Now that I'm on IO, my IHD also shows the off peak rate all the time, so the daily running total is completely wrong!

I was wondering if I'd get anywhere by complaining to Octopus?
(Not that I put much faith in the thing anyway)