Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone said that you can't be on a high export tariff with IO.
I came back from holiday yesterday abd that's exactly what happened. I was on IO till April, them switched to Flux fir the high export rates.
I plugged the M3 in yesterday to give it a solar charge, having arrived home at 10%. IO created a charging cycle in the app.
The car was plugged into the Zappi, which I have never used for IO, I have a dumb charger for that.
My problem is now that IO has kept the car awake all night and I now only have 2% .. not enough to go shopping even.
I've posed the question to Octopus, asking how I can be smart charging and be on Flux at the same time.. IO still wants to control my solar charging by not charging on eco+ mode so I'll have to find a work around. I'm away again, without the car for a few weeks and was hoping as usual to leave the car plugged in and slowly top it up from solar.. but I'm not sure I can take the risk of IO depleting the battery.
Any quick solutions/ suggestions as I leave on Wed morning? Apart from leaving the car unplugged.
Don't muck around and take any risks. Just pay to top up to at least 20%, then argue about it. Still only £5 to make sure you aren't dead on the drive.

Reactions: Drew57
Someone said that you can't be on a high export tariff with IO.
I came back from holiday yesterday abd that's exactly what happened. I was on IO till April, them switched to Flux fir the high export rates.
I plugged the M3 in yesterday to give it a solar charge, having arrived home at 10%. IO created a charging cycle in the app.
The car was plugged into the Zappi, which I have never used for IO, I have a dumb charger for that.
My problem is now that IO has kept the car awake all night and I now only have 2% .. not enough to go shopping even.
I've posed the question to Octopus, asking how I can be smart charging and be on Flux at the same time.. IO still wants to control my solar charging by not charging on eco+ mode so I'll have to find a work around. I'm away again, without the car for a few weeks and was hoping as usual to leave the car plugged in and slowly top it up from solar.. but I'm not sure I can take the risk of IO depleting the battery.
Any quick solutions/ suggestions as I leave on Wed morning? Apart from leaving the car unplugged.
Do you still have the ability to suspend IO smart charging via the 'Devices' option on the Home Screen (top LH corner)? If so then this won't happen.

I always do this when an IO charge completes so I can then use Eco+ & solar until required again (which is rarely in summer).

Yes, thanks Drew, I've done that.. the problem is that the device (Zappi) was never enabled, tested or used for IO so IO shouldn't know about it. But I've disabled smart charging so fingers crossed that works tonight.. I've got nearly 20% off the solar so far. That's enough for a quick shopping trip. Thanks for the help.

Do you still have the ability to suspend IO smart charging via the 'Devices' option on the Home Screen (top LH corner)? If so then this won't happen.

I always do this when an IO charge completes so I can then use Eco+ & solar until required again (which is rarely in summer).
Thats solved the battery drain problem thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully Octopus will tell me how IO can operate on an unregistered device. I suppose I should check whether I'm able to charge at 7.5p and then export the solar on Flux at a much higher rate?

Reactions: Drew57
Thats solved the battery drain problem thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully Octopus will tell me how IO can operate on an unregistered device. I suppose I should check whether I'm able to charge at 7.5p and then export the solar on Flux at a much higher rate?
Interested to know how to check your daily costs at all? I've found consumption in kWh, and can get the half-hourly breakdown from the API, but not what they think they my costs are?

Reactions: MrBadger
Interested to know how to check your daily costs at all? I've found consumption in kWh, and can get the half-hourly breakdown from the API, but not what they think they my costs are?
I get daily real-time costs using the Octo-Aid app which draws its data from my Octopus Home Mini. It also takes live IO data so the tariff is correct for each part of the day (not sure about extra off peak slots).

O-A shows kWh & £ usage every 5 seconds plus a running total for the day and 7 days ago as a comparison.

If you haven’t got one, apply to Octopus for a Home Mini - there may still be a waiting list but it’s useful.

Screenshot just now from Octo-Aid:
IMG_6910.png

Reactions: Yuff
My tariff is coming to an end, so assuming intelligent is still the most popular tariff now?

I may be getting a non tesla car in Jan when the lease ends (another baby on the way, not sure about 3 in the back of a 3 or Y!). If it doesn't integrate with IO will I still be able to use it?

You can’t have IO and Eco+ on the Zappi enabled at the same time. That won’t work as the two systems will fight each other. IO will try to charge during the night whilst there’s no sun and the Zappi will try to charge during the day when IO doesn’t want to charge.

Option 1 - Set the Zappi to Fast and let IO do its thing.

Option 2 - Set the Zappi to Eco+ but with a timed boost between 2330-0530 and disable smart charge in the Octopus app.

Option 3 - Automate the system to set the Zappi to Eco+ during the day with smart charge off and enable smart charge at night with the Zappi on Fast.

Octopus and MyEnergi are working on native IO integration for the Zappi, however this is currently in beta and not available to the general public. Latest I’ve heard is maybe autumn for release.

My tariff is coming to an end, so assuming intelligent is still the most popular tariff now?

I may be getting a non tesla car in Jan when the lease ends (another baby on the way, not sure about 3 in the back of a 3 or Y!). If it doesn't integrate with IO will I still be able to use it?

If your Charge point can link then the car doesn't matter.

Surprisingly though I will shortly lose my Octopus Go 7.5p cheap rate the newer Go tariff with 9.5p cheap rate is a bit cheaper overall for me ... because the peak/standard rate is cheaper. It all depends on your own particular usage and the ratio of peak versus off peak. The Octopus Compare app can use your actual usage to show the comparison.

Reactions: M312
Morning…I’ve been on IO for a few weeks now and have encountered my first issue. I’ve done a quick search on this thread and saw a few similar issues but couldn’t find an answer.

Anyway, I plugged in last night and got a schedule through as normal. Then I changed the settings a bit - increased charge limit to 95% as I have a long-ish trip today and saved. Schedule updated fine.

However, when I woke up this morning, I noticed the car hadn’t charged as much as I expected. There were still a few 30mins sessions to go but I noticed in the Tesla app the car was only charging at 16A, not 32A. Effectively half power.

Checked my Wallbox app, even though nothing had been changed there and it’s set to 32A limit.

I did have to re-connect in the the Octopus app on Friday as I wasn’t getting a schedule but seemed to charge ok on Friday night (was only a small top up charge though, so potentially could have been at 16A too and I didn’t notice?)

Any ideas or solutions from the more experienced IO users here?

However, when I woke up this morning, I noticed the car hadn’t charged as much as I expected. There were still a few 30mins sessions to go but I noticed in the Tesla app the car was only charging at 16A, not 32A. Effectively half power.

Checked my Wallbox app, even though nothing had been changed there and it’s set to 32A limit.

Its probably unrelated to IO but either the car using the default charge rate for the site (its specific to a geolocation and often defaults to 16A unless changed) or the car detecting a problem (typically voltage fluctuations, but could be temperature) and derating the charge rate.

If its a new site to you, or GPS geolocation is detecting it as a different site (not unheard of), then a manual adjustment is often necessary.

If its charge being derated, say it was an longer than usual charge and things started to warm up, then an electrician may be necessary.

Something like TeslaFi (alternatives are available including DIY) that monitors the charge over time is useful for detecting these kind of issues. They also allow charge rate to be changed according to a schedule. Useful if the charge rate had been previously adjusted.

I still do not have 100% faith in an IO controlled working, so if I absolutely need a guaranteed charge, I'll revert to doing it manually. IO's adherence to charge plans works in mysterious ways, and I have regularly seen it skip an early charge (guessing that it thinks its ahead of schedule so skips a session) only to fall short at the end. In addition, car not waking in a timely manner so slot being missed. I'm a bit of an insomniac so see these things! Not your issue, but reasons for me not to rely on an IO controlled charge. But on less critical occasions, happy for IO to do its stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowedav
Morning…I’ve been on IO for a few weeks now and have encountered my first issue. I’ve done a quick search on this thread and saw a few similar issues but couldn’t find an answer.

Anyway, I plugged in last night and got a schedule through as normal. Then I changed the settings a bit - increased charge limit to 95% as I have a long-ish trip today and saved. Schedule updated fine.

I did have to re-connect in the the Octopus app on Friday as I wasn’t getting a schedule but seemed to charge ok on Friday night (was only a small top up charge though, so potentially could have been at 16A too and I didn’t notice?)

Any ideas or solutions from the more experienced IO users here?
If my plug isn't seated right, the car or wall box will de rate it to 16a, but usually with a notification issued?

Reactions: rowedav
If my plug isn't seated right, the car or wall box will de rate it to 16a, but usually with a notification issued?
I think you might be right on the money with this. I didn’t see it at the time, but I’ve just checked my phone and sure enough…there’s a notification from yesterday saying charge cable not fully secured.

I’ve seen this notification before and checked the plug was properly in, but didn’t see the alert last night, maybe due to being preoccupied with friends being round etc

Reactions: browellm