Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question on IO settings please. When it says ‘top up charge’ and you select the percentage…is this the amount it will top up to or the amount it will add to the current charge level.

If you onboarded using the Tesla integation, it is the amount it will top up to.

If you happen to have an Ohme charger and decided to onboard with that integration it is the amount it will add.

:D

Reactions: YYY2022
If you onboarded using the Tesla integation, it is the amount it will top up to.

If you happen to have an Ohme charger and decided to onboard with that integration it is the amount it will add.

:D
Thank you. I onboarded via my Wallbox charger, not the car so guess it’s the amount that will be added. I can work with either, just a case of understanding what it’s doing! 👍

Just moved across to IO and having a few issues. The first is that some bright spark at Octopus has also set my export tariff to Intelligent Octopus too. I now have a standing charge to export and pay peak rate per kWh to do so!!
Secondly, when I plug in the car it takes far too long for the smart schedule to be ready and for the (peak rate) charging to stop. One or 2 kWh at peak rate totally negates the benefits of IO over the Go tariff. If I manually stop the charge from the Tesla app, no schedule is delivered and the car won't charge. Not great Octopus.....

Just moved across to IO and having a few issues. The first is that some bright spark at Octopus has also set my export tariff to Intelligent Octopus too. I now have a standing charge to export and pay peak rate per kWh to do so!!
Secondly, when I plug in the car it takes far too long for the smart schedule to be ready and for the (peak rate) charging to stop. One or 2 kWh at peak rate totally negates the benefits of IO over the Go tariff. If I manually stop the charge from the Tesla app, no schedule is delivered and the car won't charge. Not great Octopus.....
I’ve seen a few issues over the past week where a schedule occasionally hasn’t been set and I’ve had to poke Octopus by changing the charging settings (ie. departure time) to get it to create a schedule. Last night it never set a schedule and the car charged all through the night way above the IO target SoC, only stopping when it reached the car’s own charge limit.

I’ve seen a few issues over the past week where a schedule occasionally hasn’t been set and I’ve had to poke Octopus by changing the charging settings (ie. departure time) to get it to create a schedule. Last night it never set a schedule and the car charged all through the night way above the IO target SoC, only stopping when it reached the car’s own charge limit.
I have been having issues with IO not setting a schedule recently hours after the car was plugged in. Happened at least 3 times.
As a result I have the car set to start charging at 2:15am as a backup
a) it prevents the car charging for 20minutes when I plug in at peak rate before IO shuts it down
b) 2:15 is in the charging window they set 95% of the time so it does not mess with their schedule but if they don't set one or the internet fails it means my car will still charge.

Reactions: tj333
I now have a standing charge to export and pay peak rate per kWh to do so!!
As others suggest (and it’s what I do as well), keep the scheduled charge enabled on your car. Mine starts at 23:30. That way it won’t start charging immediately when you plug it in and if a schedule fails to be produced then it’ll still charge at Off Peak rates.

What you said above is confusing me: there is no standing charge for Outgoing Octopus and their rates are actually extremely competitive (I don’t know of anyone who offers more than 15p/kWh for export) so I don’t quite understand where you’re having problems?

As others suggest (and it’s what I do as well), keep the scheduled charge enabled on your car. Mine starts at 23:30. That way it won’t start charging immediately when you plug it in and if a schedule fails to be produced then it’ll still charge at Off Peak rates.

What you said above is confusing me: there is no standing charge for Outgoing Octopus and their rates are actually extremely competitive (I don’t know of anyone who offers more than 15p/kWh for export) so I don’t quite understand where you’re having problems?
The problem is that my export tariff is showing as 'Octopus Intelligent' which isn't an export tariff!

Hi all - just switched from to IO tariff last night. Did it by connecting my home charger to Octopus via OCCP. Left the Model S plugged in last night to test out the new "smart charging". I noticed that the charging stopped and started multiple times. Never seen this before as I've always just had it on a schedule as per the Octopus Go off-peak hours when I was on that tariff.

I have emailed Octopus but also wanted to check here as well. Got a few questions:

Any ideas what might be causing the stop/start charging pattern and is that potentially damaging the battery?

Hi all - just switched from to IO tariff last night. Did it by connecting my home charger to Octopus via OCCP. Left the Model S plugged in last night to test out the new "smart charging". I noticed that the charging stopped and started multiple times. Never seen this before as I've always just had it on a schedule as per the Octopus Go off-peak hours when I was on that tariff.

I have emailed Octopus but also wanted to check here as well. Got a few questions:

Any ideas what might be causing the stop/start charging pattern and is that potentially damaging the battery?
(Accidentally posted above before finishing my questions)

Got a few questions:
1. Any ideas what might be causing the stop/start charging pattern?
2. Will the stop/start charging potentially damage the EV battery over time?
3. Can I just disable the Octopus smart charging and go back to a more traditional timed schedule?
4. Can I disable the smart charging by just disabling OCCP on the charger?
5. Will disabling OCCP on the charger impact my eligibility for IO?

(Accidentally posted above before finishing my questions)

Got a few questions:
1. Any ideas what might be causing the stop/start charging pattern?
2. Will the stop/start charging potentially damage the EV battery over time?
3. Can I just disable the Octopus smart charging and go back to a more traditional timed schedule?
4. Can I disable the smart charging by just disabling OCCP on the charger?
5. Will disabling OCCP on the charger impact my eligibility for IO?
1. That's how the tariff works. Within the constraints of charging to the % you want and the time you want it, Octopus are balancing the grid for cost/CO2/demand etc.
2. No.
3. No. Move back to Go if you want that.
4. Probably if that's the onboarding option you chose rather than direct to the vehicle.
5. Yes.

Not sure how you could even sign up for a tariff like this without being aware of some of the basics here. The OP answers most of the questions too

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardo and ACarneiro
Thanks for this - I have read (most) of the thread and it seems a simple choice to move from Go to IO and gain another couple of hours off peak and a lower OP rate too.

My charger (Garo) isn't smart enough for IO so I will be using the car (Model S).

Looking at the thread it seems if I set the charge schedule in the car to start a 23.30 then it won't start/stop charging before then unless IO gives me a slot ?

When I get to the Office (free charging) can I jsut plug in as before or am I going to have issues with IO starting/stopping the charge ? I already have to unlock the charger at work so it may become a bit tedious with multiple apps to remeber/adjust - especially if I have to adjust IO again each night when I get home.

I assume if I don't plug in/am away I still get the OP rate for the rest of the house ?

Finally if a friend stays and wants to use the charger I guess that just works OP from 23.20 so I schedule on the charger (bit of a pain) or via their car assuming it can ?

Thanks for the clarification - I have seen some of the answers but way back so not sure how up to date they are now.

Thanks for this - I have read (most) of the thread and it seems a simple choice to move from Go to IO and gain another couple of hours off peak and a lower OP rate too.

My charger (Garo) isn't smart enough for IO so I will be using the car (Model S).

Looking at the thread it seems if I set the charge schedule in the car to start a 23.30 then it won't start/stop charging before then unless IO gives me a slot ?

When I get to the Office (free charging) can I jsut plug in as before or am I going to have issues with IO starting/stopping the charge ? I already have to unlock the charger at work so it may become a bit tedious with multiple apps to remeber/adjust - especially if I have to adjust IO again each night when I get home.

I assume if I don't plug in/am away I still get the OP rate for the rest of the house ?

Finally if a friend stays and wants to use the charger I guess that just works OP from 23.20 so I schedule on the charger (bit of a pain) or via their car assuming it can ?

Thanks for the clarification - I have seen some of the answers but way back so not sure how up to date they are now.
If you plug in at home in the day IO will stop the charge. I am not sure if it is using geolocation and thus will not interfere if you are somewhere else. If it does you can do the same thing you would do at home which is go onto the Octopus app and select "bump charge" which should prevent it from interfering in theory. You can do this pre-emptively as well of course as soon as you plug in.

You get the 7.5p rate for 6 hours for all usage every night whether you charge or not.
Since the charger is not smart Octopus have no way to influence any other car using your charger and they will get the cheap rate at night of course. How you schedule that is up to you / the technology you have.

if you set the car to charge at 23:30 it will prevent it charging earlier but it means it will start to charge at 23:30 whether Octopus want it to or not which is not really in the spirit of the game. personally I set mine to start at 2:15 which is within the Octopus schedule 95% of the time and avoids early charging or missed charging. 23:30 is generally not in the Octopus schedule in my experience.

if you set the car to charge at 23:30 it will prevent it charging earlier but it means it will start to charge at 23:30 whether Octopus want it to or not which is not really in the spirit of the game.
True, but what I noticed was that if it starts charging at 23:30 and Octopus don’t want it to, they’ll stop it within a few minutes. So it’s all good :)