Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never seen IO “override the 05:30 stop”.
If 05:30 “Ready by” time is set in the Octopus app, it has never charged the car past that time. And if you have “off peak end time set to 05:30 in the car as well, even if you did set the Octopus “ready by” time after 05:30, or it “overrides the 05:30 stop”(?) it won’t charge the car after 05:30 (and drain the house batteries).

Well with my setup if Octopus is set to be ready by 10.00 and Tesla 05.30 stop is on IO goes past the tesla 05.30 stop as IO controlling the charge. It’s the Octopus IO finish time that controls the stop time. The tesla stop time just stops the initial charge when plug in when using IO.

Hi @Drew57,

Good point. Not required as current tariffs stand(?). Only 1 or possibly 2 apps to fiddle with now.

Where I am, IO definitely seems to have a preference for selecting the later slots in the off peak period up until 05:00 or 05:30 rather than earlier slots (if the whole period isn’t required - which it isn’t most of the time for us).
I think I’ve only ever had 2 or 3 slots before 23:30 and those were in the winter. I’ve only had my system since July 23 and Octopus as supplier since the end of July and export payment tariff (finally) all set up and active since mid sept though.

I can’t remember why I needed the 05:30 off peak end time in the car now if it’s also set in the Octopus app 😂
I think it was probably a relic from when export rates were 4p or I had no export tariff and we weren’t charging the house batteries to 100% every night, so didn’t want them dumping into the car and starting the day with zero in them and buying peak or buying at 7.5p and then exporting at 4p or 0p. Also, preferring to get any extra slots in the evening rather than morning. Or avoiding dumping the batteries into the car before 23:30 if you got extra early slots and weren’t looking !
I think that was why. There was a good reason at the time. I just can’t remember exactly why and I can’t be bothered to scroll all the way back. It was to do with avoiding dumping the house batteries into the car outside of the off peak hours anyway and a choice (and still is for some) between preventing the car from charging before 23:30 by setting the cars start time after 23:30 and setting the off peak end time to 05:30. So one might go past 05:30 and the other might start before 23:30 (which was less of an issue to us IMHO).

Yes, you are correct, It seems that if import and export tariffs remain at the same favourable rates (7.5/30/15) as they are now it’s not necessary to set the car’s off peak end time to 05:30 as well as IO ready by time as you say because IO should stop the car at 05:30.

Last edited:
Hi @Drew57,

Good point. Not required as current tariffs stand(?). Only 1 or possibly 2 apps to fiddle with now.

Where I am, IO definitely seems to have a preference for selecting the later slots in the off peak period up until 05:00 or 05:30 rather than earlier slots (if the whole period isn’t required - which it isn’t most of the time for us).
I think I’ve only ever had 2 or 3 slots before 23:30 and those were in the winter. I’ve only had my system since July 23 and Octopus as supplier since the end of July and export payment tariff (finally) all set up and active since mid sept though.

I can’t remember why I needed the 05:30 off peak end time in the car now if it’s also set in the Octopus app 😂
I think it was probably a relic from when export rates were 4p or I had no export tariff and we weren’t charging the house batteries to 100% every night, so didn’t want them dumping into the car and starting the day with zero in them and buying peak or buying at 7.5p and then exporting at 4p or 0p. Also, preferring to get any extra slots in the evening rather than morning. Or avoiding dumping the batteries into the car before 23:30 if you got extra early slots and weren’t looking !
I think that was why. There was a good reason at the time. I just can’t remember exactly why and I can’t be bothered to scroll all the way back. It was to do with avoiding dumping the house batteries into the car outside of the off peak hours anyway and a choice (and still is for some) between preventing the car from charging before 23:30 by setting the cars start time after 23:30 and setting the off peak end time to 05:30. So one might go past 05:30 and the other might start before 23:30 (which was less of an issue to us IMHO).

Yes, you are correct, It seems that if import and export tariffs remain at the same favourable rates (7.5/30/15) as they are now it’s not necessary to set the car’s off peak end time to 05:30 as well as IO ready by time as you say because IO should stop the car at 05:30.
We have our car set to start charging at 23:30 or 23:45 to avoid it starting a charge as soon as it’s plugged in. IO should and usually does catch it and shut it off but it isn’t 100% nor particularly quick to stop it. I could manually stop the charge in the Tesla app every time we plug in but I’ve experienced no downside leaving the start charge setting as we have it.

Well with my setup if Octopus is set to be ready by 10.00 and Tesla 05.30 stop is on IO goes past the tesla 05.30 stop as IO controlling the charge. It’s the Octopus IO finish time that controls the stop time. The tesla stop time just stops the initial charge when plug in when using IO.

Ah, yes, sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant it overrides the 05:30 IO “stop time” (- the “Ready by” time) and gave you extra slots afterwards.

Just re-read your post and it makes sense now.

I think you’ve inadvertently reminded me of why I set an (05:30) end time in the Tesla app. So thank you. It was to stop the car charging immediately when you plugged it in. Yes that was it. So I’ll be leaving that set but modify as necessary.

People were complaining that it took 20mins sometimes after plugging in the car for IO to stop charging the car. All at peak rate or from the batteries of course. Setting the “off peak end time” in the Tesla app prevented that. Setting a 23:30 start time didn’t, if I recall correctly but did stop car charging from house batteries but also you possibly ran the risk of missing earlier slot allocations. Pro’s and cons for both ways depending on what your priority is. 👍🏻

Ah, yes, sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant it overrides the 05:30 IO “stop time” (- the “Ready by” time) and gave you extra slots afterwards.

Just re-read your post and it makes sense now.

I think you’ve inadvertently reminded me of why I set an (05:30) end time in the Tesla app. So thank you. It was to stop the car charging immediately when you plugged it in. Yes that was it. So I’ll be leaving that set but modify as necessary.

People were complaining that it took 20mins sometimes after plugging in the car for IO to stop charging the car. All at peak rate or from the batteries of course. Setting the “off peak end time” in the Tesla app prevented that. Setting a 23:30 start time didn’t, if I recall correctly but did stop car charging from house batteries but also you possibly ran the risk of missing earlier slot allocations. Pro’s and cons for both ways depending on what you priority is. 👍🏻

Yeah, better to select the IO “ready by” time to 05:30 or whatever works best because you run the risk of getting disconnected blocks of peak and off peak if you set 10:00, Which if you have house batteries is a bit of a headache to manage without automation or OCD.

For us using this method it works flawlessly. With very very occasional app modifications and only if we arrive home with less than 25% charge in the car.

Reactions: BushFox
We have our car set to start charging at 23:30 or 23:45 to avoid it starting a charge as soon as it’s plugged in. IO should and usually does catch it and shut it off but it isn’t 100% nor particularly quick to stop it. I could manually stop the charge in the Tesla app every time we plug in but I’ve experienced no downside leaving the start charge setting as we have it.
👆🏻This.

A mild annoyance but still workable. This is prevented using the 05:30 “off peak end” time in the Tesla app instead of a 23:30 start charge time. Up to 15-20 mins isn’t much but if it’s X mins of house battery at 7kW or at peak cost, it adds up if you plug in every day.

And it seems from what @BushFox mentions that it doesn’t interfere with IO charging the car after 05:30 either, so you’re within the Octopus T&C’s and no real downside.

Reactions: BushFox
When I plugged in for my first IO charge in January 2022 the car charged immediately so after a minute or so I manually stopped it via the Tesla app & was going to try again later. Before I got the chance a schedule appeared so I have done the same ever since (stop when the app shows 7kWh charge speed, ie 10-15sec).

I have never let the car charge beyond those few seconds at peak rate. Never had a failed charge, never seen a schedule beyond or overrun 05.30 so maybe all these posts mentioning issues with IO relate to users doing other than as Octopus specify.

I'm tempted to disconnect the car and reconnect using the newer Zappi integration so our other car & my Son-In-Law's EV could also use IO occasionally (rather than via a Zappi schedule) but maybe 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is a safer bet.

Reactions: Pete UK
Hi everyone, so my experience of Octopus has been pretty poor to date, but long story short I have finally managed to sign up to the IO tariff…. This is where the fun begins!

So I followed the process for onboarding and managed to have a successful night of smart charging, however last night was another story! For whatever reason it did not do any smart charging last night, I redid the onboarding process (3am this morning!) and a new schedule was put in place, again it did not start.

So I tried to bump charge to no avail and I also noticed when I tried to manually override via the Tesla app, it failed due to another app having a schedule in place. The only way to get it to start with through the wall charger app!

Sorry for the long post, appreciate any ideas!

Car is 2021 M3P and the wall charger is a Sevadis Maxicharger.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi everyone, so my experience of Octopus has been pretty poor to date, but long story short I have finally managed to sign up to the IO tariff…. This is where the fun begins!

So I followed the process for onboarding and managed to have a successful night of smart charging, however last night was another story! For whatever reason it did not do any smart charging last night, I redid the onboarding process (3am this morning!) and a new schedule was put in place, again it did not start.

So I tried to bump charge to no avail and I also noticed when I tried to manually override via the Tesla app, it failed due to another app having a schedule in place. The only way to get it to start with through the wall charger app!

Sorry for the long post, appreciate any ideas!

Car is 2021 M3P and the wall charger is a Sevadis Maxicharger.

Thanks,

Chris
1 Make sure you have ALL schedules off in the car
2 Make sure you you have ALL smart features/schedules off in your EVSE so it's configured as a completely dumb plug-and-charge device.
3 Plug in and confirm regular charging starts
4 To avoid unnecessary peak charging, it's fine to stop this charge manually from the Tesla app. IOG will eventually do it but is a bit slow to do so at times.
5 Wait for schedule from IO and see whether that successfully completes

If you have previously run any third-party control app such as ev.energy this could also be causing a conflict. If in doubt, reset your Tesla credentials and reconfirm these in IOG so old apps don't have access.

Reactions: Cardo and Roger20
1 Make sure you have ALL schedules off in the car
2 Make sure you you have ALL smart features/schedules off in your EVSE so it's configured as a completely dumb plug-and-charge device.
3 Plug in and confirm regular charging starts
4 To avoid unnecessary peak charging, it's fine to stop this charge manually from the Tesla app. IOG will eventually do it but is a bit slow to do so at times.
5 Wait for schedule from IO and see whether that successfully completes

If you have previously run any third-party control app such as ev.energy this could also be causing a conflict. If in doubt, reset your Tesla credentials and reconfirm these in IOG so old apps don't have access.
Thanks buddy, that’s how it is / was configured.

I plugged in before and manually stopped the instantaneous charge, so no issues there.

The schedule then appeared, and it decided to charge between 11:57 and 12:00 😂 which it did successfully! So hopefully last night was just a one off.

Cheers, Chris

Just had notification of my new IOG charges (West Midlands)

😟

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-14 154316.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 154316.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 16
Same here.

Well, your WM standing charges are horrendous.

But basically they're adding to the daily standing charge what they are reducing from the peak kWh rate. In my case, London, +2p / -3p.

No change on the 7.5p rate though. I would have liked to see it drop to 5p, where it was before.

1710434353466.png

Some of us already had a horrendous daily standing charge - mine was previously 60.177p & will now be 64.974p (+£25/yr)

A 3.29p/kWh reduction in my day rate will have no effect as we only use a fraction of that annually anyway.

Such a pity that those of us were prudent and chose Octopus before all those borderline providers failed are now paying the cost