Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
All in the OP, George ;)
I don’t doubt it, I did ask for forgiveness for not going back reading
After all this talk last night mine failed to charge for the first time since signing up 🤦‍♂️
Blame the kettle :) (hope it’s not inconvenienced you too much)

Mine did and I’ve still a few percent to go with a 30 min slot showing at 8:00 and another at 9:00. Washing machine is ready go..

This is a side of octopus I hadn’t appreciated (apologies to those that tried to spell it out), but something that I feel I might enjoy maximising. I imagine it’s more a summer sport, (extra solar etc) but even so. Let the car run a little lower between charges meaning longer charge is required and set a mid morning require by time and that will presumably increase the chance of a peak time slot. I might only be able to do that a few times a week but the wife bakes one morning a week which could benefit. Another assumption is once the car has reached the state of charge, any slots not started will be cancelled.

Reactions: goRt
Soni thought I would try this theory of anything being used during the smart charge windows being cheap rate. I've come back from the school run and plugged the car in and got a window from 9am till 12.
So does that mean I should get the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and kettle on during that period?

Also is it only in affect if the car is charging, so never reaches full and stops, or as long as it is plugged in?

Im not so sure about the "Windows" always being cheap rates. For a while i was running off the 3 pin plug charger before deciding what wall charger i wanted, and if i had say 30% battery, and wanted it charged to 90% by 05:30, and i plugged in at 1pm, it would start charging at 1 and wouldnt stop until the 0530 in the morning. I would be charged the full rate during the day up until 1130. Not sure if it works any different with the wall charger, but whenever i plug in to charge overnight to 90% its always been within the 1130 and 530 window.

What i used to do with the 3 pin plug, as i could only charge 35 miles over night, i would plug it in and adjust the % to charge to until it gave a window of charging that was mainly in the cheap overnight rate.

Soni thought I would try this theory of anything being used during the smart charge windows being cheap rate. I've come back from the school run and plugged the car in and got a window from 9am till 12.
So does that mean I should get the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and kettle on during that period?

Also is it only in affect if the car is charging, so never reaches full and stops, or as long as it is plugged in?
Those better informed than me will answer but I believe our meters only report half hour consumption so if the half hour is cheap, the whole half hour is cheap.

I’m on another slot and the car has t started charging (yet) but it’s down on the smart charging schedule so I presume they’ll take that.

If not, the benefit for the whole house is near impossible to manage/exploit/take advantage if

You can absolutely but I'm surprised you got a slot until 12 as IO setup 'Ready by' time can only be selected between 4am to 11am.
I never had a slot in the morning extend further than that.

Those better informed than me will answer but I believe our meters only report half hour consumption so if the half hour is cheap, the whole half hour is cheap.

I’m on another slot and the car has t started charging (yet) but it’s down on the smart charging schedule so I presume they’ll take that.

If not, the benefit for the whole house is near impossible to manage/exploit/take advantage if
Indeed. Therefore if you get a slot starting say at 9:57 when you plug in, then that whole half hour from 9:30 will be billed at the cheap rate.

You can absolutely but I'm surprised you got a slot until 12 as IO setup 'Ready by' time can only be selected between 4am to 11am.
I never had a slot in the morning extend further than that.
I was surprised as well but thought I'd see what happened considering it failed to charge last night for some reason.
Mine is set to be ready by 6am.
Actually seem to be having issues as it won't charge my car at all. I've even tried a bump and nothing happened.
Removed cables several times now as well. Worried as I've a long journey tomorrow and setting off very early and need to be confident it is charged.

I was surprised as well but thought I'd see what happened considering it failed to charge last night for some reason.
Actually seem to be having issues as it won't charge my car at all. I've even tried a bump and nothing happened.
Removed cables several times now as well. Worried as I've a long journey tomorrow and setting off very early and need to be confident it is charged.
Okay I've just looked at today solar / wind generation projections and it actually makes sense. Even Agile is in single digits p/kWh until 3:30pm. You'll be helping the grid unload all this power generation today!

Reactions: Carl Routledge
Have you tried reconnecting the car (if that's the device octopus control)? The collective wisdom here seems to suggest that's a thing to try. There's something about removing any tokens in the car first, but I've not had to do that.

Have you tried reconnecting the car (if that's the device octopus control)? The collective wisdom here seems to suggest that's a thing to try. There's something about removing any tokens in the car first, but I've not had to do that.
No it's my zappi that is connected and has worked flawlessly until last night and again this morning.
Hoping it kicks in at 8:30 tonight as that's my first window this evening

I couldn't work out how to spot additional slots on intelligent go via the API - can you provide a pointer to which endpoint you use.
It doesn't use the standard API, it resides on kraken - planned dispatches contain the UTC time of the charging slots both within and additional to the 23:30-05:30 period

I'm fairly sure I posted some js code earlier in this thread

Reactions: allena29

Summary for anyone else needing the detail:
  1. IO permanently gives us 6 hours at the off-peak rate
  2. Any scheduled slots that fall either side of that are also at the off-peak rate. There is no limit on how many slots Octopus may provide at the off-peak rate, it is determined by your SOC target vs the amount when you plug in. The most I have been given is 8.5 hours off-peak & I know of others with more than this.
  3. Everything else is at peak rate.
  4. If the schedule changes dynamically overnight then any slots outside of the guaranteed 6 hours will either revert to peak or move to off-peak accordingly.
  5. Everything the house smart meter records during all these IO slots are also at the same off-peak rate, regardless of whether it's car, cars, battery charging, household appliances etc.
  6. ...So, 6 hours fixed period plus all variable IO slots are at the off-peak rate for anything used, everything else is peak.

…(as in point 4, above, beware dynamic slots changing so a 'scheduled' slot outside of 23.30-05.30 may move & therefore if you set high consumption household devices to run outside of these hours it's possible you may find them billed at resulting peak rate cost. We therefore only set Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Tumble dryer etc in the guaranteed low rate 6 hours to be sure).

Reactions: Lumos
Summary for anyone else needing the detail:

…(as in point 4, above, beware dynamic slots changing so a 'scheduled' slot outside of 23.30-05.30 may move & therefore if you set high consumption household devices to run outside of these hours it's possible you may find them billed at resulting peak rate cost. We therefore only set Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Tumble dryer etc in the guaranteed low rate 6 hours to be sure).

Having had in the past a tumble dryer start smoking gently with a strong smell of burning as it failed in use (not overnight fortunately), personally I’d be very wary about setting washers and dryers during the night.

New poster here for this thread...
I'm trying to get my head round using Intelligent Octopus tariffs for the future

I have

M3LR 2022 10k annual
6kW solar PV
Tesla PW

I'm considering getting
Second Tesla PW
ASHP probably 12kW

I'm currently on Octopus Go which works perfectly for the car and PW, I use hardly any peak electricity.

If I get the ASHP, can IO (or other intelligent tariffs) get me as much of my energy off peak as possible by keeping the PWs charged and the ASHP running (which needs to run all the time, though with varying loads)?

It seems that most of the intelligent octopus tariffs focus on one system (car, house battery, heating) but I don't see a tariff which takes a system like mine as a whole.

Very grateful for any insights

New poster here for this thread...
I'm trying to get my head round using Intelligent Octopus tariffs for the future

I have

M3LR 2022 10k annual
6kW solar PV
Tesla PW

I'm considering getting
Second Tesla PW
ASHP probably 12kW

I'm currently on Octopus Go which works perfectly for the car and PW, I use hardly any peak electricity.

If I get the ASHP, can IO (or other intelligent tariffs) get me as much of my energy off peak as possible by keeping the PWs charged and the ASHP running (which needs to run all the time, though with varying loads)?

It seems that most of the intelligent octopus tariffs focus on one system (car, house battery, heating) but I don't see a tariff which takes a system like mine as a whole.

Very grateful for any insights
IOG will be much better in terms of use and cost especially if you export.
We have 3 EVs, 17 kWh in heat pumps, 19 kWh GivEnergy batteries and 5.6 kW of solar.
Last months bill was £4 and that includes octopus overcharging 23 kWh of peak electric, of 27 kWh peak use, which we didn’t use.

Ps: further to all the posts above if you get home and plug your car in at 21.59 and get a schedule saying 21.59-05.30 you’ll have off peak electric from 21.30.
If you have a schedule from 04.30-09.00 and unplug your car at 08.31 then you have off peak electric until 9am.

Last edited:
Thanks Yuff that's useful. Are you able to get your house batteries to charge at off peak periods in the day as well as at night? I rarely need even the 4 hour off peak to keep the car charged, but it would be great to top up the Powerwalls during the day

Thanks Yuff that's useful. Are you able to get your house batteries to charge at off peak periods in the day as well as at night? I rarely need even the 4 hour off peak to keep the car charged, but it would be great to top up the Powerwalls during the day
Hi David
The GivEnergy app has quick set buttons to charge, discharge and pause. So if I have a schedule I can charge the batteries straight away.
I’m not sure about PWs.
What I will say is IOG is a great product and very very flexible and very generous at times.
I suspect with the long range version you will get plenty of schedules outside the standard off peak hours.