Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve signed up and the schedule changes even after it’s initially set. So you might see something at 8pm, but by 11:30 it might have changed, it doesn’t (shouldn’t ) matter to you, you asked it to be at a % by a time, how it gets there is up to them, I imagine making the most of the wholesale prices for each 30 min block (which is why we can get the deal)

I’m with @Drew57 - don’t over complicate things.

Well, I set the car/app as you stated and plugged in. I got the following schedules.
View attachment 1053091

However looking at what actually happened I find it didn't follow the OIG schedule!
View attachment 1053092
The charging started correctly at 3:30 but didn’t stop at 4:00. It continued to charge until 4:37 when it reached 90% SoC.

Note: When no schedules are set in the Tesla app the charging will follow very closely the OIG schedules.
Ah, ok.

TeslaFi is pretty handy.

Looks like it did exactly what it’s supposed to do though, rather than “messing it up”. Octopus most likely dynamically changed your charging slots at some point to balance the grid after you first got a schedule by the looks of it. Which is common. Was it related to setting an off peak end time in the car though? (I doubt it) Or just coincidence? And does it even matter if Octopus decide to use different slots after they issue the initial schedule? The whole point is you want x% by y O’clock and Octopus decide when and how to get you there.

Did you notice that the car didn’t start charging immediately after you plugged it in though? - YAY ! 👏👏 😁😁

Just to be clear. I don’t have any “charging schedule” set in the Tesla app. All I have set is the toggle telling the car when the cheap period ends (same time as the “Ready by time”
In the Octopus app, which is actually what controls the charging schedule, not that toggle), which has the benefit of not having to stop the charge when plugging in and that doesn’t interfere with how Octopus want to charge it intelligently.

I’m all for keeping it simple and letting Octopus choose the slots it wants as well.

It’s not always easy to keep it simple if you have solar batteries to manage as well though.

A little thought has to go into it to avoid accidentally achieving the exact opposite of what we and Octopus are all aiming for, which is using the greenest grid electricity (and reducing our bills). So for example, if I put a “ready by” time of 11:00am. I may find that 38kW of green energy stored in my Solar batteries all goes into the car (instead of the greenest electricity octopus are trying to shove in from the grid) - leaving the solar batteries empty 🤦🏻‍♂️ and I have to import electricity at the highest CO2 intensity levels later in the day (or for the whole day in winter).

I realise that not everyone using IOG has solar and batteries, so that’s not applicable to them.
- But you will avoid a bit of peak import or battery dumping for however long it takes you to open up the app and stop the charge though (assuming you don’t forget), which was the whole point of my initial response to the OP, who was asking how to prevent it doing that. If you like doing it that way that’s absolutely fine. For me; I like to make things simple, greener and cheaper for everyone.

The rest of how octopus intelligently charge the car is unaffected. It does what it’s supposed to.

It amazes me, as one of the earliest adopters how many people over-complicate this. It works properly when Octopus controls everything.
It doesn't always work properly unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago it simply stopped giving me charging schedules. My setup is M3P and Pod Point charger. No scheduling set in the car, charger set to dumb mode. After a few failed attempts I disconnected the car, intending to reconnect it and do a new onboarding. However, I now have no way to reconnect the car. The instructions supplied by Octopus don't work and, so far, they've been unable to help. It doesn't bother me hugely as I charge manually, putting the Pod Point into smart mode. But it's not working in the spirit of the tariff and I don't want to lose it as the export rate is so good.

It doesn't always work properly unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago it simply stopped giving me charging schedules. My setup is M3P and Pod Point charger. No scheduling set in the car, charger set to dumb mode. After a few failed attempts I disconnected the car, intending to reconnect it and do a new onboarding. However, I now have no way to reconnect the car. The instructions supplied by Octopus don't work and, so far, they've been unable to help. It doesn't bother me hugely as I charge manually, putting the Pod Point into smart mode. But it's not working in the spirit of the tariff and I don't want to lose it as the export rate is so good.

Don’t know if you’ve tried this already but having disconnected, if you have a button in the ‘Home’ tab of the Octopus app (probably about halfway down screen and you may have to scroll left or right for it) that suggests setting up IOG as a new user use that rather than trying to do it from ‘Account & Settings’ > ‘Add Octopus Device’.

Also delete any leftover virtual key in the car.

Don’t know if you’ve tried this already but having disconnected, if you have a button in the ‘Home’ tab of the Octopus app (probably about halfway down screen and you may have to scroll left or right for it) that suggests setting up IOG as a new user use that rather than trying to do it from ‘Account & Settings’ > ‘Add Octopus Device’.

Also delete any leftover virtual key in the car.
Thanks for the suggestion. This is the problem though, I simply don't have that "Get started" button or link anywhere in the app and this is what I don't seem able to get across to Octopus support. It doesn't help that email responses from them take several days, so it’s a pretty slow dialogue. I've tried reinstalling the app - on two devices; an Android tablet and an Android phone - but it makes no difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is the problem though, I simply don't have that "Get started" button or link anywhere in the app and this is what I don't seem able to get across to Octopus support. It doesn't help that email responses from them take several days, so it’s a pretty slow dialogue. I've tried reinstalling the app - on two devices; an Android tablet and an Android phone - but it makes no difference.
have you tried logging into Octopus on a deskptop browser? i find sometimes you get more information on chrome/firefox etc rather than using a device in the app or even chrome on the device.
I have found that Octopus support has been somewhat poor recently. When i joined them over a year ago they were brilliant, so i transfered the mother in-law to Octopus but they have been no end of bother and useless to get hold of or get any assitance. With the app on her account, you dont have a box to enter the meter reading, and they just dont help. Its something their end as it works fine on my account on the same device.

If you click on your face in the top LHS of the app, to get to ‘Account and settings’. do you not see the “devices” icon that you can click on?

IMG_9283.jpeg

I do see the "Devices" icon but All that gives me is one option - "Add Octopus device", which if you click it opens the camera, expecting a QR code.
Have you started the signup for Intelligent Octopus Go on their website in order to get the Home Screen "Get Started" button? That's the one you want to click.

EDIT : Try scanning this QR code with your phone :

1717502982179.png

Tesla_IO_step_1b.width-800.png

Follow the full instructions here : Joining Intelligent Octopus Go with a Tesla

Last edited:
The issue we are having is Octopus does not support having more than one Tesla in a Tesla account. It had worked fine for us with only one of our cars linked to IOG and the other we just charged manually during the lower rate period. Both our wall connectors are Tesla ones so those can not be linked either. Manually charging both cars is no hassle at all but I appreciate it is not in the spirit of the IOG ethos.

Indeed! I've had several email exchanges with them so far, with them suggesting the same things as the people on this forum have. I'm awaiting the next suggestion from them. The trouble is that with several days for each reply from them it's a very slow process!
you can also call them or contact via twitter - both cases produce faster responses