Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A vaguely tangential question, but what is your strategy when going to a Chargefox unit like this in terms of preconditioning, since in Australia the car doesn’t recognise third party suppliers? Set the nav for Heatherbrae but go to Karuah? Seems like that’d be annoying. Just not precondition and take the rate hit?

Well, I didn’t even know preconditioning was a thing. I figure if I’m charging after driving the car for 2+ hours the batteries don’t need any preconditioning. My charging at Karuah has been between 120-180 kW depending on SOC at the start so I haven’t seen a “rate hit”. I also don’t use the Nav on these trips since I know where I’m going.

72AEE938-B8BB-4C1B-8277-0F7884B46FAC.jpeg

I got 170kW from a Chargefox 350 after driving 100km at 110km/hr with no preconditioning and SOC 22%. Day was 25degC. So battery was plenty warm enough after the one hour drive because 170kW is about the limit for a Chargefox 350 on a Model 3.
I've had 190-195kw (500A) a few times (after forcing preconditioning by navigating to SC instead). Normal cruising won't usually get you there. A couple of hot laps up and down the street can help though (according to Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring).

Per a post from Ben H on the TM3Y FB forum, Evie installing chargers at Macquarie Centre (one of the current Sydney supercharger locations).

Same level but closer to BigW entrance.

FB_IMG_1645876439783.jpg

The one thing Macquarie is really missing (given it had a cinema, ice skating rink and is one of Sydney's bigger centres) is Type 2 chargers.

It's actually got a single 2xType 1 Chargepoint station that got moved when Telsa installed, but zero Type 2s.

Ouyen had its last successful charge on January 10th, it was reported broken on January 11th (according to Plugshare) - over 3 months ago. This does not inspire much confidence in Evie or Tritium and is a bad look for EV long distance driving.

Yes some of us use Plugshare / apps to try to find out what is offline when planning a trip but the majority of new EV buyers won't. Driving Sydney / Canberra - Adelaide or return they will turn up in Ouyen with low state of charge only to be told to go elsewhere. How many people check ahead to see if a petrol station is broken when travelling?

Yes there are supply issues etc but if you are going to provide a critical piece of infrastructure (and charge for its use) at least include redundancy and an effective maintenance plan that starts from day one (which includes holding adequate spare parts - pretty basic stuff).

Ouyen had its last successful charge on January 10th, it was reported broken on January 11th (according to Plugshare) - over 3 months ago. This does not inspire much confidence in Evie or Tritium and is a bad look for EV long distance driving.

Yes there are supply issues etc but if you are going to provide a critical piece of infrastructure (and charge for its use) at least include redundancy and an effective maintenance plan that starts from day one (which includes holding adequate spare parts - pretty basic stuff).

There’s a story about this general problem a few days ago in The Age / SMH:

Yes some of us use Plugshare / apps to try to find out what is offline when planning a trip but the majority of new EV buyers won't.

This

How many people check ahead to see if a petrol station is broken when travelling?
This
And this.

General public patients for broken chargers will be low and the companies like Evie need to get it right.

I was at a charger recently at a large shopping mall and thought id try out the new cable I had bought. Neither charger in the box would work despite ChargeFox resetting the unit 3 times. The whole ordeal was a nightmare and it was raining. Most families and folks with more time on their hands will see this issue as mass market adoption begins and go buy another ICE car.

I eventually gave up out of frustration and left as I had already wasted 30+ minutes fooling with it and had better things to do, and I am a passionate EV user who wants to see them adopted by the whole of Regional Aus (unless Daniel Andrews screws us again by increasing the EV Tax which disadvantages those of us who do ALOT of country driving but don't get me started on that).

As @RareEarth had said " if you are going to provide a critical piece of infrastructure (and charge for its use) at least include redundancy and an effective maintenance plan that starts from day one (which includes holding adequate spare parts - pretty basic stuff)."

This hits the nail on the head.

Reactions: Hairyman
Quote from the article in the Age:

>>While ChargeFox is not responsible for maintenance in its network, it is responsible for alerting those who own the stations – usually councils or shopping centre owners – to any malfunctions.<<

It's not necessary to have an IQ in double figures to see where the problem lies!

Spotted by @cafz in another thread, worth mentioning here!

Marulan was on Evie's ultrafast rollout map for years, but they seem to have removed that map from their web site (and also seemed to have halted rolling out ultrafast sites).

Evie has now received grants for:
- Ultra-rapid network - highways nationally (part-done / stalled)
- Charging the Regions - NW Victoria (complete)
- Future Fuels Fund - capital cities nationally (only just started)
- DCAV - Regional Victoria (announced)

It is indeed disappointing to see that their map has been removed. Presumably this doesn't mean they're stopping and perhaps are reconsidering some locations, or merging their plans where locations overlap.

Generally with grants the recipients are paid in instalments, so they're not taking the money and running but it would be nice to see them finish things.

The ultra rapid network is supposed to be done by August according to this https://arena.gov.au/assets/2021/07/evie-lessons-learnt-report.pdf
They were at 12 sites in June 2021 with four more supposedly on the way - and the Arena funding was for 42 sites.

* Coochin Creek QLD, Seven Hills NSW, Dandenong VIC and Coomera QLD are all located on the fringes of major capital cities and are designed for up to six 350kW chargers l...
* Tarcutta NSW, Avenel VIC, Taree NSW, Townsville QLD, Campbell Town TAS, Tailem Bend SA, Brighton TAS and Macksville NSW, which are located in remote regional locations are designed to host two 350kW chargers and are connected at LV with capacities ranging from 400-500kVA per site.
Since then
Bundamba Qld, Cluden Qld, Taylor's Lakes Vic, Westbury TAS
Are the only 350kW sites I can find.

Meanwhile they've opened a lot of 25-50kW sites in Vic (CTR) and NSW (Arena City Program)