Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bacchus Marsh site back in local paper.. Again nothing substantial just a line which says EV charger…

No idea if Evie or Chargefox…

Oh this one again. There's nothing apart from a rectangle on a plan that says "future electric vehicle charger".

If someone can find the updated documents that this article is referring to (I didn't have any luck scouring the council site) it might provide more info?

Think this is the approval for the childcare centre.

Unfortunately they've just taken some artistic license on the EV charger - is only a single spot.

Screenshot_20220112-153919.png

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Evie's first Melbourne charger funded by the latest Arena round - at Collingwood Library

So I don't get it.... It's city location so power infrastructure is already there, there is a Fed Govt grant, the council is providing the space and yet it's still 40c per kwh which is equal or more than Chargefox charge for their commercial sites (Usually 40c per kwh minus 20% discount for car clubs, which you can get a free membership for)

Chargefox has also received Arena backing for the bulk of its sites.

Remember that Tesla charges 51c/kWh in Australia, has much higher utilisation rates and only aims to Breakeven on charging - ultimately Evie and Chargefox aim to make a profit (at the moment I suspect neither of them are).

Over the longer term as charger utilisation increases I'd expect rates will come down but for now most of them are $50-300k pieces of infrastructure that don't get used a huge amount.

I don't think the equipment or installation cost even comes into it - that's probably what the grants mostly go towards. The demand charges alone for a moderately utilised site end up being the biggest contributor to cost from what I can tell.

The demand charges alone for a moderately utilised site end up being the biggest contributor to cost from what I can tell
I don't understand why if demand charges are the issue and as expensive as suggested, why aren't batteries being installed onsite? They should more than pay for themselves.

A quick google tells me a PowerPack costs $170k (probably USD) however the Evie guys told me a 2 stall ultra-rapid installation can exceed $1M, so adding a battery doesn't increase the total cost by a huge amount.

A PowerPack can supply 130kW for just less than 2 hours (232kWh storage). If usage really is as infrequent as they say, this is plenty of time to recharge between cars.

130kW would also reduce the grid draw dramatically except for extreme cases (2 Model 3 LRs turn up simultaneously to a 2 stall ultra-rapid and begin drawing 190kW each) and even then it reduces the peak demand by 35%.