Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV's to pay Road Tax from April 2025

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm amazed it's causing any consternation whatsoever. Did people really think the government of the day would just blithely watch VED taper off and not look to plug the hole?

There are a hundred other fiscal and monetary policies worthy of people's ire. This isn't one of them.
Such as…….raising fuel duty by 23%??

Attachments

• E37CCD5F-9773-460C-BD53-23A99A9DCEEB.jpeg
    E37CCD5F-9773-460C-BD53-23A99A9DCEEB.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: SteelmanMFC
I knew it would happen, EVs paying VED... I didn't expect it to be implemented this way tho...

I expected the luxury supplement to be a things for EVs with zero VED first (2025) and then VED from 2030 on newly registered vehicles...

So whatever... I hate this shower in charge anyways so just another reason I can moan about them ... It's a neverending list it seems in recent years..

Come to think of it... It means as it stands you'll have ICE vehicles registered in 2017 or before paying £30 VED alongside EVs registered in 2017+ paying £165+ ...

It's absolutely nonsense if that is the case... Should increase the tax on those as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 26ct2143
I’ve got no problem with this. The zero VED was designed to nudge behaviour change. Behaviour is changing and if the quoted 2025 figures turn out to be true, beyond tipping point.
In short if 50% of new cars are electric, I think that it’s pretty sensible to tax them. Though given what I’m increasingly seeing at busy superchargers the more sensible next nudge might be making the first 20 minutes of public charging VAT free…

I'm afraid this is the point where I'm going to bang on about having been driving electric cars exclusively for 9 years, and start shaking a fist and talking about "back in my day when EVs were new..." :)

This was an inevitability, and there was a tax break to ostensibly encourage early adoption. Of course, the government quite rightly expected naff-all EVs to be sold to start with and thus they wouldn't be losing much money, so it's not like they were making a big sacrifice in order to do some greenwashing. This was clear all those years ago when the choice of EVs in the UK was basically Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe or Model S.

There's been a pandemic, the economy was dodgy before that, interest rates have been at record lows for decades, Brexit has cost billions (I live two miles from the Farage-Garage next to the M20), supply chain shenanigans, wars in Ukraine... There's a lot that needs paying for. We're all going to have to stump up, and even then it probably won't be enough. IMO as a country we've been living beyond our means for a long, long time.

If anyone's expecting to not get screwed-over by whichever bunch of privately-educated disconnected toff career-politicians-who-have-never-had-a-real-job-or-known-anyone-that-has happens to be in charge at any given time, then I invite them to reevaluate their expectations.

Once we're fully into the EV transition, there's no way the government are going to let go of whatever revenue they get from fuel. I fully anticipate that we'll all get taxed on the electricity we generate at home, because they'll need the cash.

That is to say, we should all have expected this, it seems largely reasonable to me, and I genuinely feel for anyone who got on the EV bandwagon because they thought it would be cheaper. It must suck having made a large financial investment under what now seems like a bait-and-switch.

Last edited:
There are more ICE cars with £0 VED than there are electric cars. Most of the money that is being added to the coffers will be coming from ICE vehicles. The change is that all vehicles (regardless of power unit ) will have to pay VED. And we all knew this was coming. I hadn't paid VED for years before buying an EV. The headlines catch the eye more effectively when it's about electric cars ... finally getting those awful virtue signalling EV drivers banged to rights ... when in fact most of the money will be coming from ICE drivers.

Anyone who says this stuff is never retrospective has a short memory.

The confusion is simply that there is a difference between changing the system vs. changing the rates.

Today was simply changing the rates. No one actually suggested changing of the rates hadn't happened before.

The announcements from the chancellor is purely a show and often lacking details, the detail that followed does now show there was nothing especially reforming about today.
Retrospective doesn't even come into it when the system hasn't been changed.

It was always going to happen, its just unfortunate it was so soon.
I suppose the sudden push to EV's now as the market has realised its best to move to EV's, Im the biggest petrol head going, but I knew it was time to get an EV now.

What I dont understand is the raise in fuel costs, surely demand is getting lower each month as new EV's are delivered, but the fuel costs are at the highest they've ever been and set to increase another 12p / litre...

Surely as demand drops the fuel price drops with it?

As for Road Tax or VED, always was going to happen. It should however be subsidized for EV's.
Its scary to think now with electric prices increasing that savings from an EV is just non existent now. I do remember 20 years ago where there was a push to go Diesel as it was worth more for your money... Now the same "push" is happening with EV's and if we are following trends its not looking good.

You just wait until they start charging you tax on generating your own electricity...

Is anyone crunched the numbers for new MY's being delivered in 2022? How much will the tax be in 2025?

The reverse can also be true with economies of scale.

But in this case it comes down to supply vs demand. Supply has dropped faster than demand has dropped. Recently OPEC has cut production, they rather like higher prices.

It's a funny old world.
There’s also the possibility that drilling new wells becomes uneconomic as you can‘t sell the oil either at a price or in sufficient quantity to cover the cost. Some estimates put this figure as $1trn in assets lost by oil and gas companies over the next decade as transport switches to EVs and energy production moves to renewables. While I don’t quite think we at peak oil demand in the UK yet, we might actually be only a few years away from demand dropping very quickly.

On the subject of VED, this is worth about £7bn a year, so it was always inevitable that the vehicles were there was no charge would move to costing motorists at some point as the govnement would have to raise taxes or cut spending to cover the shortfall as more and more vehicles fall into the zero VED band. The bigger problem will be the loss of fuel duty and VAT on petrol and diesel which is currently worth about £28bn to the government. The obvious solution is road pricing but thats pretty much election suicide for any party that tries to introduce it.

It does throw up some interesting anomalies. My friend with a low emissions petrol Audi pays £30 a year in VED - my EV with zero emissions will pay 450% more. I assume the VED method of calculating duty on emissions will need to be overhauled.

I am very relaxed about paying VED, I use the roads and therefore I should pay and so should all road users including those with ICE that are currently rated at £0, can't see how anyone can possibly have an issue with it.
I presume everyone wants an NHS, Schools, emergency services, street lighting, armed forces etc etc - well it needs to be paid for, the staff that work in delivering those services expect a living wage, and the money has to come from us all to pay for them.

Anyone that's been driving some time has got used to paying all the bits and bobs associated with driving a car, driving lessons, obtaining a licence, the driving test, buying a car, annual MOT, Insurance, VED, Servicing, maintenance and repair, and fuel, we have got used to VAT on pretty much everything and even insurance tax. If people can afford a BEV then they can afford the VED, we know it won't be £165 come 2025.

I only drive about 1500 to 2000 miles per year, when i had the 997 gen 2, 911 it was £550 per year - and most of the time it was sat in the garage, but I accepted the tax as just part of the deal on owning that type of car and accept there is no such thing as a free meal.

I've always been a petrol head but there is no way I would ever revert to an ICE again even though come the 2030 date you will be able to pick up some very nice cars for peanuts - their value will plummet; fuel will be horrendously priced no matter what happens globally to the price of oil because governments are committed to eradicating ice emissions from the world - they know they won't achieve that aim for donkeys years after the target date, but they will keep raising the price people have to pay to keep one on the road.

The future is zero emissions at the vehicle level, electricity generation at the power station has the benefit of economy of scale, plus renewables will proliferate - just look at Gridserve as an example of how to do it - fields of solar panels charging 6 mwhr batteries to charge vehicles - with the national grid as a backup.

It really doesn't matter what they call a tax - we are talking about VED but it could be called anything you like - the government need to raise taxes to pay for things we all want, so they invent a name for a tax which presents the appearance that the individual has a choice, so you don't have to pay fuel duty or VAT or VED - just don't buy a car - easy isn't it?
Governments are aware of people's reactions to any suggested changes - they have teams of psychologists predicting how we will react, and when resistance will be overcome - changes are usually leaked prior to introduction and a worst case scenario is expected - then we get the official announcement - which has a lower impact and we all breathe a sigh of relief but importantly for the government we have accepted the strategy - which will be developed in the future to generate more revenue.

We all know that the future of motoring will include road charges, pay per mile, again we will have a choice - like don't use a motorway, modern BEVs can track our every journey - no need for roadside cameras to be able to apply charges - Its coming, it's a fact so prepare for it now.

Whatever happens in the future, If I remain healthy enough to drive I will, happy to give up other things, if need be, I will probably moan at things I don't like but after 55 years of owning cars it's something I couldn't possibly give up whilst I draw breath.