Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Executive Rear seats discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was a stupid option to begin with. why would anyone pay more for less seats?!?? it's a no brainer. and someone at tesla didnt have a brain when they came up with that idea.

I loved the option and would have ordered if I was buying now. The only drawback in my mind is that they wouldn't fold flat. I've had three adults in the back of my Model S, and it's pretty much useless for that anyway. They were sitting on top of each other. Kids, maybe, but mine are all grown up.

I loved the option and would have ordered if I was buying now. The only drawback in my mind is that they wouldn't fold flat. I've had three adults in the back of my Model S, and it's pretty much useless for that anyway. They were sitting on top of each other. Kids, maybe, but mine are all grown up.

I've had 3 adults in the back of the Model S too, and they all sat comfortably.

I later asked my wife (who was sitting in the middle seat) if it was tight or uncomfortable, and she said it was completely fine.

YMMV

Why have an executive Model S when the Model X will better suited to it?

Because they are entirely different vehicles, appealing to entirely different markets. Sure, there may be some overlap, but there are a lot of people who would consider purchasing a Model S, but never consider a Model X, as well as a lot of people who would consider buying a Model X but never consider purchasing a Model S.

I'm sure Tesla had their reasons for eliminating (for now) the option, but I don't think it was because it will be an option on the Model X.

gone from tesla.cn

Model_S_Design_Studio_Tesla_Motors_-_2015-07-07_09.31.48.jpg

Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, etc... with executive rear seating do not permit the rear seat to be folded down. Ordering all the options required for executive rear seating on an S class costs $5600 so for $3600 more than what Tesla was charging you get reclining seats, and one foot rest... OH, and a smaller trunk.. which applies to the other brands too.

Not seeing any Model S's at Sebring, so calling it a "drivers car" is questionable at best.... its a four door luxury sedan that goes fast.. just like a Porsche Panamera, Mercedes CLS63, or AUDI S7.... all of which only seat 4 people. (Audi can seat 5 if you option it that way)

My point is the luxury amenities offered by Mercedes S Class, Audi A8, BMW 7 series for the rear seat passengers is in a completely different league. The Model S is a tough sell for people who spend their time in the back seat without significant upgrades to the interior. As much as I like the Model S for driving, if I were to be chamfered in, I'd opt for an S class with the reclining seats. And for the people who can afford a chauffer whether the rear seat package costs $2,500 or $10,000 is irrelevant.

Tesla would not have discontinued the rear Exec Seats if they were selling well.

My point is the luxury amenities offered by Mercedes S Class, Audi A8, BMW 7 series for the rear seat passengers is in a completely different league. The Model S is a tough sell for people who spend their time in the back seat without significant upgrades to the interior. As much as I like the Model S for driving, if I were to be chamfered in, I'd opt for an S class with the reclining seats. And for the people who can afford a chauffer whether the rear seat package costs $2,500 or $10,000 is irrelevant.

Tesla would not have discontinued the rear Exec Seats if they were selling well.

I agree that it probably didn't sell well, and if was going to be chauffeured around an S class or 7 series would be my first choice over a Tesla.
I just dont get people bashing the option, its no different than a CLS, Panamera or S7.. The executive seats are more comfortable than the regular ones, look better, give better rear vision, and have heated backs. If you need to be able to fold your seat then you have that choice of sticking with the standard seats.

I think that the rear center console doomed the option from the start..

I think this video pretty clearly shows why Tesla discontinued the executive rear seats: They don't measure up to the competition! If I'm going to ride around in the back seat of my own car, I'm definitely going to opt for a car with reclining rear seats. (More leg and head room would be a must, too!)

Love the executive rear seats

They didn't discontinue, they just ran out of the executive seats for the old model S interior. Wait a couple weeks.
Got my P85D last month with the exec rear seats. Love them. Took another couple on a long trip 3 months ago in an 85 with the older seats and they were uncomfortable the whole trip. I sat in the back for several hours and agreed with them (one of the main reasons for buying a new D).

Are you sure that they are only discontinued because of supplies? Or is that just an educated guess?

- - - Updated - - -

To markb1 - I agree. If I am buying a car only to sit in the back seat, why buy a Tesla? The joy is in the driving, not just riding around smugly thinking that you are doing more than anyone else to reduce your carbon footprint.

Got my P85D last month with the exec rear seats. Love them. Took another couple on a long trip 3 months ago in an 85 with the older seats and they were uncomfortable the whole trip. I sat in the back for several hours and agreed with them (one of the main reasons for buying a new D).

Are you sure that they are only discontinued because of supplies? Or is that just an educated guess?

Just a regular guess. Either the S will get a better executive seat, or the S is being refreshed and the old executive seats no longer fit. They aren't going to cancel executive seats so soon after introduction.

They didn't discontinue, they just ran out of the executive seats for the old model S interior. Wait a couple weeks.

^^ this

Cancelation of exec seats... Over 60% price reduction on replacement parts and body panels (another thread)... Cancellation of Model S front console in all trim levels but Piano Black... Model X reveal just around the corner with "something else", according to Elon... I think the writing is on the wall that we are going to see a major Model S refresh at the X unveiling. Think about it. Once the X is shown, with its highly improved interior and technology, who will want to buy an S with older technology and older interior that doesn't measure up?

Tesla's year-end sales goals require the Model S to continue selling in its record-setting quantities, and that won't happen if it isn't completely overhauled for Model X launch. Another data point... Fremont factory tour guides are telling folks that S and X will be manufactured on the same line. There is no new or separate line for Model X, apparently, according to someone who just took the tour and posted in one of our FB groups. The implication, obviously, is that both cars will have many common components.

Model 3 design is expected to be shown towards end of Q1 next year, and Model S will need to be significantly more upscale to justify the significantly higher price. Speculation is that Model X will contain a higher capacity battery pack. If true, then Tesla will have to update the Model S to the same capacity at the same time. That will add range to Model S and give it further differentiation from a lower range Model 3 early next year.

My 2013 P85 should be worth about $25 in less than 90 days.

Last edited:
^^ this

Another data point... Fremont factory tour guides are telling folks that S and X will be manufactured on the same line. There is no new or separate line for Model X, apparently, according to someone who just took the tour and posted in one of our FB groups. The implication, obviously, is that both cars will have many common components.

That's not news and there's nothing to be implied. Both Elon and JB have been saying that since day 1. Yes they will be built on the same line. They will also share 60% of the same parts. It's in their Q&A sessions from last year.

My 2013 P85 should be worth about $25 in less than 90 days.

If you're right about a major design refresh, then the fairly small number of "original Model S" cars produced from 2012-2015 will have serious collector's value in 20 years. It'll be like having a first-generation Ford Model T. I wouldn't worry about resale value over the longer term!

Not seeing any Model S's at Sebring, so calling it a "drivers car" is questionable at best.... its a four door luxury sedan that goes fast.. just like a Porsche Panamera, Mercedes CLS63, or AUDI S7.... all of which only seat 4 people. (Audi can seat 5 if you option it that way)

It's not a matter of whether the car is taken to the track or not. The Model S is by most accounts enjoyable to drive on public roads. It was designed to be centered around the driver.

it was a stupid option to begin with. why would anyone pay more for less seats?!?? it's a no brainer. and someone at tesla didnt have a brain when they came up with that idea.

To each their own.
IMHO, it's a loss for a Tesla as a sport vehicle!
I now have 2 performance 4-door Sport Cars with a center rear console that can only seat 2 in the rear buckets.

It was one of the cool options that made me pull the trigger and end my several years of procrastination for buying a MS.

I have several cars and a Pick-up to choose from so utility in a MS is not what I'm looking for.
Personally, I will not own a car with a rear hatch and fold down rear seats, so the Executive rear seats at least made the Tesla acceptable.
My personal preference is a Tesla 2-door coupe body with a traditional trunk that would only accommodate 2 rear seat passengers (without legs if necessary as is the case with my 850Ci).

I assume a Tesla with a front bench seat is a plus from your perspective? Then you could seat 8, just like a Mini-Van.

Personally, I think we are seeing the phasing out of the 1.5 gen seats and next-gen/2.0 seats will soon become the only leather option. With that, we are likely to see the return of the next-gen/2.0 rears. If this is the case, it could be Tesla is projecting to exhaust their supply of 1.5 gen-styled executive seats and may introduce rears seats in the next-gen/2.0 style. Total speculation on my part though.

I've had 3 adults in the back of the Model S too, and they all sat comfortably

They must have been awfully tiny, because that's not my experience at all. To get the three in, the outside passengers had to open their doors and lean outwards to allow the center passenger to buckle up, then the center passenger had to kinda sit sideways a bit to allow the outside passengers enough room to close their doors. It looked really awkward in the rear view mirror. And I'm talking about three "normal sized" adults... two women and one man. Just this past weekend, we had company totaling 5 people, and we had to take two cars on all of our outings.

They must have been awfully tiny, because that's not my experience at all. To get the three in, the outside passengers had to open their doors and lean outwards to allow the center passenger to buckle up, then the center passenger had to kinda sit sideways a bit to allow the outside passengers enough room to close their doors. It looked really awkward in the rear view mirror. And I'm talking about three "normal sized" adults... two women and one man. Just this past weekend, we had company totaling 5 people, and we had to take two cars on all of our outings.

I had 3 normal sized adults sitting in the back. Average weight for all, 2 on the short side, 1 average height. I don't think my passengers buckled up in the rear, so I can't comment on that. And it was probably a 20 minute drive.

I wouldn't trust the other 2 people to tell me it was fine (i.e. they would be more likely to lie and say everything is great), but my wife sat in the middle and she said it was completely fine.

And my kids sat in the jumper seats in the trunk, so we had 7 people :D