Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expanding FSD Beta.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know or heard of FSD Beta testers as having MCU1? Im trying to figure out if someone were to have FSD 3.0 computer, how would full self driving actually work with an MCU 1? It doesn't seem possible with all the visualizations necessary for FSD to allow the capability without MCU 2.

I would hope so, seems like MCU1 can barely keep up with things as they currently are w/o any increased visualizations. It cant even handle traffic cones, how would it even process the amount of items moving around with the examples of videos I have seen with the Beta testers. Seems easier to upgrade the MCU2....especially with how things are now. Im curious to know how that will be handled by the service centers.

Does anyone know or heard of FSD Beta testers as having MCU1? Im trying to figure out if someone were to have FSD 3.0 computer, how would full self driving actually work with an MCU 1? It doesn't seem possible with all the visualizations necessary for FSD to allow the capability without MCU 2.

I haven't even seen any FSD Beta people with S/X. I'm sure… or rather I hope to god… they're out there, but haven't seen anything from them. Admittedly I also haven't gone looking.

You won't find the Grand Canyon in your living room. You have to go look. :eek::D You need to be following this thread.
FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)
I laughed out loud when I read your post. It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite song lyrics from Meat Loaf's 'Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad'.
You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach
You'll never drill for oil on a city street
I know you're looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks
But there ain't no Coup de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box

It's at 2:10 in this video:

There are no visualizations required for FSD. They are currently presented to impress you but are not required. If the car is driving itself you don't need them, and if you are driving you don't need them. A car with MCU1 and a AP3 computer can do FSD.

So, if visualizations arent required for FSD, and an MCU1 car can perform FSD without them, what will be displayed on the IC? My understanding with the recent update....is that the redesign within the IC was purposely changed to accomodate/make room for FSD visualizations....( making fonts smaller for speed limit, drive/park/reverse indicators). Im trying to understand what would be displayed in the IC with MCU1, because it seems rather unlikely there will be any visualizations just based on the processor speeds needed to display all that info.

• Funny
Reactions: MarkoC
So, if visualizations arent required for FSD, and an MCU1 car can perform FSD without them, what will be displayed on the IC?
In the near term while "FSD" is still "Level 2" requiring driver monitoring, providing feedback to the driver is important. Those with MCU1 and upgraded to FSD computer are able to see traffic light and stop sign visualizations but not traffic cones nor trash cans. I don't think anyone in FSD beta currently has MCU1, but it seems likely Tesla will make at least basic/minimal MCU1-specific improvements for a general release.

Reactions: Hobojo153
I certainly hope Tesla has a way to deploy FSD to fleet while not leaving out those of us who have FSD with MCU1. I imagine there are quite a few of us who have MCU1 vehicles who are eager to experience what the beta testers are enjoying......seems like we wont know how things are going to look until after we get the software update...

There are no visualizations required for FSD. They are currently presented to impress you but are not required. If the car is driving itself you don't need them, and if you are driving you don't need them. A car with MCU1 and a AP3 computer can do FSD.
I never said MCU1 would be incapable of doing FSD.
Just that what you see on the IC screen would be simpler, compared to MCU2.

I agree Tesla will most likely give us the minimum required visualization at the least in order to operate FSDbeta (City Streets) safely. I imagine we will get better intersection visualizations, lane turn markings, and projected path... but who knows.

What I am concerned about is how delayed MCU1 updates have been.. Has me concerned that when the FSDbets (City Streets) goes wide release for the US... We'll be delayed weeks or months... I really hope not.....

Another MCU1 Performance concern is around processing the additional map data... lane selection, etc.. Hopefully it can handle it... Handles NoA just as good as anyone else's so I would hope so....

FSDbeta Release Prediction: Early Access Program around 2/1 and Wide Release around 3/1 .... hopefully sooner.. but wouldn't be surprised if it's waaaayyy later...

Reactions: mikes_fsd
FSDbeta Release Prediction: Early Access Program around 2/1 and Wide Release around 3/1 .... hopefully sooner.. but wouldn't be surprised if it's waaaayyy later...
Wow that is some optimism.

I would be less surprised to see my grandparents rise from the grave and start an OnlyFans account together than I would be to see the current features of the FSD beta released by March 1st.

I think this is reasonable. I'd expect all the new FSD features (though with confirmations) by the end of Q2. But if they decide to first release the rewrite without the new FSD features enabled yet, which I think is a possibility, I'd bet they do that before end of Q1

This is by far the longest period of time between releases. December 31st was the last update for fsd beta. When you factor in that the last update didn't even change any FSD code, I hope this means they've been training this next build the whole time and that will be that much better.