Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected rate of charge chart for supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
I don't think I am getting the fastest rate of charge on my MX P100D and wondered if someone has done some extensive documentation of this. See attached. I feel like I could be getting higher kW with almost 100 miles of charging range left to go. I was the only car present so there was no sharing. This was at the FL Turnpike Yeehaw Junction Charger.

I'd like to know what kW I should expect when plugging in at a given amount of range left until back up to 90% before I raise the issue to service to look into.

I tried a search of the forum but I am not seeing what I am looking for. If anyone has a link or something else as reference I'd appreciate it.

Jason

IMG_5357.PNG

Superchargers are often degraded. Did you try another spot? Last time I charged at San Diego the rate was barely hitting 40kW the whole time, even without pairing. Ideally it should be over 100kW like I got at another Supercharger.

Honestly the Supercharging network is overrated. Based on my limited experience (3 times) I would avoid them if I could. Too much time wasted because a 30min wait (as Tesla marketed it) turned out to be over an hour.

I don't think I am getting the fastest rate of charge on my MX P100D and wondered if someone has done some extensive documentation of this. See attached. I feel like I could be getting higher kW with almost 100 miles of charging range left to go. I was the only car present so there was no sharing. This was at the FL Turnpike Yeehaw Junction Charger.

I'd like to know what kW I should expect when plugging in at a given amount of range left until back up to 90% before I raise the issue to service to look into.

I tried a search of the forum but I am not seeing what I am looking for. If anyone has a link or something else as reference I'd appreciate it.

Jason

View attachment 240987
BJorn Nyland has a YouTube video with some graphs.

Superchargers are often degraded. Did you try another spot? Last time I charged at San Diego the rate was barely hitting 40kW the whole time, even without pairing. Ideally it should be over 100kW like I got at another Supercharger.

Honestly the Supercharging network is overrated. Based on my limited experience (3 times) I would avoid them if I could. Too much time wasted because a 30min wait (as Tesla marketed it) turned out to be over an hour.

Yes. I changed from 3B to 1A. I was the only one there.

I have experienced varying rates at SCs in Florida. I finally got smart and decided to move around to different stalls until I found one that was at the high rate that I expected. Like others have said, it's a common occurrence and the only solution I know of is to move to another stall...

Just eyeballing, you should have been getting about 70-80kW at that state of charge.
Possible reasons for slowness include:
- cold battery, just started driving
- cold outside temp
- dodgy supercharger
- enforced slowness for battery health (eg too much DC charging)

The rule of thumb I was taught is that your percentage state of charge (ie 60%) added to the kW you are pulling from the supercharger should add up to approximately 120. So at a 60% state of charge you want to be receiving around 60kW at the supercharger.

Not scientific, but from what I have seen at superchargers it seems to be a good indicator of expected performance.

You should get max charge speed if <50% full (except for right at the bottom).
The taper starts from about 50% to 100% full, and is pretty linear, so at 75% full you should be charging at 50% of max, at 90% full you should be getting 20% of max, and so on. It's not exactly linear, but pretty close.
Your max speed is determined by which battery pack you have. The 75 and 90 packs max at about 98kW, the old 85 pack was about 115kW etc, the new 100 pack is about 117kW I think.
Add to all this that Tesla does its own tinkering, and for example will throttle charge rates if they think your battery has been getting too much DC charging, plus lots of other reasons we don't know about...

• Informative
Reactions: Freedom101
The difference between nearly all the way plugged in and all the way plugged in can matter as well. This is a lot of current being pushed through a relatively small set of contacts. You'll notice this because the plug gets hotter. When I Supercharged on Monday, the plug was still cool to the touch upon removal. I had been getting over 100kW at points during the charge with no early taper, on a 90. This was at an older (boxy) Supercharger, in around 80 degree weather.