Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior color poll - what have you decided?

What color you have got / planning to get

• Ordered - Solid Black

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Ordered - Midnight Silver Metallic

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Ordered - Silver Metallic

• Ordered - Deep Blue Metallic

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Ordered - Pearl White Multi Coat

• Ordered - Red Multi Coat

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Planning - Solid Black

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • Planning - Midnight Silver Metallic

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Planning - Silver Metallic

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Planning - Deep Blue Metallic

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • Planning - Pearl White Multi Coat

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Planning - Red Multi Coat

Votes: 27 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, with people ordering directly what they want from Tesla, would be nice to have a full palette available like in the Home Depot/Lowes, so you just give them number for your color and they mix it up for you...
Might be harder for body shops to match, but if they can derive composition of base colors from your color number, shouldn't be a rocket science.
Color should indeed be customizable in the Tesla sales model.

Yeah, with people ordering directly what they want from Tesla, would be nice to have a full palette available like in the Home Depot/Lowes, so you just give them number for your color and they mix it up for you...
Might be harder for body shops to match, but if they can derive composition of base colors from your color number, shouldn't be a rocket science.

I think if any car manufacturer did this they would sell a ton. Imagine being able to choose your custom color? That would be ground breaking but probably not practical.

It has nothing to do with the sales model, it has to do with the paint shop at the factory. It can only handle so many colors.

I think if any car manufacturer did this they would sell a ton. Imagine being able to choose your custom color? That would be ground breaking but probably not practical.
Quite a few manufacturers do offer custom colors, like Audi and Porsche for example, but it does come at a price probably 3x-4x times usual paint upgrade price.

It has nothing to do with the sales model, it has to do with the paint shop at the factory. It can only handle so many colors.
Sales model does contribute, its easier for regular dealerships to sell basic colors to many people, but if you picked some weird color that nobody else wants, they'd be stuck with it if your transaction fell through. I guess there may be some delay in the paint shop if they had to mix new color for every car and some wasted paint, but don't know how big a problem that is, provided they could charge a bit extra and otherwise could handle the volume of orders timely.

My wife sometimes thinks I have no soul, I definitely have not given up. I have a dark grey car now but my heart often flutters when I see a clean silver car in the right light. I think the 3 will be a classic and to me a classic sporty car looks best in classic silver. Subtle, classy, sexy and a little James Bond. I am happy that apparently I will also have the least common color.