Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door hit parking garage roof - normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened the falcon wing door on our month-old Model X in a parking garage this morning. It swung up and hit a concrete section of the roof above. Fortunately the damage was a single tiny paint chip.

How can I test whether the sensors are working correctly on this door? The same door tried to close when my daughter was still standing under it a couple of days earlier. Are there some tests I can try at home before scheduling service?

For example, I tried holding a broom above both doors. In both cases the doors swung up and hit the broom, so I'm thinking that's not a good test.

If you look at the section between the falcon wing doors you can see the sensors. It is possible for them to miss an obstruction protruding from the ceiling away from the center of the car like a low hanging pipe.

I believe the later cars have additional sensors to prevent closing on objects.

My thinking is: It's just like "Autopilot" that requires humans to monitor the environment and to intervene as needed.

Yup. We never just open the FWD assuming it will stop properly by itself. We always have a finger ready on the screen or the switch just in case. But, it can be frustrating because sometimes the door opens very fast and sometimes very slowly (and then stops too soon), even when parked at home in the exact same spot.

Our MX FWD had whacked my wife's many times when our kid got out fast and pressed to close as my wife was existing the passenger side. I don't think there is any good sensor to prevent whacking. Human just had to learn to stay clear of FWD when it closes.

As for opening the FWD inside garage. I found that the car seems to know you are in a low ceiling garage regardless of the location of the ceiling beams. Anytime I am in one of those garages, the FWDs and Trunk will only open a tiny gap even if there is plenty of space above. We have to override to open it more or just use hand to push them up manually.

I opened the falcon wing door on our month-old Model X in a parking garage this morning. It swung up and hit a concrete section of the roof above. Fortunately the damage was a single tiny paint chip.

How can I test whether the sensors are working correctly on this door? The same door tried to close when my daughter was still standing under it a couple of days earlier. Are there some tests I can try at home before scheduling service?

For example, I tried holding a broom above both doors. In both cases the doors swung up and hit the broom, so I'm thinking that's not a good test.

"Normal". Parking garages are FWDs worst enemy. When in parking garages, you need to get out of the car and watch the doors open. Have the fob in your hand ready to stop them.

I guess these ultra sonic sensors still aren't up to the task.

There is only one topside sensor. Center of the roof between the doors. In a structure with a complicated ceiling, it sometimes misses nearby obstructions.

My garage at home has 14 foot high ceiling (to accommodate an RV). I had a helluva time getting the "Always fully open at this location" to trip. I finally had to partially close the garage door, then position the sensor directly under the partially closed door. Finally got it to ask the fully open question. My point is, that sensor does not always "see" nearby obstructions.

I wish the fwd worked like in the demo when they first announced it. Open up even when there is a car close to you but at a tighter angle. In reality it just stops when it detects anything close lol
Mine works as advertised. If I park next to a vehicle and open the door, it cracks open and raises the door up close my car before extended the door to let a person in.

Reactions: elguapo
When you are inside a parking garage, ALWAYS open the FWD from the outside so you can observe the outside environment and prepare to stop the door with YOUR HAND (the fob is too slow when you react). There are many, many obstacles the sensors won't see, like a beam or pipes that regularly show up in parking garages.

I have also been in a parking garage with smaller spaces with slanted parking spaces and the door would've hit the adjacent car's side mirror if I didn't stop it in time.

Reactions: VikH
Are there going to be any new sensors for the Model X Falcon wing with the refresh model or improvement ?
No one knows, but I would be shocked if they touch the FWD. It took a long time to get them to work the way they do now. They’re “good enough” in Tesla’s book. Honestly, I am surprised they didn’t dump them in the refresh. But I love them, so I am happy!

• Love
Reactions: 127.0.0.0

I believe the technology only works well for continuous objects IE flat ceilings etc not line objects like broom handles. I believe the manual even says that.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I actually think it was this ‘known’ issue:

There was a pillar running across the top of the garage, and it didn’t extend to the middle of the garage.

So the top sensors don’t see it. Anyone else have this issue?

The black glass between front and passenger window just got completely shattered on my model X.
I’ve had the car 5 years and never had an issue. It was the same scenario you just described. Now how do I ever trust these sensors? Safety hazard for people too!