Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are doors hitting something that affects all Model X's or just some of the early VINs? I just placed my order on 7/6 and I was already concerned that the automatic doors might bump a parked car, but now I'm wondering how to communicate to the 3 guys that go to lunch with me that they need to close doors in a specific order.

Are doors hitting something that affects all Model X's or just some of the early VINs? I just placed my order on 7/6 and I was already concerned that the automatic doors might bump a parked car, but now I'm wondering how to communicate to the 3 guys that go to lunch with me that they need to close doors in a specific order.
Tell them to leave the doors open, when you hit the FOB they sort themselves out and all close fine. Takes some time to get used to stepping away from your car with the doors open but it's the easiest way, especially with kids.

This "close the doors in order" thing isn't something I do. There is official word from Tesla that the doors should never intersect, in any circumstance. It was a response to some information flying around with the early deliveries. Since that time, ee have only one report of a Tesla employee saying that they might - and that's @lloyds Service Advisor.

If indeed the doors can intersect, it's a dramatic design flaw, and all of our cars will need a complete retooling. Fortunately, I think that's unlikely to the point of nearly impossible.

This "close the doors in order" thing isn't something I do. There is official word from Tesla that the doors should never intersect, in any circumstance. It was a response to some information flying around with the early deliveries. Since that time, ee have only one report of a Tesla employee saying that they might - and that's @lloyds Service Advisor.

If indeed the doors can intersect, it's a dramatic design flaw, and all of our cars will need a complete retooling. Fortunately, I think that's unlikely to the point of nearly impossible.

My doors did intersect and I was told by my service advisor that they had reproduced it in the factory, it is just very rare.

Falcon Door Collided with Front Door

It was my understanding that the doors were designed to never intersect. However, in the real world, there are some alignment issues that could cause the doors to rub against each other, so the software was changed to prevent that rare occurrence.

Update: X still in service and they are still working on the door. Not sure what the hold up is, but as long as they are working on it then I'm ok. Total time in svc 3 weeks since I took delivery. Hope this is all addressed..fingers crossed.

So they are swapping motors from my right side to left to see if the issues arise. They are saying that they have not been able to replicate the issue thus far. I reiterated to them that I want a deeper look into this as this is my 2nd time on the same door. If it is something mi or I can possibly live with, but I am now hesitant to take the X on road trips being afraid this will happen again. Once this door fails, I am unable to drive it with the door open, which then means the car must be towed. I am hoping they find a solution for this.

Novin4Me - When my fw failed, it not only signaled overheating of the motor, but on the screen it kept detecting object close to the door as well. Will keep everyone updated on this so hopefully there are some clues to those who may end up in similar situation. Goodluck 4 me!

Service advisor just called
After having the motors swapped, the door acted up again. They will now be replacing the motor and awaiting the part from the east coast. Expecting to get the car back next week. I'm very glad I insisted to have them take a closer look at the door. Otherwise, this would have happened again in the near future.

So, just to help clarify, your driver side door was acting up. They swapped the driver side door motor with the passenger side, and then saw the same problem on the passenger side, but not the driver side?

If that's the case, it sounds pretty conclusive that the motor is the problem. Nice to see that they actually narrowed down the problem to a specific part!

So, just to help clarify, your driver side door was acting up. They swapped the driver side door motor with the passenger side, and then saw the same problem on the passenger side, but not the driver side?

If that's the case, it sounds pretty conclusive that the motor is the problem. Nice to see that they actually narrowed down the problem to a specific part!

That's right. Glad I pushed them to take a deeper look. Recallibration only would have added to my irritation, and from the looks if having the motor being defective, I'm almost certain it would happen again.

At my delivery, I specifically asked about the doors and if they could possibly touch/intersect with each other. She mentioned that this was an issue with early builds and was a design flaw, but they have since redesigned so that the issue "cannot" happen anymore. She was very confident that this can't happen since the redesign. I took delivery on July 9. VIN 91XX.

After 3+ weeks, just got car back...fyi for those with similar issues
Screenshot_20160722-163814.png

Well here it goes again. Ive been traveling for 3 weeks, so the car has not been driven much since I received the car back. I started driving it 2 days ago and the same FW door is acting up again. It keeps stopping about 10% on its way down saying obstacle detected. The service manager asked me to take pics of the door and screen and doing so without anything nearby the car, before he woukd schedule my X in....almost as if he doesnt believe what I am saying. So I just made a vid and will upload to youtube to show no obstructions while this is happening. I think at this point, I am certainly entitled to be upset.

20160817_202331.jpg
20160817_202341.jpg