Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings open from key fob signal while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused on this. You have to double click to open the door right? Do these people have the trunks of their cars randomly open while driving too?
There's a slight difference with the falcon wing door buttons on the X fob. The frunk, trunk, and lock/unlock buttons are recessed within the plastic housing (just like the S). The falcon wing doors are slightly raised "buttons" represented by the windows. It's possible this makes it easier for them to inadvertently be pressed, when comparing to the other controls.

I stuffed my fobs into Abstract Ocean fob pockets (Model S ones). They're a tight fit, but it stretches to accommodate them. AO is working on an X implementation. I have a feeling this will make it less likely to inadvertently press these buttons.

Reactions: cclaygo
Well, I finally have my S to myself tomorrow, so I'll do some tests. I'll be surprised if the keyfob buttons work while in drive. I would expect them to be disabled. Can you imagine if they still work and you or one of your passengers accidentally hit the frunk button while cruising down the highway? How about if you have kids in the rear facing seats and the trunk opens while cruising down the highway? Not cool!

I agree, the fob should likely be disabled when in drive, but that wasn't the OP's problem. OP got in car, likely causing the double-click to open the FaWD and then drove ignoring the beep because he thought it was the seatbelt beep.
That is what I was thinking, but it sounds like others might have thought it was while in drive. I just wanted to confirm whether or not any of the buttons work while in drive. As for the seatbelt chimes, I agree with whoever else it was that suggested they use a different sound for that. People love to ignore seatbelt chimes (I've given multiple test rides already to people who have refused to put on their seat belt). Then they would be more likely to stop and take notice of other chimes.

If my car is on, my Acura's keyfob does not function so it is possible to ignore keyfob request while the car is in drive

That is one of the best solutions I've seen so far. Simply ignore the FOB when the vehicle is in motion. You can still operate the doors via the touchscreen or phone app, in case you have a situation where you need/want the doors to open. I love this idea!

Last edited:
Very true. But they don't do it electrically. I would have to manually initiate it. My fob get pinched in my pocket all the time. I get a series of three chimes from the car, letting me know it has happened. But it does not activate anything. It just chimes.

I tested
So this entire recent conversation is about a problem that does not even exist???

More or less yes...I have tried this on mine and cannot get the doors to open when I am in Drive. I also MUST double click to open the door. It will not open with a single click. So I would have to accidentally double click the side of the remote before putting it in drive and then it would open.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and ohmman
I tested

More or less yes...I have tried this on mine and cannot get the doors to open when I am in Drive. I also MUST double click to open the door. It will not open with a single click. So I would have to accidentally double click the side of the remote before putting it in drive and then it would open.
Thank you, cclaygo, for testing! I figured that it was designed that way. As I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't sure if I pulled it into drive before the door was signaled to open, or after. From your post, it would appear that the order of events must have been that the door was signaled to go up before I pulled it into drive. It all happened within a few seconds so the two events were very close. I think Tesla should consider having a lock out for driving forward if the falcon wing door is either open or opening. For normal opening doors or trunks, this solution may be an over reach. But for falcon wing doors that when open almost double the profile of the car in the forward direction, and with the consequence of even a slight, slow speed collision being $10k+ (not to mention potential damage to a person and not just property), and loss of the car for what looks like it will be months, I would lock it out from ever happening. Again, the only other X in the shop in San Diego experienced a very similar scenario as mine within 48 hrs of owning it. Whatever the case is for allowing the car to move while the doors are open or opening, I am convinced its not worth it. At the VERY least, the warning signal should be EXTREMELY urgent and highly differentiated from the other warning signals. Currently its not. Thanks again for your test.

Thank you, cclaygo, for testing! I figured that it was designed that way. As I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't sure if I pulled it into drive before the door was signaled to open, or after. From your post, it would appear that the order of events must have been that the door was signaled to go up before I pulled it into drive. It all happened within a few seconds so the two events were very close. I think Tesla should consider having a lock out for driving forward if the falcon wing door is either open or opening. For normal opening doors or trunks, this solution may be an over reach. But for falcon wing doors that when open almost double the profile of the car in the forward direction, and with the consequence of even a slight, slow speed collision being $10k+ (not to mention potential damage to a person and not just property), and loss of the car for what looks like it will be months, I would lock it out from ever happening. Again, the only other X in the shop in San Diego experienced a very similar scenario as mine within 48 hrs of owning it. Whatever the case is for allowing the car to move while the doors are open or opening, I am convinced its not worth it. At the VERY least, the warning signal should be EXTREMELY urgent and highly differentiated from the other warning signals. Currently its not. Thanks again for your test.

One clarification as I re-read my post...I meant to say while driving. While the car is moving the door will not open no matter what. When the car is simply in Drive but not moving, a double click will open the door but it comes with a loud warning signal and a screen pops up on the display saying I must close the door before moving. It also takes you to the screen that says to close the door and the door is in red.

Reactions: loganintx
Today marks 7 weeks since it was taken to Amato's, the only authorized repair shop in San Diego. I called Amato's and Tesla today and they still haven't gotten delivery dates for some of the parts required to fix the door. No dates, not ETA, nothing. Amato's finally towed my $150k Tesla X away from their shop over to a spare lot down the street and put it under a tarp until they hear something from Tesla. It was taking up too much room at the shop. Depressing. I am told (but can't verify) that a new order on a Tesla X can be delivered in less time. I am a big Tesla fan but this is really frustrating and not what I expected. Tesla hauled it out of my driveway on a truck 7 weeks ago and I still don't even have an estimate of when parts will be scheduled, much less when I will get my car back. If you have an X or are thinking of getting one, don't trust the key fob, and don't damage it or you will likely not have use of the car for months. My guess is that it will be a 4 month time frame before I get mine back. I just made my second lease payment and second insurance payment on my $150k car that I had for less than 24 hrs almost 2 months ago and probably have at least 2 more months to wait. This is not right Tesla.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Eclectic and K-MTG
My Tesla X Falcon Wong Door was destroyed within 24 hrs of owning it (see details below). Today marks 7 weeks since it was taken to Amato's, the only authorized repair shop in San Diego. I called Amato's and Tesla today and they still haven't gotten delivery dates for some of the parts required to fix the door. No dates, not ETA, nothing. Amato's finally towed my $150k Tesla X away from their shop over to a spare lot down the street and put it under a tarp until they hear something from Tesla. It was taking up too much room at the shop. Depressing. I am told (but can't verify) that a new order on a Tesla X can be delivered in less time. I am a big Tesla fan but this is really frustrating and not what I expected. Want to hear the best part? On the second day of owning my Tesla X, I was attempting to pull it out of my garage for the first time ever. I entered my Tesla X through the driver's door, sat down and closed the door, pulled the car into drive and began to roll forward. As I moved forward about 3-5 feet on to the driveway I heard a crunching of glass. I stopped and backed up a few few feet, got out and saw that the driver's side falcon wing door had attempted to open just as I had tried to roll through the narrow garage door opening. The door had caught the garage door frame and it was broken and bent. Tesla confirmed that the signal that instructed that door to open at the moment came from the key fob. That key fob was in my front left pocket and can only have been activated inadvertently by somehow being pinched in my pocket as I bent to sit in the driver's seat. The whole incident from beginning to end was just several seconds. (I posted a longer version of this accident story in the forum under "errant key fob signal destroys falcon wing door". Tesla hauled it out of my driveway on a truck 7 weeks ago and I still don't even have an estimate of when parts will be scheduled, much less when I will get my car back. If you have an X or are thinking of getting one, don't trust the key fob, and don't damage it or you will likely not have use of the car for months. My guess is that it will be a 4 month time frame before I get mine back. I just made my second lease payment and second insurance payment on my $150k car that I had for less than 24 hrs almost 2 months ago and probably have at least 2 more months to wait. This is not right Tesla.

That is an awful story. They should not release a car if they are unable to repair it in a timely fashion.
A couple of questions:
1) Is TM assuming responsibility for the damage?
2) Are they providing you with a loaner vehicle?