Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family wants to delay model Y for Giga Texas but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family wants to delay the Y until Giga Texas is up because they are allegedly going to build them with double pane rear and the 2 piece chassis there. However, I highly doubt this would be something you can select. How could you choose to get your car only if it's made in Texas? Probably not by any sensible means. I feel like it's going to be a get what you get situation but I don't really know. I assume it will be more so the case that the places closer to Texas will get it made from there and closer to Cali will come from Cali.

Any thoughts or theories? I also imgine freemont will catch up soon enough but what do you guys know or think ?

You’re in CA. You would get a Fremont Y. Texas is meant for mid-west/east coast production For the Y.

You‘ll be delaying the car forever. Every quarter has seen Tesla do something to update the vehicle. Whether it was new headlights( still hasn’t happened for the LR), new center console, new battery(LR), biodefense mode, etc. Got to treat the car like a computer/phone when it comes to Tesla. There will always be updates down the road. Get the car now. The whole single cast front will not be something you the user will appreciate when driving and using the car.

The VIN may be different for different manufacturing locations. Once that's known, you could try to get an inventory with the right VIN.

The good news is that not buying new cars saves money so waiting is also a win. Particularly because with the tax credit modifications dead and supply issues likely to ease this year, price sanity may be restored.

You’re in CA. You would get a Fremont Y. Texas is meant for mid-west/east coast production For the Y.

You‘ll be delaying the car forever. Every quarter has seen Tesla do something to update the vehicle. Whether it was new headlights( still hasn’t happened for the LR), new center console, new battery(LR), biodefense mode, etc. Got to treat the car like a computer/phone when it comes to Tesla. There will always be updates down the road. Get the car now. The whole single cast front will not be something you the user will appreciate when driving and using the car.
This is not necessarily true.

As pointed out above with regards to paint. There are options and features which may be available in Texas which are not possible in Fremont. Paint color being one. It is also entirely possible they will move all Model Y production to Texas and all Model 3 production to Fremont. Or all Model Y Performance might move to Texas. The cost of shipping delta between shipping 1500 and 500 miles is not very big relative to the cost of the vehicle and other factors could swallow that difference.

We just don’t know right now how they are going to decide. Regional might be a big part, but that’s not 100%.

But delaying alone is no guarantee.

If I am wrong, then please explain it vs just stating wrong.

I am more than open to be wrong. But if you're going to say it, then explain/prove it. I know Elon stated that single cast front will improve quality, so if that claim is true I guess there is a higher chance that the Y would have less build defects( ie panel gaps). But if you receive a Fremont Y that has no build quality flaws, then what else does single cast front provide that the end user will notice in day to day operation?

This is not necessarily true.

As pointed out above with regards to paint. There are options and features which may be available in Texas which are not possible in Fremont. Paint color being one. It is also entirely possible they will move all Model Y production to Texas and all Model 3 production to Fremont. Or all Model Y Performance might move to Texas. The cost of shipping delta between shipping 1500 and 500 miles is not very big relative to the cost of the vehicle and other factors could swallow that difference.

We just don’t know right now how they are going to decide. Regional might be a big part, but that’s not 100%.

But delaying alone is no guarantee.

Do plans change? Sure, but as of now from last statement, Austin will be for Y's destined for the east. Maybe a question to ask Elon at the Grand Opening event when it occurs to see if that is the plan still and what about retooling Fremont. But right now I would bet with the info we do have that a CA delivery will come from Fremont. Now if they do retool Fremont for the changes the Austin Y will see, then there would be a period the west coast will see Austin Y's while the Fremont line is down.

Delaying on a what if is silly. But I will make a distinction. If the OP's family is delaying ordering is one thing. If they don't NEED the Y now, then sure don't order it yet. But if they already placed an order, putting it on hold for a what if is silly. Take delivery.....

Last edited:
Reactions: play150
Do plans change? Sure, but as of now from last statement, Austin will be for Y's destined for the east. Maybe a question to ask Elon at the Grand Opening event when it occurs to see if that is the plan still and what about retooling Fremont. But right now I would bet with the info we do have that a CA delivery will come from Fremont. Now if they do retool Fremont for the changes the Austin Y will see, then there would be a period the west coast will see Austin Y's while the Fremont line is down.

Delaying on a what if is silly. But I will make a distinction. If the OP's family is delaying ordering is one thing. If they don't NEED the Y now, then sure don't order it yet. But if they already placed an order, putting it on hold for a what if is silly. Take delivery.....

When did Tesla say all west coast production was going to the west coast and all Texas production to the east?

This is certainly not something I’ve heard.

Are they replacing the Fremont paint shop then? Shipping some models with one config and some another?

The wait is already 9-10 months. There is no guarantee you will get a Y from Texas. I also read somewhere the cars coming out of Texas were for the east cost because delivery was so slow on this side. Why wait and take the risk? You may be waiting for 1-2 years.

When did Tesla say all west coast production was going to the west coast and all Texas production to the east?

This is certainly not something I’ve heard.

Are they replacing the Fremont paint shop then? Shipping some models with one config and some another?
It probably stemmed from a podcast in 2020 Elon specifically talked about logistics and environmental impact of transporting vehicles, such that they would not be transporting vehicles from Fremont to the East Coast for vehicles that would be made in Texas.

It probably stemmed from a podcast in 2020 Elon specifically talked about logistics and environmental impact of transporting vehicles, such that they would not be transporting vehicles from Fremont to the East Coast for vehicles that would be made in Texas.
This makes sense long term when the production lines are Identical. Does not make sense short term when there are significant differences in the production lines.

For example: Long term Tesla built a factory in Berlin to service European deliveries. Short term they are shipping from China.

This makes sense long term when the production lines are Identical. Does not make sense short term when there are significant differences in the production lines.

For example: Long term Tesla built a factory in Berlin to service European deliveries. Short term they are shipping from China.
That's why I think short term, only certain SKU's will come out of Austin, and/or the Y will not contain all the goodies/benefits that some people think... Like for example, if the Austin Y comes with 4680s, unless only the performance or maybe a LR+ SKU comes out of Austin, I doubt they will make the Austin Y have better range than a Fremont Y, and they will simply make the Austin Y's have less cells, software lock it, etc, to match performance with the Fremont Ys, etc.

Reactions: advocate8 and Ogre
There will always be something else to wait for.

The wording of the HOLD policy has and will change, pricing will change (only two ways it can go).

I'm of the theory that any battery change will be factory gimped and/or limited in features to keep the old cars value high. Else the second hand market will suffer and buyers will be less inclined to pay a premium, meanwhile reduced build cost is pure profit (holding my stock).

I would think the CT and Semi will be getting the lions share of the new cells anyway....

Reactions: advocate8