Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster way to turn FSD beta on/off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In town, so far, FSD beta has made enough mistakes that it's a bit stressful to use it. I'd rather use plain old autopilot, and make the turns myself.
Do you mean you use Autosteer in town and disengage it every time you need to turn?

The single-stack solution mentioned in other responses isn’t going to help your use case if FSD Beta hasn’t improved; you’re still not going to want to use it in town. I use it on city streets to help the testing effort, not because it’s useful; I have to intervene (not necessarily by disengaging) on pretty much every drive.

Do you mean you use Autosteer in town and disengage it every time you need to turn?
Yes. It's still worthwhile, and I've been doing that for two years.
you’re still not going to want to use it in town. I use it on city streets to help the testing effort, not because it’s useful
Exactly. I'm not willing to risk the car to help with the testing effort, but with that speed limit issue, the benefit is worth the risk.

Big thanks to all the beta testers!

My concern here is you are switching from "safe but anxious" (FSDb) to "unsafe but relaxing" (AP), since AP in a busy city is definitely NOT recommended. Sure, AP wont cause anxiety, simply because it's too dumb to respond to all the complexities of city driving. But isnt that just creating a false sense of security for you?
Excellent point. Perhaps it works for me because there are no busy cities where I drive (far Northern California). The roads and intersections are much simpler here and there isn't much traffic.

I almost always have AP on, and I can't recall a single Whoa! or OMG! moment. Trying out FSDb in Crescent City, I had about five of these. Wrong lane, missed turn (2), turned the wrong way, headed for a parked car. For the last, the car probably would have recovered, but it was pretty wild. Wife didn't actually scream, but close.

Also, AP isn't making unprotected turns. It's just staying in the lane or changing lanes when requested. I'm confident I'm safer with AP on than driving manually.

Reactions: drtimhill
I have a tangentially-related question. Yesterday I requested and was granted access to FSD beta and have used it 5 times now for short surface-street drives. However, I have to put the car in park, go to Autopilot settings, toggle on FSD Beta, and agree to the popup dialog every time I want to use FSD beta. Any time I get in the car to drive, the FSD beta visualizations are gone before I turn the beta back on. I'm the only driver, using a single profile.

Is this expected behavior?

I have a tangentially-related question. Yesterday I requested and was granted access to FSD beta and have used it 5 times now for short surface-street drives. However, I have to put the car in park, go to Autopilot settings, toggle on FSD Beta, and agree to the popup dialog every time I want to use FSD beta. Any time I get in the car to drive, the FSD beta visualizations are gone before I turn the beta back on. I'm the only driver, using a single profile.

Is this expected behavior?
No, not expected. We have FSD Beta in our Model S and Model 3 and it has remained enabled ever since I first turned it on. I do recall another post reporting the same issue, don’t recall the resolution.

While I get your use case (thanks for the explanation), I'm surprised that you find AP ok to use in a town where FSD causes issues. Agreed that FSD is still evolving, but I'm trying to imagine a case where AP is safer and/or better than FSD in a town.
My use case for where I want just "regular AP" is divided, but not limited access, highways. We have plenty of divided highways where I want to control lane changes manually, but I still want autosteer/TACC active. On these roads, when I engage autosteer, FSDb kicks in and it takes over lane change decisions. I'd probably be okay with that except it keeps insisting on changing to the left lane (and then staying there) each time it approaches a crossroads. Unfortunately it always seems to do this just as some guy doing 30 over comes racing up in the left lane just as my car decides it wants to get out of the right lane. So yes, it is dangerous.

I get why it thinks it wants to to this: because on these roads you have cars that are either entering or exiting the highway at these crossroads at very slow speeds, and Tesla just decided that it would avoid having to deal with it by simply avoiding the right lane. Because of the limited distance that FSD is looking ahead and the relative slowness in auto-changing lanes (it first has to warn you it's going to change lanes and wait for you to cancel if you want, before it actually changes lanes), if it did stay in the right lane, it could subject the passengers to a lot of harsh braking maneuvers and possibly getting into the left lane at a very slow speed. So yes, it is relatively dangerous behavior. The thing is, most of the time there actually is no cars entering/exiting, so it is usually unnecessary.

I can see another possible reason for being able to turn FSD off without going into the menus. Currently, if FSD is enabled, park assist doesnt work. If you go into the menu and turn it off, it does work. If having a different profile withiut FSD would more easuly disable FSD and enable park assist, that would be very useful. Perhaps, I should try this and report back here if this worjs. (Of course, even more useful would be the software team fixing this regression that showed up with a FSD "update" a few versions back.)

I can see another possible reason for being able to turn FSD off without going into the menus. Currently, if FSD is enabled, park assist doesnt work. If you go into the menu and turn it off, it does work. If having a different profile withiut FSD would more easuly disable FSD and enable park assist, that would be very useful. Perhaps, I should try this and report back here if this worjs. (Of course, even more useful would be the software team fixing this regression that showed up with a FSD "update" a few versions back.)
Really? Are you saying that Park Assist does not work even if FSDd is not engaged (but is enabled on the AP screen)?

FSD Beta if enabled on the menu will not allow Park Assist to work. You will not see the P on the screen unless you turn off FSD in the menu. That's not very practical. There are threads on this topic if you do a search.

Just checked and worked for me (though it's always been hit and miss if the "P" appears in general).

Agreed. Not sure what is going on in the other threads, but other than when I specifically engage my "road trip" profile with FSDb disabled, FSDb is always on in my car and I definitely get offered auto-park. As @drtimhill says, it's hit or miss, but lately it's been more "hit". Not that I use it all that often--it's usually pretty slow.

FSD Beta if enabled on the menu will not allow Park Assist to work. You will not see the P on the screen unless you turn off FSD in the menu. That's not very practical. There are threads on this topic if you do a search.
I just created a new profile that I named "PARK ASSIST" in which FSDB is not enabled. When I need to park, I switch to that profile from my personal profile that has FSD enabled. After parking, I can more easily switch back to my regular profile with FSD, rather than going into the menu and doing that.

I want to use navigation but not have FSD keep switching lanes for no reason on a straight road. I would like to use Autopilot for these roads. The workaround is to end the trip on navigation so FSD drives straight without switching lanes.