Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that both parties would have some sort of fault in this situation.
I spend an enormous amount of time in the Vehicle and the Autopilot is activated around 90% of the time. I'm very familiar with what triggers it's braking-
I'm wondering if there were other vehicles in the left lanes as the car approached the intersection, possibly limiting the view of opposing traffic in the turning lane about to come into view while also masking the approach of the Tesla in the right lane.

Not seeing the trailer becaue it was too high I can understand and have experienced- but how did it miss the Tractor pulling in front first? That type of situation slows my car everytime- Very curious.....
NEED MORE INFORMATION--- speeds- surrounding traffic- The sun's affect on view

He has proven to have a dash cam in the past- i wonder if that will help shed some lighton the circumstances leading up to it.
I drive over 1,000 miles a week -mostly autopilot- and i know you need to pay attention and help "train" the autopilot system. Comes with the territory of Beta Testing which form his obituatuary- shows that he was savvy with R&D.

View attachment 183598 View attachment 183599
The intersection in question:
Google Maps

Excerpt from the Police report below-

In a separate crash on May 7 at 3:40 p.m. on U.S. 27 near the BP Station west of Williston, a 45-year-old Ohio man was killed when he drove under the trailer of an 18-wheel semi. The top of Joshua Brown’s 2015 Tesla Model S vehicle was torn off by the force of the collision. The truck driver, Frank Baressi, 62, Tampa was not injured in the crash.

The FHP said the tractor-trailer was traveling west on US 27A in the left turn lane toward 140th Court. Brown’s car was headed east in the outside lane of U.S. 27A.

When the truck made a left turn onto NE 140th Court in front of the car, the car’s roof struck the underside of the trailer as it passed under the trailer. The car continued to travel east on U.S. 27A until it left the roadway on the south shoulder and struck a fence. The car smashed through two fences and struck a power pole. The car rotated counter-clockwise while sliding to its final resting place about 100 feet south of the highway. Brown died at the scene.Charges are pending.”

View attachment 183598 View attachment 183599

First, I feel very sorry for the man who died and for his family.

Looking at the street view pictures I think it is very unlikely that any driver who is on this road and who is focused on driving would not see a large white semi turning in front of them from a very long distance away. Particularly if the sun was not low in the sky near sunset. I think the truck driver probably assumed that a car in the far distance going, say, 60 would see his truck and slow down to, say, 30, which if done at the point where an attentive driver would normally see the truck would send the car safely behind the truck. I imagine the truck driver had been waiting for a break in the traffic, and when he saw one where cars in the distance would be safe if they slowed down, he crossed the road. His action would be technically illegal but normal in the real world, kind of like any of us coming to a ‘rolling stop’ instead of a complete stop at a stop sign.

TACC is simply not designed to react to radar echoes from stationary objects, and likewise with the Mercedes system. The fact that the truck was moving laterally would not register on any Doppler radar. Because radar in our cars would receive an almost constant stream of stationary echoes as we drive along, and because 99.9999…% of them aren’t a truck crossing the road, TACC’s slamming on the brakes for any of them will almost surely be a false positive, which would be dangerous and upsetting. As a result, Tesla’s TACC won’t brake until the echo is so strong and so near that a collision is unavoidable, at which point all the emergency braking system can do is slow the car before impact.

Think about it: I’m sure Tesla would like to provide emergency braking that would avoid a collision, but they don’t. Why don’t they? Because that would trigger many dangerous false positives where the car hits the brakes when it shouldn’t. If that happened more than once in my MS, I would be so upset that I would block or disconnect the radar for safety reasons.

So the problem is literally a TACC shortcoming, but in reality it’s just as much AP because it’s AP that gives drivers the confidence to take their eyes off the road. Had the driver in this case just been using TACC and not AP, he would have to have been looking at the road for lane keeping and thus he would have seen the truck a long way off.

I think the combination of TACC and AP will not be able to handle this ‘corner case’ of a truck and an inattentive AP-using driver until visual scene analysis improves enough to detect the hazard without producing false positives for braking and swerving. This is way harder than lane keeping, and I expect is years, not months away.

As a result, I feel strongly that Tesla’s only option – and I predict this will be the outcome – is to geofence the use of AP such that it can only be activated on highways that are whitelisted to be limited access, not just divided. This is unfortunate, but I fear it is inevitable.

Reactions: Matias and Gilzo
Based on that posted preliminary police report, it sounds like the truck driver pulled right out in front of Joshua's car. Given the Tesla was probably going at least 60 mph, there was probably no way to avoid this accident, even if the car had begun braking once the truck pulled out in front.
A commercial truck is a large, slow-moving target, that does not "dart out" in front of you... i.e., you can see a tractor-trailer from a half mile away. My guess is that the Tesla driver was going very fast and paying no attention (maybe distracted). Still, this crash will probably be considered the truck driver's fault, because the vehicle on the divided highway would have had the right of way. Report from FMCSA will follow.

Reactions: Blastphemy
As a result, I feel strongly that Tesla’s only option – and I predict this will be the outcome – is to geofence the use of AP such that it can only be activated on highways that are whitelisted to be limited access, not just divided. This is unfortunate, but I fear it is inevitable.

I'm surprised it didn't start that way. "Autopilot available" notification when you enter a qualifying roadway (in qualifying weather conditions) seems like a sensible option to "save people from themselves" if you will. I know that would upset some people who use it properly in many different scenarios, but these types of incidents can have far broader ramifications than just one unfortunate person's life.

This is not unreasonable in my opinion. Make TACC available anywhere, but restrict AP to divided freeways (the ones that have no side traffic).

As a very avid user and an AP fan, I would take that as a reasonable compromise

Reactions: liuping
This is not unreasonable in my opinion. Make TACC available anywhere, but restrict AP to divided freeways (the ones that have no side traffic).

As a very avid user and an AP fan, I would take that as a reasonable compromise
Or release a smarter, better, autopilot 2.0 with new sensors and the new Mobileye tech and trust that current Model S owners with current tech are responsible adults.

Coming later this year...

Reactions: Pdub2015
Sigh... do you know the reason why? Do you know the severity of her burns? Do you know that McDonalds was asked several times before that to reduce their coffee temperature? Do you know that she needed to get her skin grafted?

Do you know anything about the case, or are you just assuming that someone was litigious and won millions of dollars (also not true) because she got a slight burn?

Hm...nope. But what I do know is that I have better things to do with my time than start an argument on a forum.

Have a lovey day, and I hope your *sighs* go away. Waste of a good breath if you ask me...

Based on that posted preliminary police report, it sounds like the truck driver pulled right out in front of Joshua's car. Given the Tesla was probably going at least 60 mph, there was probably no way to avoid this accident, even if the car had begun braking once the truck pulled out in front.

I don't know all the facts, but I do know that tractor trailers turn slow as molasses AND it's easy to misjudge speed at these intersections. It seems entirely possible
Or release a smarter, better, autopilot 2.0 with new sensors and the new Mobileye tech and trust that current Model S owners with current tech are responsible adults.

Coming later this year...

The burden of proof will be on Tesla and I can see regulators taking a very cautious and conservative stance on this. I would also be in favor of a geofenced AP even though that would reduce the convenience of the feature.

Has anyone seen any mention of an autopsy? I haven't seen anything that confirms the driver was conscious at the time of the collision to rule out a medical issue and a car flying along on autopilot.

1999 South Dakota Learjet crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You see a car so you don't think about it like you would a plane crash but the diagnostics should be similar. The vehicle can maintain a course after a driver dies or is otherwise incapacitated. You can't assume with any certainty that the driver even had the option to "pay attention".

Last edited:
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
According to a report today on NPR's Morning Edition, "there are preliminary reports that say the driver may have been watching a movie in the center console when this was happening." No idea if this is actually is the case, has anyone else heard a report from another source?

You can't watch a movie on the center console. That having been said, this was just released by Reuters:

DVD player found in Tesla Model S in May 7 crash -Fla officials

DETROIT, July 1 (Reuters) - The Florida Highway Patrol said on Friday that it found an aftermarket digital video disc (DVD) player in the wreckage of a Tesla Motors Inc Model S involved in a fatal May 7 crash.

"There was a portable DVD player in the vehicle," said Sergeant Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol in a telephone interview.

She said there was no camera found, mounted on the dash or of any kind, in the wreckage.

(Reporting by Bernie Woodall; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Now if they also find a Harry Potter DVD in the player, then the truck driver's story may have some credibility, at which point I shall dine on crow.

The law doesn't care who has more experience, when crossing oncoming traffic you must yield!
The law is one thing but people saying that they naturally trust a navy seal more than a truck driver in this situation is another matter.

From a legal perspective I am not sure it's going to be as simple as you think to put it all on the truck driver considering the driver did not even apply the brakes at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
When the car sensors are combined with Automatic dependent surveillance – broadcast (ADSB) transponders which are going to be required on all aircraft (and airport ground vehicles) by 2020, the car will have much better situational awareness. The economies of scale should make the price of these technologies come down exponentially like they did for EZPASS type transponders. This ADSB (out) installed on vehicles will be required for the mix of older and newer semi-autonomous vehicles. The good news is the standards and technology have been refined in the aerospace realm and could be spun off to vehicles with minimal R&D costs.