Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FD Beta : TomTom Map, Roundabouts and the Speedlimit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can verify yourself that Tesla navigation still is using this clearly wrong map data by navigating to Gaffney Street in Saluda, NC:
View attachment 729339
I just received NA-2021.44-13555 and this navigation is much improved! No more strange lines here for this destination!

saluda updated.jpg

Is this something you got corrected in Tom Tom ?
I have not submitted any edits to TomTom. The 2 previous examples of NA-2021.44-13555 fixing navigation (and FSD Beta behavior) already were correct in TomTom (and Google Maps and OSM) probably even before November. The incorrect roads matched up with "Bing Map" from BBBike Map Compare tool, which doesn't actually reflect what Bing Maps shows on the live website.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I have not submitted any edits to TomTom. The 2 previous examples of NA-2021.44-13555 fixing navigation (and FSD Beta behavior) already were correct in TomTom (and Google Maps and OSM) probably even before November. The incorrect roads matched up with "Bing Map" from BBBike Map Compare tool, which doesn't actually reflect what Bing Maps shows on the live website.
I guess when I get the updated map we'll see if any of my updates made it to the map.

Reactions: Dutchy Ron
I guess when I get the updated map we'll see if any of my updates made it to the map.
I made changes to several speed limits on Tom Tom but I submitted the changes in week 44 and it took them several weeks to make the changes so I am going to assume they wouldn't take effect in this update anyway. I really wish there was a better way to do this. I am trying to test the Tom Tom theory but I guess it will still be up to you when you get the map update lol

Elon should clarify who is providing mapdata and speed limits. I assume TomTom only provide the speedlimits, Ihope OTA near real time but I’m not sure. They do for all new Lexus NX and Toyota EV’s, also for the KIA EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq soon.
I wonder if the reason they don't want to make this public information is so many people out there that *edit: hates* Tesla for whatever different reasons people might go on there and mess with data to try to cause issues? Letting the public be able to report and fix issues works very well to get things updated, I was an area manager on waze for a few years in the start and it was great. People could report an issue, we could fix it in a day or two and the map would update. I think a good amount of people who hate tech probably wouldn't have the first clue how to edit the map data anyway. But the data being messed with as well as Elon seems to like to lead people to think the cars use map data much less than they actually do.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I wonder if the reason they don't want to make this public information is so many people out there that has Tesla for whatever different reasons people might go on there and mess with data to try to cause issues? Letting the public be able to report and fix issues works very well to get things updated, I was an area manager on waze for a few years in the start and it was great. People could report an issue, we could fix it in a day or two and the map would update. I think a good amount of people who hate tech probably wouldn't have the first clue how to edit the map data anyway. But the data being messed with as well as Elon seems to like to lead people to think the cars use map data much less than they actually do.
One can do an edit in OSM that's wrong and usually no one will notice it unless it's a major change. But all tea leaves point to Tesla using TomTom as its map database. It is possible to suggest updates to TomTom's online database, but these suggestions seem to be carefully curated. I once suggested a speed limit tag that accidentally had a typo and it was rejected, so somebody at TomTom must be looking at incorrect user suggestions. Besides, Tesla doesn't seem to update its map database very frequently. The version numbers change about once a year, but that may not capture smaller map data updates pushed to the fleet.

One can do an edit in OSM that's wrong and usually no one will notice it unless it's a major change. But all tea leaves point to Tesla using TomTom as its map database. It is possible to suggest updates to TomTom's online database, but these suggestions seem to be carefully curated. I once suggested a speed limit tag that accidentally had a typo and it was rejected, so somebody at TomTom must be looking at incorrect user suggestions. Besides, Tesla doesn't seem to update its map database very frequently. The version numbers change about once a year, but that may not capture smaller map data updates pushed to the fleet.
True, when I did some speed limit updates it took several weeks for them to be changed on the maps in Tom Toms system (sadly as I stated above I don't think those changes made it in time for the nav update if they would require a nav update and if Tom Tom is what they are using for that). When I did updates to a parking lot in OSM the changes happened without a map update from Tesla, if I remember right I think it took less than a week to notice the change in my car for the parking lot.

Edit: That should of read people out there that HATES Tesla for whatever reason. My point was people could try to mess with the data intentionally to cause issues. Not so much speed limits but stop sign placement and so on

When I did updates to a parking lot in OSM the changes happened without a map update from Tesla, if I remember right I think it took less than a week to notice the change in my car for the parking lot.

Edit: That should of read people out there that HATES Tesla for whatever reason. My point was people could try to mess with the data intentionally to cause issues. Not so much speed limits but stop sign placement and so on
Parking lot summon works differently. The nav is done in the cloud, instead of the car.

Tesla Is Crazy To Not Make Full Use Of Maps To Improve ‘F’ Self-Driving​

Don't keep posting this in every thread ! There is a separate thread on this in which Brad is posting as well.

BTW, one of the main assumptions he makes is "Out of date maps are rare" !!!! Thats the kind of idiotic assumption you have to make to think HD maps are needed / scalable.

1644861826885.png

ps : I went on a new (to me) road yesterday and found 4 roundabouts that are not mapped ;)

"Rare", indeed !!!

I feel like the exact opposite is true, I think Tesla uses map data too much as it is. The majority of roads around me have incorrect speed data, there are many stop signs that aren't mapped, the routing data sucks (not sure if that's fully on the maps or not but seems to be a map issue, things like switching lanes to follow route then switching back and so on). I think one of the problems is that the cameras simply are not good enough, as I have said in other threads the car can't see and react to unmapped stop signs in time on roads that you are travelling 55-60mph. These aren't roads that were built or had speed changes in many years so the map data is at least 20-25 years out of date lol.