Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fed up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, now we have CNN joining the accusers, talking about the frustrated FSD awaiters, but also throwing in all manner of naysaying. Like how a current NOA/EAP-equipped car slows down at stoplights and "can't tell if it's red or green". Doh, that's by design at this stage. The driver is supposed to authorize going through, using the accelerator or the stalk, unless we're following another car.

But with all the "investigations" this is getting bad. Sandy Munro is right, this is inflicting unwarranted damage on the only innovative American car company, and it only benefits the Chinese, who will soon be flooding the world with Tesla knock-offs.

Of course WE are getting very impatient with having paid for a higher level of automation years ago and not even having access to the Beta. And some people are unrealistically expecting 100% perfect behavior. They won't ever be happy, because IMHO it won't ever be perfect. Not with humans in the loop.

I use NOA all the time and consider it very helpful and great value. I don't mind overriding it on occasion, because it makes 99% of my freeway driving less tiring.

But CNN hit it on the head with the most unacceptable part of the whole FSD story. And it's Elon's fault. He could fix it in a moment. The nail in the coffin is the capricious non-transferability of the FSD option. So it's late, ephemeral, AND intangible?

It's very simple. The owner, who has spent real money on more automation, must have the choice of either 1) leaving it with the car for the next owner if he sells it, or 2) transferring it to the next Tesla he buys. There is NO acceptable third option where Tesla just vaporizes $10,000 with a click of the mouse. Hey, Elon, come ON !

Transferability would clarify and vastly improve the situation. It HAS to be this way. FSD would then have real and long term value. E.g. at trade-in. Tesla shoppers would be more willing to buy the FSD option, for the long haul. And existing FSD owners would be more likely to get a new Tesla. All around beneficial. And we need some good news.

Lifetime transferability of software value is plain bad business and is not common as it doesn’t provide long term revenue for continued innovation and is not sustainable. Don’t expect that. Every software vendor is moving away from one time software purchase for exactly this reason. I actually see Tesla moving towards subscription only and killing the outright purchase option.
My opinion? The right thing to do would be to convert all one time FSD owners to either a one time transfer or time-limited transferability period. It wouldn’t satisfy everyone, but seems like a good compromise considering the state of delivered value.

But CNN hit it on the head with the most unacceptable part of the whole FSD story. And it's Elon's fault. He could fix it in a moment. The nail in the coffin is the capricious non-transferability of the FSD option. So it's late, ephemeral, AND intangible?
it really is a shame that greed is what dominates the thinkiing at tesla.

there is NO reason they can't allow people to own the license for as many cars as they want to transfer it to.

so tesla loses a LITTLE money on the multi-buy concept. is it worth doing this to customers (what they have been for years) in the name of a LITTLE profit? and I do mean little. its not that the take-up of fsd was that great and its not a lot of corporate money in the big picture of things.

elon runs his company in a way that isn't optimal for US, the customers. it once was, I'm told (long before I bought into the brand) but now, its becoming a textbook example of how NOT to grow and expand, over time. they lost their 'caring' and that will be the nail for them.

Lifetime transferability of software value is plain bad business and is not common as it doesn’t provide long term revenue for continued innovation and is not sustainable.
[citation needed]

I just dont believe this. its ONE business model but certainly not the only and definitely not the best.

you can do both. this isn't an either/or. you can let people buy a license and let it transfer (there IS a concept of that in the industry) or you can discount it and maybe make it bound to some item instead of being bound to you, the owner.

its just numbers and any real business guy with an mba (lol) could come up with a viable plan for A and B types.

they just DONT WANT TO.

but please dont make excuses for them.

There is NO acceptable third option where Tesla just vaporizes $10,000 with a click of the mouse.

I believe the only time FSD disappears (vaporizes) from the vehicle is when it is traded in and becomes the property of Tesla. If someone sells their car to a private party, or trades it in to a non-Tesla dealer, FSD remains.

The promise is no humans in the loop. Full Self Driving.

No humans in the loop? How? What I'm talking about is all the uncontrollable events in the environment due to human stupidity and unpredictability. That includes all their illegal turns, crazy driving, and of course the "spontaneous" cyclists and pedestrians. If it didn't have to handle those factors, FSD would have been out and working fine long ago. In the future, when all cars are automated, it will be much easier. Most people, including Elon Musk, underestimate the difficulty of the task.

I just had a close call on the freeway in NOA. A speeding loon decided to leapfrog into my target lane as my car was changing lanes. Before I even realized what was happening Nicki The Tesla veered out of the way and found a safe spot in an adjacent lane. Amazing performance. All the naysayers can go take a hike. This system ROCKS!

As the CNN article points out, the uncertainty of FSD transfer has made the dealers devalue it to zero. $10,000 gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Microterf
The argument that it should not be transferrable is the same as arguing that you should not be able to play video games you purchased on your console, when you go to your friends houses, on their consoles. Or listen to music you digitally purchased on other devices. Even worse when you bought FSD, had the car for 2-3 years, never got to use it, then upgraded to a newer model of the car and have to pay 10k AGAIN for something you might not get to use for the life span of that vehicle before you upgrade to a newer model again.

Lifetime transferability of software value is plain bad business and is not common as it doesn’t provide long term revenue for continued innovation and is not sustainable. Don’t expect that. Every software vendor is moving away from one time software purchase for exactly this reason. I actually see Tesla moving towards subscription only and killing the outright purchase option.
My opinion? The right thing to do would be to convert all one time FSD owners to either a one time transfer or time-limited transferability period. It wouldn’t satisfy everyone, but seems like a good compromise considering the state of delivered value.

Really? Pretty much every app I buy on my phone has a perpetual license, and I can transfer it to another phone without paying again.

Besides, this isn't a game or a shopping list app. This is an expensive accessory. But one that's all software and can be wiped or loaded into any Tesla. So it's a little different from say a rear-view camera. There is no relevant precedent. The dealers give no value to it because Tesla has been unpredictable. If nobody doubted that it would stay with the car, when I sell my car I would reliably recover most of what I spent on it. No need to transfer it -- buy a new Tesla and you have the money to buy FSD again. Everybody's happy.

But under the circumstances, where Tesla has been arbitrarily wiping the feature on traded-in cars (why?), and buyers and dealers have no way to be sure it won't vanish when title changes, it's an abnormal situation that Tesla created. For that, transferability must be an option until Tesla's policies are fair and crystal clear, so dealers are confident.

When I checked, my FSD-equipped Model 3 got the same price from Carvana as one without it. That locks me into my car, so I sure won't be eager to buy a new one. And it discourages new buyers from getting the ephemeral FSD accessory on their new car. Both are bad for Tesla and for us. Tesla created the problem, and Tesla should use their big brains to fix it.

Besides, this isn't a game or a shopping list app. This is an expensive accessory. But one that's all software and can be wiped or loaded into any Tesla. So it's a little different from say a rear-view camera. There is no relevant precedent. The dealers give no value to it because Tesla has been unpredictable. If nobody doubted that it would stay with the car, when I sell my car I would reliably recover most of what I spent on it. No need to transfer it -- buy a new Tesla and you have the money to buy FSD again. Everybody's happy.

But under the circumstances, where Tesla has been arbitrarily wiping the feature on traded-in cars (why?), and buyers and dealers have no way to be sure it won't vanish when title changes, it's an abnormal situation that Tesla created. For that, transferability must be an option until Tesla's policies are fair and crystal clear, so dealers are confident.

When I checked, my FSD-equipped Model 3 got the same price from Carvana as one without it. That locks me into my car, so I sure won't be eager to buy a new one. And it discourages new buyers from getting the ephemeral FSD accessory on their new car. Both are bad for Tesla and for us. Tesla created the problem, and Tesla should use their big brains to fix it.
Except it's not a problem for Tesla. It's a potential problem for you and I. They have nothing to solve because it works in their favor.

I could buy a plaid if I had a dollar for every time I've read "after buying it on my first 3 Teslas. I'm not buying FSD on my new S, etc" on this forum. Guess what, they don't care. The only way they would care is if it affected demand, and it surely hasn't as you can tell by the projected delivery dates.

Purchasing FSD outright was a Kickstarter campaign. When they roll out city streets, you'll see the take rate go up quite a bit through subscription and I predict eventually (within 2 years ) that will be the only way to buy it.

Almost everyone has a > $1000 phone in their pockets today, but I'd bet 80% are using monthly payments to pay for it. FSD is no different. They didn't offer the monthly subscription 2 years ago, because if rhey did, everyone would've subscribed one month and then unsubscribed because there was no value there.

It is what it is. Business 101

Most apps nowadays are subscriptions based.

They really are not. Out of all the apps I purchased on my phone there are like one or two that are subscription based, one of them being MS Office (they actually made it free now tho I think, and the payment is only for cloud storage?) and the other being Netflix which makes sense since there is new content.

All the other apps are either a one time perpetual license or free.