Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling judged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, the real question is why do other peoples opinions matter to you?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, as this is something I've had to work on myself.

It says more about them than you.
I do have to interject here: I don't think it's the other people's opinions that matter to the OP, but the fact that the OP just does not enjoy having to listen to the comments/remarks continually made about his expensive car. I, personally don't care what other people think about me OR what I do, how expensive my home is, what I drive or how expensive my jewelry might be, however it does bother me when people have the need to be rude and make comments about what I spend my money on. I don't love it, no. As far as I am concerned, if someone says something about how expensive my new Tesla is, I will just tell them how much I love it and move on along. It's no one else's business how I spend my money and I just do not let others make me feel guilty for buying what I can easily afford. PERIOD. I do get what the OP is saying, I get it.

like the OP I too have had to deal with some of those comments about the "expense" of my car. Including some initially from my parents who feel that my Tesla will take the place of grandchildren, because im "overburdened" by the cost of my S75d. (which was stated by my mother, who isn't right in the head. she once fought me getting a firebird because she thought a gang member would run me off the road.)Another poster on here stated he tells them he has a base model and that quiets the commenters. It does work. i feel like part of the problem is the misconception of the actual cost of the S. The non tesla educated just knows what they hear in the media (road and track, motor trend etc) that Tesla's are 100k+ supercars. Once they realize that an s75d can be in the 70's or near other luxury car levels they tend to stop with their comments (at least in my experience)

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85 and PrGrPa
Another poster on here stated he tells them he has a base model and that quiets the commenters. It does work. i feel like part of the problem is the misconception of the actual cost of the S. The non tesla educated just knows what they hear in the media (road and track, motor trend etc) that Tesla's are 100k+ supercars. Once they realize that an s75d can be in the 70's or near other luxury car levels they tend to stop with their comments (at least in my experience)
That only goes so far. At least where I live, saying "it's only $70K!" doesn't really make a damn difference. That's an uncommon amount of money to spend on a car here. The average vehicle price at my workplace is probably $25K. Vehicles over $50K are almost non-existent in that parking lot (besides my Tesla and one other, owned by the CEO... so you can see how that looks), so $70K is pretty damn high as it is.

I would temper and say one who's never owned a high end car before may or may not have an idea of what perception change it's going to trigger among friends, relatives and co-workers, but for sure it's somewhat more difficult to anticipate if you've never been there before.

I've been through pretty much everything OP has talked about and while I have not a problem with it (it actually amuses me and I find it a good opportunity to learn a little more about my own social network), my wife is way more affected by what others think.

One thing's for sure, is I'm not afraid of the reasons I got my S and so I'm not gonna hide my car. I enjoy it every day and if someone shows a negative reaction I make sure he knows it.

If a customer tries to give me a rough time about it, he gets the ''oh you have a problem with reinvesting hard-earned income to give back to the environment after all these years where my job meant I imposed a huge carbon footprint to give you the right service?'' rant. I understand that may not sit well everywhere but in Quebec most would be hard-pressed to argue against that.
YAY!! Well said.

That only goes so far. At least where I live, saying "it's only $70K!" doesn't really make a damn difference. That's an uncommon amount of money to spend on a car here. The average vehicle price at my workplace is probably $25K. Vehicles over $50K are almost non-existent in that parking lot (besides my Tesla and one other, owned by the CEO... so you can see how that looks), so $70K is pretty damn high as it is.
I agree with you there. It depends on where you live (which state, city, etc...) In cities where the cost of living is very high, salaries, in general, are higher. So, an $85,000 Tesla Model S 75d in San Francisco might not seem as extravagant as it would in, maybe, Birmingham, Alabama. Not that you won't see Teslas in Birmingham....you will. But you'll see a lot more in areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles etc. So it does depend on where you live. I wouldn't DARE say, "Oh my car? It was ONLY $85,000." Nope. That wouldn't work here. If someone has the nerve to remark about how much MY car cost, it would be best for me to just say, "I have no idea about 'that.' It's just fun to drive!" and change the subject. Meow!

Reactions: PrGrPa
Not sure if something similar was said upthread but, when I got my first Model S almost 5 years ago, my answer to both well-meaning friends as well as the jealous types was simple: “you only live once”.

That apart, I definitely don’t bring Tesla up in conversations myself. If others do and ask me pointed questions, I answer them succinctly and stay as humble as possible without appearing contrived.

All that aside, as others have said, the ones who try to “shame” you or give you a guilt trip about your passion for Tesla are not true friends so, tread carefully around them. And, there are tons of like-minded friends for you on here, many of us in the Bay Area!

I appreciate a lot of the responses here (with the exception of a couple typical internet jerks). I'm definitely still in that newcomer self-conscious phase, but it's good to hear I'm not the only one who has felt like that before. I posted hoping to realize just that and the comments have definitely offered a helpful perspective. Thanks!

If it helps, try buying a Tesla while currently working for one of the BIG three.
Ha! I just keep grinnin' and tell those who wish they were me, it CAN, be you!!!!

You can tell them your car is probably more American than most of the Big 3s production.

My dad is 60, and from the American muscle car era. The "made in America" thing was definitely a topic. I just picked it up Wednesday, so he hasn't had his first ride in it yet. That ought to be a fun experience. (I'll have to remember to take it out of "Chill" mode since the dogs won't be with us.)

I love my Model S 100D. Let me start out by saying that right away. Something however that I’ve dealt with is feeling and being judged negatively by friends and family for owning (leasing actually) such an expensive car. Even when I explain the fact that monthly costs after gas savings really aren’t much higher than my BMW X3, this car has a certain stigma that I’m not sure will ever go away.

We do pretty well financially for the Bay Area, but now after having leased this car, when people find out I have one all of a sudden “dinner is on me”. All of a sudden, we shouldn’t be complaining about the cost of our kid’s school, the cost of living out here, etc because “well, you have a Tesla, you can’t be hurting that bad.”

So I’m curious, is this something most of you deal with and how do you get past it. I try not to care too much what others think, but I also really dislike the feeling of being judged for the car I drive...

Meh... I just tell folks that, of the set of potential midlife crisis outlets, this was one of the cheaper alternatives. :)

Also.. a Tesla is not like a high end BMW/Merc/Porsche/whatever. People seem to see it more as a tech car, rather than a "luxury" car.

Reactions: CBPfromTN and Dr. J
You can tell them your car is probably more American than most of the Big 3s production.
You can be sure I do!
In fact our current 'work' car was built in Mexico, so I joke about how Walter Reuther would be turning in his grave if he knew and about people finding bundles of weed, where the spare tire is suppose to be. (joke)
My drive to work averages 400 + miles, every two days and I dearly would love it to be in the Tesla but I worry about having the car in such a negative space. Long stretches of highway which begs for AP! and not to mention the safety factor.

I love my Model S 100D. Let me start out by saying that right away. Something however that I’ve dealt with is feeling and being judged negatively by friends and family for owning (leasing actually) such an expensive car. Even when I explain the fact that monthly costs after gas savings really aren’t much higher than my BMW X3, this car has a certain stigma that I’m not sure will ever go away.

We do pretty well financially for the Bay Area, but now after having leased this car, when people find out I have one all of a sudden “dinner is on me”. All of a sudden, we shouldn’t be complaining about the cost of our kid’s school, the cost of living out here, etc because “well, you have a Tesla, you can’t be hurting that bad.”

So I’m curious, is this something most of you deal with and how do you get past it. I try not to care too much what others think, but I also really dislike the feeling of being judged for the car I drive...

I had a screw driver put through my drivers door at the shops a months ago by someone who was both ignorant and jealous....upset me but at least I can enjoy my car rather than be a sad git every day:)
Keep smiling!

I get it. As an elementary school teacher, I get asked all the time how I can afford a $100,000 car. I tell them I started to save when the Model S first came out. Then, in September, I purchased a 2014 P85 CPO for under $45,000. The payment is actually less than what I was spending for my previous car when you add up my payment + gas. That seems to satisfy most people's criticism.

I get it. As an elementary school teacher, I get asked all the time how I can afford a $100,000 car. I tell them I started to save when the Model S first came out. Then, in September, I purchased a 2014 P85 CPO for under $45,000. The payment is actually less than what I was spending for my previous car when you add up my payment + gas. That seems to satisfy most people's criticism.
What was the mileage on that vehicle?