Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling judged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think that’s bad? I got my first Model S earlier this year while still in my 20s. The comments I got from people were bothersome even when trying to be complimentary. Strangers would ask me what I did for a living and I gave them a broad overview of what I do but it can get a bit intrusive and i know they only ask because of the car. I have the income to justify the purchase but many people seem to assume it’s a $150k car when in reality I only paid half that when factoring in the federal EV tax credit. Although some coworkers thought I was crazy at first (even though we are on the same income level) s few have now reached out to me as they have been researching and are planning to purchase one as well. I loved seeing that change in attitude as it breaks this stereotype of Teslas are only for the super wealthy.

Strangers would ask me what I did for a living

The dreaded. What do you do line? I respond with. Its a pleasure to meet you. Then continue the conversation pretending that I did not hear that. Haven't met one person that persists with that line of questioning a second time. Sometimes the words never said mean more than the ones we say.

I definitely had this concern when buying my Model S this year, and I got a CPO S85 with 60K miles for way less than what a new Tesla would be (in fact it was 50% of this car's original price new). I still think about it, but honestly I haven't had anyone say anything snide to me at all yet. I could not justify spending double what I did (it was borderline as it was), but I realize that's not how it appears. I am sure to tell people I got it used and for a fantastic price (those that I do tell the price are surprised at the "deal" I got, so no worries there), and also that it is a non-performance vehicle. Honestly all we wanted was a long-range EV (so we could have no ICE vehicle), and it had to have a network as good (in our region) as the Supercharging network -- only Tesla meets that requirement right now. I also was successful in finding a vehicle with the textile seats rather than leather, which in addition to being the preference of both myself and my wife, does connote a less luxurious/expensive level to the vehicle.

Oddly, when I got my Nissan Leaf and the end of 2011, for ~$32K after tax credit, I *did* have people comment on it being a really expensive car, and how could I afford that, etc... *shrug*

Thankfully there aren't enough Teslas in WI for it to be automatically viewed as always being driven by a rich entitled asshole that's going to cut you off, etc... So at least I don't get that aspect (yet).

Last edited:
I can answer this.

Because Tesla's aren't luxury vehicles. I know they're called that, but they're not. The leather is cheap, the interior is a bit chincy, build quality is mediocre. Don't get me wrong, I love my Model X -- but it's not a luxury vehicle. It just has a luxury vehicle price tag.

The interior of my Audi S6 (2014) has a much, much better interior. Better build quality, better leather. When people get in my AUdi they point ouf the nice leather, the quilted stitching, the nice feel of the switches. When people get in my Tesla they focus on the screen, the tech.

They're not on the same level of luxury as the cars they're compared against, but that's okay.

While the interior of the car isn't ostentatious by any means, I'm sure the tech in general (software/hardware) is where a good portion of our car's purchase price goes; some towards the charging systems that give us nationwide range and convenience and some towards battery development and now towards development and manufacturing of expansion of the Tesla fleet. I'm so glad to be a part of a powerful and sexy zero emission vehicle ownership. I'm also happy that Telsa's goal is to advance the tech down to the masses. These aren't feelings that other "luxury" car owners have I'm pretty sure.

a Tesla? Please... Roll up to a gas station in a 3500 dually w/a 42 foot long twin engine performance boat behind you...

my buddy (owner) gets out...
Random Guy: "Wow, you have a big boat"
Friend: "Yea... but I have a really small ____"

it was hilarious and defused the whole thing.

Anytime someone thinks I have a few bucks, I ask if they have kids...
I hear those things are $400,000 EACH 0-18, without school! MAN, they must really be LOADED!

Adding my two cents since I only read the first page.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Me and my wife could care less about what enyone and I mean ENYONE has to say about us owning a Tesla. People had something to say when I purchased my BRAND NEW AUDI S8 but did I care?!? Nope! And if It looked like I did care I didn't.:rolleyes:

I loved seeing that change in attitude as it breaks this stereotype of Teslas are only for the super wealthy.
I wish I could say the same. After initial "wow" effect it goes back to the usual: a guy needs a brand new Super Duty because he's a guy. Even if it never comes close to towing anything or buying stuff at HD. To think that a new loaded F-250 can cost 60 grand (before they lift it), they could be closer to owning Tesla than they imagined.

I think there are several factors at work creating this attitude, most of my friends would never spend anywhere near this amount of money on a car. They understand that I’m a car person and have had nice cars over the years, they know I have solar and love not buying gas. I usually explain the 10 year cost of ownership and that helps them understand this is not necessarily a car for only the wealthy. It is all about priorities and I’m not wealthy and what disposable income I do have I spend on cars. Most people consider a car is strictly for transportation, different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: arcus
Funny thing, I've never had this.

I mean, I get Tesla moments all the time, some time ago some kids at a parking lot wanted me to open the rear doors and then took out their phones and took photos. Afterwards it got me thinking, it looked a bit suspicious opening doors for strangers' kids! Luckily I didn't ask them to try out the seats or anything. :D

Adults are curious about the range and the charging - some gush about it, some think it interesting. Nobody has thought of it vain or expensive in a bad way in three years.

I'm not surprised by the reactions listed in this thread, given that I've heard them with other cars. But never, ever have I gotten this with a Tesla. There's something about it... I wonder if it's the virtue signaling aspect or what. Or maybe the brand just isn't that ostentatious. It doesn't have that reputation for excess. Frankly, the cars don't look that ostentatious either - kind of Mazda, if you catch my drift.

Well, just sharing my note FWIW.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I wish I could say the same. After initial "wow" effect it goes back to the usual: a guy needs a brand new Super Duty because he's a guy. Even if it never comes close to towing anything or buying stuff at HD. To think that a new loaded F-250 can cost 60 grand (before they lift it), they could be closer to owning Tesla than they imagined.

That's the craziest part,
Fully loaded Ford Truck = Up to $80k
Decently optioned Escalade = $90k+
Nicely optioned Expedition = $80k+
Mercedes/BMW/Audi mid-size sedan = $70k+

By the time you factor in gas savings and tax credits/CA rebates a Tesla is a steal!

I love my Model S 100D. Let me start out by saying that right away. Something however that I’ve dealt with is feeling and being judged negatively by friends and family for owning (leasing actually) such an expensive car. Even when I explain the fact that monthly costs after gas savings really aren’t much higher than my BMW X3, this car has a certain stigma that I’m not sure will ever go away.

We do pretty well financially for the Bay Area, but now after having leased this car, when people find out I have one all of a sudden “dinner is on me”. All of a sudden, we shouldn’t be complaining about the cost of our kid’s school, the cost of living out here, etc because “well, you have a Tesla, you can’t be hurting that bad.”

So I’m curious, is this something most of you deal with and how do you get past it. I try not to care too much what others think, but I also really dislike the feeling of being judged for the car I drive...

Yeah I deal with this ALL of the time and I just laugh back...

Jeff

Guess its all relative. Some can afford it, but would never spend this much money on a car. I think a lot of the folks I am around might think of this as excessive. In the end it all boils down to whether it matters what others think. I am a car guy and love the safety and technology that the car affords. The fact that it looks nice and has quiet acceleration sealed the deal for me.

I love my Model S 100D. Let me start out by saying that right away. Something however that I’ve dealt with is feeling and being judged negatively by friends and family for owning (leasing actually) such an expensive car. Even when I explain the fact that monthly costs after gas savings really aren’t much higher than my BMW X3, this car has a certain stigma that I’m not sure will ever go away.

We do pretty well financially for the Bay Area, but now after having leased this car, when people find out I have one all of a sudden “dinner is on me”. All of a sudden, we shouldn’t be complaining about the cost of our kid’s school, the cost of living out here, etc because “well, you have a Tesla, you can’t be hurting that bad.”

So I’m curious, is this something most of you deal with and how do you get past it. I try not to care too much what others think, but I also really dislike the feeling of being judged for the car I drive...

It’s impossible to avoid judgment by others. You were being judged by friends and family before u got your tesla. Do you remember the judging you were subject to in middle school?

The issue is not the judgment by others. In fact, it’s not an issue with your friends and family at all. I suspect it’s more you and your own feelings of unworthiness of owning and driving such an expensive car. Once you are comfortable with it yourself, the “judgment” of others will just roll off your back.

Besides - aren’t teslas as common as camrys in the bay? Not like your driving around a lambo or Ferrari, right?

So spending a lot on a depreciating asset initially felt weird but the car is just too incredible to ignore.
So true, but I don't think most people get that. For me I think the biggest thing was I've always loved to drive, but the guilt over burning fossil fuels to do it, ruined a lot of the experience. Especially after the first Gulf War. I just don't think most people feel guilty about driving ice cars, so they don't really understand why I would spend so much on an electric car. I figure if/when they own an electric car they will finally get me. Not because of the guilt, but because it's so superior to owning a gas car.

Reactions: berkeley_ecar

Can totally relate. My friend who's the electrician that did the 240v install at my house first quip was, "Ohhh, there she is! The kids' junior college fund!". The jabs didn't stop there, but he's the epitome of a ballbuster, and I grew up that way, so all's good.

I get the, "Wow, cool"s to my face, then later hear it was a stupid purchase behind my back.

So yeah, you're getting judged. But judgments are everywhere, about almost every damn thing to varying degrees.

All the jabs are in a way true. Some people just dont think 60-150k spent on a car is a wise decision. And they are likely right in the end.Its a bad investment period.
I agree a tesla cannot ever be compared to an ice because its like apples to halibut. Diff tech and while the electric to me is the future tech it still costs money to run and some say it still dirties the environment to a point. Yea whatever.

Its like having a gas pump at home in theory when you charge at night. Reminds me of hotwheel sizzlers from when i was a kid.

The norm of ice is what people are used to and in the ice world there are levels of luxury too and people have attitudes on that as well. I used to always have older mint bmw/mercedes cars when i was younger as i liked the older cars and people would always think i had $$$ but my cars were usually same price or less then theirs just a few years older but looked new.

In an ice car i dislike most of the new cars avail. I think driving a mint bmw 2002 model would be way cooler then a 2018 mercedes. but thats me. Those 2002 models had zip and were a blast to drive. for instance. Or an older mint vw gti mk2 with the dual round headlights..awesome...but still ice of course....show up to work in a mint vw 1986 gti or even older rabbit and they wont think you are rich and think they are wealthier in their 2017 honda.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I get the comments sometimes, but generally I quickly shut them down with "I bought it used, and I'm saving $1000/month in gas." I make decent money for my age, and I'm single with no kids or girlfriend, so I have the money to be able to buy things like a Model S and not hurt for the money. With that being said, though, I could easily afford this car making 30% less than i'm making now, even without the gas savings.

I've always financed my cars on short terms (2-3 years) so my car payments have always been "high" compared to most people, so the Model S isn't a big deal to pay for.

The more often argument I hear is "It must be annoying having to wait for the car to charge" to which my reply is "20 minutes every 2 hours of driving is more of a blessing than a curse."

Reactions: hacer
So, here's a fun scenario for you:

I was in the military for 12 years, saw the world, did my thing.

Stayed in Virginia for a while when I got out, met the woman who would become my wife, then we eventually made our way back to the town I grew up in.

If you thought you felt judged....I picked up my S today, and was pulling back in from the dealership when school let out. All of the housewives picking up their kids from the bus stop just stared...seeing a Tesla on their street full of Subarus and Chevys.

I'm ok with it, because I went to school with a few of them.

It's just odd to me that people living so closely, who may have had a connection at one time (in this case, school), can drift far apart geographically, get back together geographically, and end up leading so vastly different lives.

I'm so glad I didn't end up picking up a minivan today.