Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finalizing CPO 85 purchase / recent experiences? Mixed reviews. Help me decide, I'll buy you a beer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, this place has been awesome, thank you. I've been spending every bit of free time I have reading up on common issues and the CPO process, specifically. Some of y'all had awful experiences, some had great ones.

What I'm looking for is Parking Sensors, glass pano roof, and as few miles & issues as possible while staying at or under $60k. Hence, hoping for a 2014 or late 2013. Not very picky about colors. I'm in the Bay Area, primarily looking for California vehicles so that I can go get it myself and drive back home. Not a ton of options in the Bay right now. I also have to say the CPO advisor I've been exchanging emails with hasn't been very helpful, very slow responses, and that's only after I inquire twice about the same thing. I imagine they are overloaded, but still. Not exactly confidence-inspiring, especially considering some of the previous bad CPO experiences discussed here on TMC.

I managed to narrow it all down to 6 cars that fit my criteria. Anything you notice re: pros & cons, as well as pricing (i.e. good/bad/okay deal), would be much appreciated:

1) Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla

2) 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H16EFP32909 | Tesla

3) 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H15EFP46512 | Tesla

4) 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H16EFP45319 | Tesla

5) 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN8DFP27204 | Tesla

6) 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1DN3DFP20899 | Tesla (this is the only one near me, the advantage being I can probably go check it out in person first)

P.S. Some might already know this, but for those who struggled like me, trying to get an answer from Tesla or figure out which cars have parking sensors or other options you're looking for, here's an awesome post explaining how: How to tell if an CPO has parking sensors. Is there a serial number date when it added standard in tech packages? • /r/teslamotors
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/538b4l/how_to_tell_if_an_cpo_has_parking_sensors_is/
P.P.S. About that beer, I mean it.

All of the vehicles you have listed are great cars and I am really excited to see CPO cars getting into the sub 50s price point (Some will complain about depreciation but I'm not one).

Ultimately a lot of this is personal taste. I hate/despise/loathe/detest wood panels in cars....so it's was an immediate deal breaker for me in looking for my car (I bought used off this forum instead of a CPO). But a few things I will tell you I am glad about:

1) The pano roof is nice but I have decided I actually could have lived without it even though it was on my must have list

2) the Next gen seats are really helpful, I had listed them as a "I don't care" but I am glad I got them. My first drive in the car was from Dallas to Chicago. My butt thanked me.

3) when spending 50k plus on a car don't limit yourself to your local area. A plane ticket, hotel, uber is less than 3% of the purchase price and maybe you take a day or two off work to drive it home. Wth super chargers it's super easy. So don't be afraid to expand your horizons to find the perfect car.

PPS- With the Holiday season quickly approaching I'll take a Troegs Mad Elf...lived for 11 years in PA and man do I miss that brewery.

PPPS: welcome to the tesla family!

All of the vehicles you have listed are great cars and I am really excited to see CPO cars getting into the sub 50s price point (Some will complain about depreciation but I'm not one).

Ultimately a lot of this is personal taste. I hate/despise/loathe/detest wood panels in cars....so it's was an immediate deal breaker for me in looking for my car (I bought used off this forum instead of a CPO). But a few things I will tell you I am glad about:

1) The pano roof is nice but I have decided I actually could have lived without it even though it was on my must have list

2) the Next gen seats are really helpful, I had listed them as a "I don't care" but I am glad I got them. My first drive in the car was from Dallas to Chicago. My butt thanked me.

3) when spending 50k plus on a car don't limit yourself to your local area. A plane ticket, hotel, uber is less than 3% of the purchase price and maybe you take a day or two off work to drive it home. Wth super chargers it's super easy. So don't be afraid to expand your horizons to find the perfect car.

PPS- With the Holiday season quickly approaching I'll take a Troegs Mad Elf...lived for 11 years in PA and man do I miss that brewery.

I agree with what he mentioned except for pano roof. In my opinion the pano roof is a MUST. You will realize the height of the model S is actually really low. If you don't have the pano roof, you will feel "compressed?" (Not sure if I'm using the right wording here)

I would go test drive one without the pano roof and you will instantly notice a difference

Pano is a must. I generally hate sunroofs and always have them closed on other cars. However Tesla's pano is a necessity because otherwise you feel very compressed. I am only 5 7 and I feel totally fine in a BMW but feel compressed in a non-pano Tesla because the bottom of the Tesla is battery so you end up having less vertical room in the cabin. Trust me, you need the pano.

Next gen seats are a must. I hate the original seats. However I think this is subjective.

How do you feel about folding mirrors? I am looking for a CPO with both options (parking sensors and folding mirrors), maybe for the same reason you are (it's a BIG car). Several of those older VIN CPOs don't have folding mirrors, so that might help narrow the field.

Otherwise, I would go for the highest VIN as others have suggested.

I had a loaner with folding mirrors (which my car does not have). I liked it ok when in the garage for a bit more room, but my setup doesn't require it. Parking sensors are a bit of a God send for me though and very glad I held out for those (I probably rely on them a bit too much honestly).

How do you feel about folding mirrors? I am looking for a CPO with both options (parking sensors and folding mirrors), maybe for the same reason you are (it's a BIG car). Several of those older VIN CPOs don't have folding mirrors, so that might help narrow the field.

Otherwise, I would go for the highest VIN as others have suggested.

Looks like the 6 vehicles I listed have folding mirrors. Good to know, though. Didn't think some wouldn't have it, but I'm starting to see that some of the earlier VINs were pretty bare sometimes.

Starting to lean towards the two lower (20k+) mileage, higher (40k+) VIN 2014s in SoCal, $60k and $61k, respectively. A couple more thousand $, but much newer and less used.

Anyone know what kind of taxes and other costs I'm looking at? I ran a search but couldn't find anything concrete. I'm definitely getting the CHAdeMo adapter.

I'm actually in the craft beer business. I'm in the Bay Area, so you'll have to give me a shout when you visit. But I used to work for a craft beer distributor in New York, and sold my fair share of Troegs.

• Love
Reactions: Phoenixhawk101
Have you used ev-cpo.com? (not affiliated). When I purchased my CPO, I signed up for the monthly plan which gave me more filters to help search for my car and it will give you a greater list of all the car option codes. It was spot on for my 2014 P85+ purchase.

And my overall experience was good. I managed to get my car on Sept 1st and only a bit later than originally estimated. I used my CPO advisor very little and relied on my research and the site listed above to make the decision regarding my purchase.

Lastly, the CPO car will be at one of the Tesla Service Centers. So you could find out where it is, contact the service center manager and validate some of your questions also.

Model S, Options by year:
Model S options by year - a running history

My 2 Cents: Get a vin over 40k. Next gen seats, folding mirrors, etc. I've also read that people who get the High Fidelity Sound system are glad they did.
Folding mirrors started around VIN 25k and were included in the technology package. The 27xxx might have them (it claims to), the 20xxx wouldn't. The others are a lot newer, so they probably do.

40k sounds about right for the next gen seats, but none of the proposed options have those. I'd suggest OP sit in both if he hasn't already. Even today they're pretty polarizing: some love them, some do not.

If it were me, I'd choose one of the higher-VIN ones. I have a 25k VIN and had lots of (minor) quality issues. I'd skip that 20xxx that's the closest to you.

I'd also consider the pano roof mandatory if you want adults in the rear seats, as the roofline gets really low back there. Finally, I'd want to make sure it has the power liftgate: for the VIN ranges in your first post, this was in the technology package. It seems like a stupid thing, but if you don't have it you will miss it, I can practically guarantee it.

So after studying them, I'd probably go with this one: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN8DFP27204 | Tesla
Has the features I find are crucial. Since you don't care about color, flat white was cheaper than the other other colors so you save a bit there. Essentially it has all of the functional options, but few of the cosmetic ones. I know I literally just said I'd get one of the higher-VIN ones and this one is a 27xxx, but it's a LOT cheaper than the 45xxx options without having a lot more miles. That seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Thought of another question: Do you want/need air suspension? The white one doesn't have it, while most or all of the others do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
Next Gen seats are preference, but are a must for me in my next Tesla. I'm trying really hard to buy some off a salvage, I want them bad (just not SvC 5K retrofit bad).

Pano made my gf love the tesla. Sadly I don't have one, but in the loaners, she went from "dont care about this dumb car" to "this is cool, we should get one with a pano roof".

Folding mirrors started around VIN 25k and were included in the technology package. The 27xxx might have them (it claims to), the 20xxx wouldn't. The others are a lot newer, so they probably do.

40k sounds about right for the next gen seats, but none of the proposed options have those. I'd suggest OP sit in both if he hasn't already. Even today they're pretty polarizing: some love them, some do not.

If it were me, I'd choose one of the higher-VIN ones. I have a 25k VIN and had lots of (minor) quality issues. I'd skip that 20xxx that's the closest to you.

I'd also consider the pano roof mandatory if you want adults in the rear seats, as the roofline gets really low back there. Finally, I'd want to make sure it has the power liftgate: for the VIN ranges in your first post, this was in the technology package. It seems like a stupid thing, but if you don't have it you will miss it, I can practically guarantee it.

So after studying them, I'd probably go with this one: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN8DFP27204 | Tesla
Has the features I find are crucial. Since you don't care about color, flat white was cheaper than the other other colors so you save a bit there. Essentially it has all of the functional options, but few of the cosmetic ones. I know I literally just said I'd get one of the higher-VIN ones and this one is a 27xxx, but it's a LOT cheaper than the 45xxx options without having a lot more miles. That seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Thought of another question: Do you want/need air suspension? The white one doesn't have it, while most or all of the others do.
Very much appreciate the detailed response.

I am on the fence about air suspension, though leaning towards nice to have, for the times I drive through rough roads? What other factors should I consider?

The worry I have about the white one, is that it's a crapshoot as to whether it will have those lots of minor quality issues you had – it's very close to yours in VIN. I feel like going from $54k to $60k for a much newer car, lower miles and avoiding the hassle and wasted time of getting a bunch of issues fixed... feels reasonable to me.

Very much appreciate the detailed response.

I am on the fence about air suspension, though leaning towards nice to have, for the times I drive through rough roads? What other factors should I consider?

The worry I have about the white one, is that it's a crapshoot as to whether it will have those lots of minor quality issues you had – it's very close to yours in VIN. I feel like going from $54k to $60k for a much newer car, lower miles and avoiding the hassle and wasted time of getting a bunch of issues fixed... feels reasonable to me.
It'll be a smoother ride. I have the coils and very much disliked the feel of the air suspension during high speed turns, particularly during direction changes. Many like it, though, and the general consensus is that it was vastly improved on cars produced after the D announcement (which I don't think are any of these). I never felt like I really needed it, though I do generally need to be careful with inclines or it scrapes slightly. Then I moved and my driveway is REALLY steep, so it's tricky backing it out. Doable, but tricky.

Right around when mine was made was when the issues started getting sorted out. From what I've seen I kind of have an outlier and more problems than most. The nice thing about it being a CPO is that anything that comes up is covered for many years yet. But it's undoubtedly a hassle to get it into the SC for repair. If reducing the chance of visiting the SC is worth that $6k to you, I think you've narrowed your list to two (I'd kick out the high-mileage black 45xxx because of this position on the SC visits).

Personally, on a CPO, I wouldn't worry about the miles. The 50k warranty is from delivery to you, so if it has 20k miles or 40k miles, the warranty is just as long. Now, newer vs. older I can understand. As Gizmo said, I would stick to above 25k and you'll have all the common must-haves (not that the lower VIN cars are bad choices - you just have to research them more).

As others have said, look nationwide. Don't limit yourself to just around California.

Taxes and fees are simply whatever California charges. If you are traveling to pick up the car and drive it home anywhere in the mainland US, Tesla won't charge you anything on a CPO. You only pay whatever the government-required fees are.

I would stick with a 2014. You are more guaranteed to get the fold mirrors as well as the better quality build cars. I hear the 2012 and 2013 had a lot of issues.
You really have to go by VIN. Even it's not exact, but "2014" means essentially nothing in the detail he's looking for. For 2013/2014, it could be the difference between a car built on Tuesday and one on Wednesday.

Personally, on a CPO, I wouldn't worry about the miles. The 50k warranty is from delivery to you, so if it has 20k miles or 40k miles, the warranty is just as long.
I think this is reasonable too, but OP already said he was willing to spend $6k in an attempt to limit visits to the SC. In that context, I think one with low miles should probably be a serious consideration. In my opinion, anyway.