Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally 120KW Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just rolled into DE supercharger nearly "empty" and got a good rate...

Sig737/VIN628 so a pretty early delivery.

erybu7av.jpg

Excellent! About 118kW :)

Strange. Anything different about your car? Like was the battery pack ever replaced or anything?

I've been following this on a number of threads. We have yet to hear from someone that tested both a low and high VIN number to confirm the difference is due to the car and not the supercharger. I.E. It may be listed as 120kW but isn't charging at that rate at that time.

Not saying it isn't hardware in the car, just saying I haven't seen confirmation of that yet.

I've been following this on a number of threads. We have yet to hear from someone that tested both a low and high VIN number to confirm the difference is due to the car and not the supercharger. I.E. It may be listed as 120kW but isn't charging at that rate at that time.

Not saying it isn't hardware in the car, just saying I haven't seen confirmation of that yet.

I suppose you will only be satisfied if Tesla issues a press release, but I don't know why you keep repeating this mantra and ignoring the numerous posts of people getting near 120kW charging from Superchargers whilst Sig owners using the very same Superchargers are limited to 90kW? I mean, it must be a dozen or more posts from folks with mid-range or later numbererd VINs who have reported getting at or near 120kW from numerous Superchargers in OR, WA and CO, and Sig owners using 5.x maxing out at 90 kW on the very same Superchargers, even when no other car was charging alongside them. Are you saying that all of these other Sig owners are just making it up? The only report of a Sig owner getting more than 90kW is from one whose entire pack was replaced. That gives us yet more information.

So, unless Tesla has a magic Supercharger ferry that hovers over all of the new Superchargers and randomly flips an invisible switch between 120kW and 90kW, and the ferry doesn't like Sig owners or their cars, what other possible explanation is there? Plus you're ignoring the reports from ckessel who was told by a Tesla representative that his car, a Sig, was limited to 90kW charging.

What more evidence do you need? Do you need to have a video of two cars at the very same Supercharger charging at the same time with one getting 90kW and the other 120kW? My guess is that even this won't be enough for you, as you'd say that somehow the Sig was getting less charge because of the other car or because the magic Supercharger ferry wanted to discriminate against the Sig owner and flipped the invisible switch to 90kW.

Excellent! Looks like I may have gotten a second bonus for dealing with being stranded by a failed battery pack. First one was getting back the lost 16 rated miles on a full charge and now a possibility of 120 kW charging!

Meaning sigs were essentially built early on before vendor agreements were finalized. Thus, things changed as expected and later vehicles are using "better" parts. They had to scramble early on and when they didn't have enough parts they just used whatever they could, including the same parts used in the prototype models.
Reread what you said and that I quoted.

I wasn't told my car wasn't a jetski either. That doesn't imply that my car is a jetski.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, well, that explains why you've got 120khw support with a low VIN.

So...I just need my battery pack to fail :rolleyes:
Now would be a great time for Tesla to follow up on that Battery Replacement Plan that seems to be going the way of the sunshade. Just sayin'....

I see absolutely no fairness or logic behind that model. Want retrofit.
Well, the logic would be the expense. If it's in the battery pack then that'd be a big hit to Tesla for a relatively minor upgrade. I'm one of the very, very last folks to get old 90kwh support, but how minutes would I realistically save in a lifetime of typical supercharging use? At some point, I can understand if the retrofit cost isn't worth the karmic cost of leaving older cars out of the 120kwh party, even if I'm one of those folks left out.

Regardless, Tesla still needs to make public which cars have which charging support as cars continue to advance as it's knowledge people should have when looking at used Teslas.