Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally - national data on the number of BEVs and Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our state transport department is working to provide categorisation of vehicle registration data based on propulstion type etc. My recent registration notice had "NA" under number of cylinders (previously it was categorised as 4-cylinder, so some progress on that aspect).
Yes, as per my OP, TAS and SA are doing “data cleansing” and upgrading their systems to properly (or better) record motive power.

TAS also told me they do not collect statistics by manufacturer, which seems rather extraordinary since I assume that upon initial registration of a car you have to record what kind of car it is and who makes it? Surely that could not be hard to extract...

TAS also told me they do not collect statistics by manufacturer, which seems rather extraordinary...
"do not collect statistics" - to be charitable they must have misunderstood the question or assumed a strict technical definition of statistics.

See the screenshot below from Transport Tasmania's registration check website, obviously their database has the necessary fields (even if the field definition is simply text it could be extracted).

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 1.52.41 pm.png

If you want to include a snippet from the response you received I can follow-up with them through StateGrowth (the FOI department) and ask questions (I am on an email thread with them about release of this information).

SA require all EV first registered after 1 Jan 2019 to have specific EV number plates and they also sell stickers for those with EV registered prior to this to add to their plates. Thus SA motor vehicles dept should be able accurate data on EV from 1/1/19 forward as well as any sales of EV stickers.

SA are in the process of cleansing their motive power data, so cannot advise at the moment how many BEVs are registered in SA but told me the number of Teslas.

For ACT stats there is a link on the AEVA ACT Branch web page:

Some of you may recall my frustration expressed in this thread Tesla market share of BEVs in NSW regarding the absence of national data on BEVs and Teslas.

So instead of remaining frustrated, I contacted the relevant authority in every state and territory of Australia to source the data directly. It was an interesting exercise. Some jurisdictions were brilliant to deal with - WA, QLD and SA take a bow. WA answered and provided the data within hours. QLD was not far behind and offered to produce a bespoke report for me quarterly. SA are in the process of cleansing their motive power data, so cannot advise at the moment how many BEVs are registered in SA but told me the number of Teslas. VIC was acceptable - it took a week before they got back to me, but were responsive once I got a dialogue going.

At the back of the pack were the rest. For ACT I had to fill out a form (the only jurisdiction requiring it) and it took nearly 3 weeks to get the data. NT asked me to explain why I required the data, and if they agreed to supply it, a $200 fee would be applicable. In the end I contacted the policy officer for electric vehicles in the NT who provided what she could without charge, but could not tell me how many Teslas there are. TAS were just slow in responding and are also doing a motive power data cleansing exercise like SA so could not provide what I requested, but also said they do not collect statistics by manufacturer, so the number of Teslas in TAS will remain a mystery.

The other challenge is each jurisdiction classify vehicles differently - so I needed to be very precise about what data I wanted (BEV light passenger vehicles, and not vans, motorcycles, trucks or non-BEVs like PHEVs or other hybrids). Even then, I cannot guarantee the data that I ended up with is completely clean and comparable but it's as good as it gets for the moment.

So drumroll... here's the (almost) national data on passenger BEVs and Teslas as at the end of 2019:

View attachment 520519

So there you have it... by now we would be approaching 7000 Teslas in Australia, and they hold about 60% of the national market in passenger BEVs!

Interesting that Tesla's WA's market share is the lowest (presumably a result of limited presence there / no SCs for a long time) and that VIC has more passenger BEVs than NSW (but not as many Teslas) - possibly because it's a small state and people are not as range sensitive as in the larger states?

It was also a lesson for me to be more consistent in my NSW reporting. The NSW BEV tally above removes all the non-light passenger vehicles which is why the number is a fair bit smaller than reported in my other thread.

Cheers!
There are now just over 15000 Tesla arrived in Australia since 2014. One third of them have arrived in the first half of 2021.