Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated to 4.2 last night. On my car the ideal range line (this is not the dotted line. The dotted line is your AVERAGE wh:/km) is NOT FIXED. It still is around 275 whether in km or miles. I would expect it around 175 wh/km if the baseline is 275 wh/mile. Who else has 2.4 and can double check this? This should be a no brainer fix. Not sure why it would not get fixed. I find it really annoying.

Same here. On 1.19.42. Not fixed.

IF USER_DISTANCE_UNIT=KM THEN DISPLAY_RATED_AVERAGE = RATED_AVERAGE / 1.60934

The ambient light buzzing comes from the fact that they do not like to be dimmed and, at the moment, the dimming of the ambient LEDs is controlled by the same parameter as the dimming of the main screen. If you put the screen brightness at 100%, the ambient LEDs will also be at 100% (not dimmed) and the buzzing will stop. They need to decouple the two and have a separate dimming for the screen and ambient lighting.

FWIW, I get the buzzing if I dim the ambient lights/screen to 86% or lower (and as I go lower the intensity of the buzzing increases). If I up it a notch to 87%, it stops. So there is where I have it set at.

Same here. On 1.19.42. Not fixed.

IF USER_DISTANCE_UNIT=KM THEN DISPLAY_RATED_AVERAGE = RATED_AVERAGE / 1.60934

LOL. +1. There should be one software engineer dedicated to fixing all the simple bugs reported.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I get the buzzing if I dim the ambient lights/screen to 86% or lower (and as I go lower the intensity of the buzzing increases). If I up it a notch to 87%, it stops. So there is where I have it set at.

Same for me mkascao. Starts at around 85%. Might be just that it is still present and faint at 95% but, at my age, I don't hear it :)

That would work too. I was thinking that everything is starting up when the car detects the key, but foot on the brake would be best.

- - - Updated - - -

That would work too. I was thinking that everything is starting up when the car detects the key, but foot on the brake would be best.

I just found a new bug that hadn't happened to me before 4.2. It seems that sometimes the Google Maps screen will stay in the wrong mode (day or night) when the car changes. For example, when I get in the car when it is in the garage it is in night mode because the garage is dark. When I back out into the daylight the car switches to day mode but the Google Maps will stay in night mode. I've found that if I switch to something else and them back to the map it will re-draw in the correct mode. Maybe 4.2 is now trying to cache the maps and it is caching the mode which it is in. Just a guess. Anyone else notice this problem in 4.2?

DrComputer, I can confirm i have the same behavior with Google Maps since i updated to 4.2 last night. I also think your theory is correct about the car now caching the maps and I can reproduce at will. Here is what I do:

Let's say you are in Daytime mode. Google maps are loaded in day mode (white background).
Go to car settings and force the screen to night mode.
All the screens go into night mode (like energy, for example) BUT the Google maps stay in Day mode.
They will stay in day mode unless you zoom in our out and thus force reloading of map data OR you drive to an area off the current map view at which point the car needs to load new data. If you do this, the old area that was up in Day mode stays white and the new tiles for the new regions are in night mode.

you can also do the complete inverse, starting in night mode, loading maps (black) and then changing to day mode (the maps will stay white until new data is required).

I do not really mind this behavior as it will happen only rarely (when transitioning from day to night or night to day) and a simple refresh fixes the issue. At least some caching is going on which is smart and reduces the amount of 3G usage, leaving it for other applications.

Doug. Is your range line now accurate in wh/km after the update? Mine is not even with 4.2 but someone else posted that it was fixed! It stays at around 275 whether I put it in km or miles.

Nope, they didn't fix it in 1.19.42. Would be a nice feature if it worked. (Well I guess it does in the USA.)

This was the very first bug I noticed - within 15 minutes of getting behind the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Does regen feel stronger to anyone? Or am I crazy?

I had the impression that regen was a bit stronger towards the very end, when you're getting pretty slow and are about to stop.

This is something I've always wanted in the Roadster!

Today, a week after my update to 4.2 (1.19.41), I received the prompt for another update. And indeed it is 4.2 (1.19.42) which appears to be rolling out fairly aggressively. I can only hope they're working up to the release of the iOS app. Any minute now would be fine, thank you very much!

I had the impression that regen was a bit stronger towards the very end, when you're getting pretty slow and are about to stop.
This is something I've always wanted in the Roadster!
Meaning that if there is no traffic (surprise interrupts) but there are street lights with predictable reds, you can successfully drive 100% in 1-pedal mode?

Maybe. I've managed to stop without braking, but I think it depends on the slope of the road.

Right. That has been my experience too. One note of caution though: as you are coasting on the accelerator with the regen, be sure to get used to the distance needed to come to a complete stop by applying the friction brakes with some time and distance to spare. On a few occasions, I've stopped a little too far into the crosswalk or a little too close to the car in front as the friction brakes took time and distance to kick in.