Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone see a difference with the rates range as of the new release? In the morning I used to have > 230 miles now I have 224 every morning.

I am also starting the day with about 15 miles less range than before the update to 4.5, without having changed the charge slider. I'm guessing/hoping that Tesla has slightly decreased the recommended daily charge to maximize battery life (accounting for the difference).

Got 4.5 (1.33.48) last Saturday. No issues at all. Yes, I hear the fan behind the screen, but it's very soft and unless I am actually focusing on it, I don't hear it. I also sometimes heard it with 4.4. I am amazed how some people are having issues, but most are not. Someone suggested different hardware levels of the modules in the car. I'm very happy with the update. Now if they can fix the drive system squeal at high acceleration levels, next week I will be a very happy camper.

Gotcha - if that's the case then I'm okay. My worry is that the rating was reading incorrectly.

If you want to specifically verify, you can use the powershell script to look at your actual charge %.

From the posting by XrstalLes:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...REST-API/page7

Just copy it to a file (Tesla.ps1) and run from PowerShell. (You need to slightly modify it for your login username and password). Look at the battery_level value.

On 4.4 my charge level reported for a standard charge is 93%. brianman reported on 4.5 the "standard" level is now 91%.

Interesting thought. Perhaps it should be user-selectable. I am also on TOU rates and have charging scheduled for off peak hours, but note that the shore power draw for powering accessories is much lower than charging current. I think when the cold winter months hit, I'd prefer to use a bit of on-peak power to pre-heat the car and the battery pack rather than set out with a cold pack and/or one that has lost some range due to temperature. At this time of year, using the battery and charging back up off-peak might be preferred.

I appreciate the simplicity of the current scheduled charging start time.

But it really would make sense to allow the owner to put it their TOU plan time periods -- and allow for daily differences and both off-peak and super off-peak. Our TOU plan is has off-peak from 9PM-9AM M-F and all day on weekends. Would be very nice to let the car decide when to charge of off-peak or super-off peak (if avail to the owner). I currently have scheduled charging set to start at 2AM -- which works great for the work week. But I'm more likely to be in and out on weekends, so would be nice not to have to turn scheduled charging off on weekends to let it top up when at home during the day...

If I lived in Arizona, I'd have solar power and it wouldn't matter. As a matter of fact, even though I live in Chicago, I have solar power and TOU doesn't matter.

Ribbing aside, doesn't seem as if it would be too much trouble to turn off scheduled charging on weekends and revert for the week... until Tesla merges with Nest and we have a car that "learns" your charging preferences.

I appreciate the simplicity of the current scheduled charging start time.

But it really would make sense to allow the owner to put it their TOU plan time periods -- and allow for daily differences and both off-peak and super off-peak. Our TOU plan is has off-peak from 9PM-9AM M-F and all day on weekends. Would be very nice to let the car decide when to charge of off-peak or super-off peak (if avail to the owner). I currently have scheduled charging set to start at 2AM -- which works great for the work week. But I'm more likely to be in and out on weekends, so would be nice not to have to turn scheduled charging off on weekends to let it top up when at home during the day...

Got 4.5 (1.33.48) last Saturday. No issues at all. Yes, I hear the fan behind the screen, but it's very soft and unless I am actually focusing on it, I don't hear it.

I installed 1.33.48 yesterday and noticed the noise. To my ears it sounds like the spinning of a hard disk drive, but I know that's not the case.
I only really hear it when I go through a poor signal area and the Slacker music stops.

My 7yo son noticed the power gauge difference and asked me why does it show 15 and 30 now instead of 20 and 40. Observant guy!

Got 4.5 Friday. I've notice auto-presenting handles isn't quite right, Bluetooth, especially for music, is iffy if my phone (iPhone 5) is in my pocket.

Those are minor things, given the improved maps and map history.

What is not so minor or good is the vampire load is off the charts!

Interesting thought. Perhaps it should be user-selectable. I am also on TOU rates and have charging scheduled for off peak hours, but note that the shore power draw for powering accessories is much lower than charging current. I think when the cold winter months hit, I'd prefer to use a bit of on-peak power to pre-heat the car and the battery pack rather than set out with a cold pack and/or one that has lost some range due to temperature. At this time of year, using the battery and charging back up off-peak might be preferred.

Good point. I agree- need to make it an option.

I installed 1.33.48 yesterday and noticed the noise. To my ears it sounds like the spinning of a hard disk drive, but I know that's not the case.
I only really hear it when I go through a poor signal area and the Slacker music stops.

My 7yo son noticed the power gauge difference and asked me why does it show 15 and 30 now instead of 20 and 40. Observant guy!

same here.

I've noticed in V4.5 (.48) that the annoying behavior with resuming cruise control is gone. Previously, if you had, for example, cruise control set to 45mph and you stopped or slowed down and then accelerated fast and resumed cruise before reaching 45mph and then released your foot off of the accelerator, the car would decelerate abruptly, go into regen for a while and accelerate again until it reached 45mph. Now, it seems to decelerate imperceptibly and immediately begin to accelerate to 45mph.

The previous behavior had me resuming cruise and keeping my foot on the accelerator for a few seconds until the car caught up. Now I can quickly remove my foot and not worry about the car slowing down and the brakes coming on.

I have 4.5 (1.33.44) and have definitely noticed the constant fan noise even with the car OFF. I took some spectrograms using my Android phone using SpectralPro Analyzer. Who knew your phone could become an acoustic spectrum analyzer for a couple of bucks!!

The first spectrogram (Vertical Axis = Frequency (KHz) , Horizontal Axis = time (50 sec), the color code is along the left and shows the color/intensity of the frequency components in Decibels relative to full scale) is the car parked and "powered down" with screen off and the measurement about a foot from the 17" display. I'm sitting in the drivers seat with nothing ON. Notice the tone at approximately 500 Hz and two harmonics at 1000 Hz and 1500 Hz. This is the fan from behind the 17" screen. Its pretty low level, but definitely noticeable in the car and not present in previous software builds.

Specgraphtesla car off[1].jpg

The second spectrogram is with the car ON, but parked. The 17" screen is powered on. Same conditions as before, I'm in the drivers seat with the phone about a foot away from the screen. There are more tones present, but you can still see the fan noise from the first image. There were lots of other noises coming and going. Most at low levels, but definitely something you can hear.

Specgraphteslafannoise[1].jpg

The third spectrogram is with the climate control set to 2 with A/C ON. Definitely louder and more noises.

Specgraphteslaac on fan2[1].jpg

The fourth spectrogram is climate control set to 11 and AC ON...very noisy, lots of broadband noise and tones (as expected)...

Specgraphteslaac on fan11[1].jpg

I'm sitting in the drivers seat with nothing ON. Notice the tone at approximately 500 Hz and two harmonics at 1000 Hz and 1500 Hz. This is the fan from behind the 17" screen. Its pretty low level, but definitely noticeable in the car and not present in previous software builds.

So, do you think being naked in the drivers seat helped in taking your measurements?:eek:

Larry