Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if its been mentioned* but the performance of the day/night mode switching has been improved. Previously my display would flip to day mode for a minute or two after exiting my parking garage at night. This no longer happens on .61 (the first version of 4.5 I have received), it just remains in night mode the entire time, as expected.

* is there a consolidated list of official/user reported firmware changes?

My wife made the observation that the white LED 'eyeliner' around the front headlights behavior has changed. It now just dims when then turn light indicator flashes. Her recollection was that it used to completely turn off when the turn light indicator would flash. Don't know if this was a .61 revision or earlier, but the new behavior looks better in her opinion.

It's always dimmed for me. My car came with 4.2.

Not sure if its been mentioned* but the performance of the day/night mode switching has been improved. Previously my display would flip to day mode for a minute or two after exiting my parking garage at night. This no longer happens on .61 (the first version of 4.5 I have received), it just remains in night mode the entire time, as expected.

* is there a consolidated list of official/user reported firmware changes?

I sure hope they did more than just that! I have previously called Tesla when my display just turned black while I was driving directly into the setting sun. Turned out it had switched to night mode and night mode was too dark to see under the conditions. They need to have a dusk / dawn mode too. Then it would switch to the transition mode first and stay there a while before finally switching to night (or day) mode permanently!

Not sure if it was coincidence or not. I was out of town for 5 days. parked the car at the airport. got back to see firmware notice to install. I 'x'd' it. i assume it 4.5, probably .61 variant. im not in dire need of the 4.5 feature set yet. want to hear more experience of .61 users before committing. it would be my first firmware upgrade since taking delivery on 4/18.

Just curious... How much vampire loss did you see over the five days?

We're also out I town, but my car is at home plugged in. I've been on 4.5 since delivery, so I have it set to 50% -- I've noticed a vampire drain of ~6 miles per day, and it is charging every other night to bump it back up...

Not sure if its been mentioned* but the performance of the day/night mode switching has been improved.

Not for me. I also notice much worse headlight on/off performance on Auto (to the point that I frequently just go to controls and turn them OFF). They otherwise constantly come on and stay on in broad daylight. Didn't have that problem (as much) before .61

I sure hope they did more than just that! I have previously called Tesla when my display just turned black while I was driving directly into the setting sun. Turned out it had switched to night mode and night mode was too dark to see under the conditions. They need to have a dusk / dawn mode too. Then it would switch to the transition mode first and stay there a while before finally switching to night (or day) mode permanently!

If the sun is low in the sky, and you drive into a shaded area it will sometimes switch to night mode. Then when you come back out it stays in night mode and it's hard to see the displays.

I think it would be better if they based the decision on sunrise/sunset times. I have a Garmin GPS that I use in my Roadster (because the JVC GPS sucks) and it's always readable because it switches based on the clock, not on the lighting conditions.

If the sun is low in the sky, and you drive into a shaded area it will sometimes switch to night mode. Then when you come back out it stays in night mode and it's hard to see the displays.

I think it would be better if they based the decision on sunrise/sunset times. I have a Garmin GPS that I use in my Roadster (because the JVC GPS sucks) and it's always readable because it switches based on the clock, not on the lighting conditions.

In this case the sun was just very low, aka right in my eyes, just below the small visor. I agree, a GPS style time based change would be best.

Since .61, I've been unable to pair my iPhone for media playback. It pairs for telephony just fine, but the media bit appears for a few seconds, then vanishes. I've tried deleting the device (and deleting the Tesla from the pair list on the phone), but still no joy. This is (was) a feature I'd use daily. The odd thing is, my wife's phone still pairs for media just fine, so I'm not sure what the root cause could be. We both have the same phone (iPhone 5), and mine still pairs with everything else just fine.

Another new feature is that (twice now) the trunk only opens about 6" before stopping. Pressing the open button resumes the action, but it's a bit strange. Oh, and this weekend I got 2 warnings for the TPMS (my first ever). All tires are a little low at 43psi, which I'll take care of, but I assume if the actual error is TPMS, then it's a sensor issue, rather than just low pressure. In both cases, the warning vanished after a few minutes.

Another new feature is that (twice now) the trunk only opens about 6" before stopping. Pressing the open button resumes the action, but it's a bit strange.
Pete8314, I had a similar problem with the trunk, only it would open all the way and then start beeping and close by itself. The beeping was different than the normal close notification. The solution from Tesla was to get it open and stopped. Then manually move it to the desired location, in my case, not quite all the way open. Then the next time it would stop there when opened automatically. In your case, just manually open it to where you really want it and the try it again! They said it has a memory feature this way! In my case it was sensing that it was overextended and was being told to shut.

Installed .61 from 4.4 - finally! The map is much snappier. This sluggishness was my biggest pet peeve. The map on the main screen also seems to cache more tiles - went to Canada out of cell range and map to scroll without blanking out. No negative so far. Happy customer!

Just curious... How much vampire loss did you see over the five days?

We're also out I town, but my car is at home plugged in. I've been on 4.5 since delivery, so I have it set to 50% -- I've noticed a vampire drain of ~6 miles per day, and it is charging every other night to bump it back up...

Just about that much. Got to airport at 150 on Wed night at 9pm. Left Sunday night (actually Monday morning at 2am) with 122.

- - - Updated - - -

Another new feature is that (twice now) the trunk only opens about 6" before stopping. Pressing the open button resumes the action, but it's a bit strange.
Pete8314, I had a similar problem with the trunk, only it would open all the way and then start beeping and close by itself. The beeping was different than the normal close notification. The solution from Tesla was to get it open and stopped. Then manually move it to the desired location, in my case, not quite all the way open. Then the next time it would stop there when opened automatically. In your case, just manually open it to where you really want it and the try it again! They said it has a memory feature this way! In my case it was sensing that it was overextended and was being told to shut.

Had this issue too (it just started happening by itself). Lowered it by about an inch from all the way open and set that as the memory location. Hasn't happened since.

Since .61, I've been unable to pair my iPhone for media playback. It pairs for telephony just fine, but the media bit appears for a few seconds, then vanishes. I've tried deleting the device (and deleting the Tesla from the pair list on the phone), but still no joy. This is (was) a feature I'd use daily. The odd thing is, my wife's phone still pairs for media just fine, so I'm not sure what the root cause could be. We both have the same phone (iPhone 5), and mine still pairs with everything else just fine.

I had this exact same issue with my iPhone 5 under .54-.59 (my car shipped with .54). After 1-3 days it will stop being able to play media but phone functions work fine. The only way I've found to get it working again is to delete the phone and car from the respective devices, reboot the center console, and re-pair them. In that order. If I reboot before unpairing, or do not reboot it won't work. I just installed .61 tonight, but I'm sad to hear it does not fix the issue.

Since .61, I've been unable to pair my iPhone for media playback. It pairs for telephony just fine, but the media bit appears for a few seconds, then vanishes. I've tried deleting the device (and deleting the Tesla from the pair list on the phone), but still no joy.
Since the 2 updates in the last 3 weeks, I have a similar but different issue. My Samsung GS3 will work with bluetooth for telephony (I don't use the music) and then I'll hang up the conversation and when I go to make another call: My phone is connected, and the bluetooth icon is blue but it will say something on the Tesla screen about bluetooth not responding and when I call from my phone the bluetooth (also showing that it is connected) will not pick up but the phone will simply dial the call and you need to listen via the phone (how old school); this has been fixed with a reboot of the 17" screen.

I've finally got the 4.5 update from 4.4

One annoyance I've noticed is the climate control has gotten worse. The auto setting is useless. Interior was 80 deg according to the app and temp set to 70 deg but the fan on auto was only blowing at 3 or 4. Should have been blowing at 8 or more to cool the cabin. Worked ok in 4.4

I also noticed that when i plug in with charge timing set the charge port indicator is green. Used to be blue until the charging actually started.

I just got .61 a few days ago. Last night, my car did an unintended range charge. From my logs, it looks like it set to range around when I got in the car to go to work yesterday morning, so it seems unlikely that it was from my playing with the REST API earlier (though it is possible).

I've finally got the 4.5 update from 4.4

One annoyance I've noticed is the climate control has gotten worse. The auto setting is useless. Interior was 80 deg according to the app and temp set to 70 deg but the fan on auto was only blowing at 3 or 4. Should have been blowing at 8 or more to cool the cabin. Worked ok in 4.4.
I never had 4.4 (my car was delivered with 4.5) but I also think that in 4.5 the fan is turned down way too aggressively. When first turning the A/C on the fan runs at full speed, but then it goes down to almost nothing BEFORE the target temperature is reached. I end up setting the temperature way low in the car when it is hot outside (and then need to remember to raise it again when it is cool in the morning). Quite frustrating - and this should be something that could easily be fixed.