Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've finally got the 4.5 update from 4.4

I also noticed that when i plug in with charge timing set the charge port indicator is green. Used to be blue until the charging actually started.

This is a feature. This means that the car is drawing power from the grid for whatever it needs in advance of the charging. Usually this is because the climate control is still on (e.g. if you left the driver door open while plugging in). If you close up and watch for a couple minutes, you will see the green change back to blue when the car stops drawing (big) power from the wall.

Thanks for the explanation Vger. I forgot about that new feature.

So when I was playing music on my USB I was able to move to the browse tab and it remembered the folder I was in. I thought to myself that I must have been lucky and didn't get the change where it forgets your folder location ... then I got out of the car and got back in AND poof it forgot the folder location I was in. This wouldn't be so annoying if I knew what folder I was in playing music but when listening to mixes I have no idea what folder I'm currently playing music from. I hope they fix this.

One annoyance I've noticed is the climate control has gotten worse.

I have found poor HVAC performance and wacky interior temperature readings (on the iPhone app) since getting the car. I have to keep mine at 69 degrees to maintain any semblance of comfort. I believe it is a hardware problem that has been addressed on later models with an aspirator for the interior temperature sensor.

I've finally got the 4.5 update from 4.4

One annoyance I've noticed is the climate control has gotten worse. The auto setting is useless. Interior was 80 deg according to the app and temp set to 70 deg but the fan on auto was only blowing at 3 or 4. Should have been blowing at 8 or more to cool the cabin. Worked ok in 4.4

I also noticed that when i plug in with charge timing set the charge port indicator is green. Used to be blue until the charging actually started.

I have also noticed that the auto climate setting is conservative with respect to fan speed. That's the one control I tend to override.

The green indicator instead of the blue is caused by the new battery saver feature in 4.5. The car will use shore power for HVAC, etc, rather than drain the battery. Since the contractors are closed and current is flowing, the ring shows green.

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I just got .61 a few days ago. Last night, my car did an unintended range charge. From my logs, it looks like it set to range around when I got in the car to go to work yesterday morning, so it seems unlikely that it was from my playing with the REST API earlier (though it is possible).

I know one person who has never ranged charged and would be a bit upset if this happened to him...cough cough Brianman

I know one person who has never ranged charged and would be a bit upset if this happened to him...cough cough Brianman

I've never done a Range Charge in over 9,000 miles either. I just can't bring myself to do it (and more importantly, have not yet had the need).

One thing I did discover after the .61 update is that while my car remembered the Charge Timer settings for my home, it did not remember the Charge Amps that I also had saved for that location. Glad I caught that as I have a specific need to charge at a level below the UMC's 40 amp maximum.

So it will not draw shore power outside of timed charges or it will.

It absolutely will draw shore power prior to the scheduled charging time. I have seen it happen multiple times. Both the ring on the charge port and the string of LEDs on the UMC glow when this happens. This is exactly the point of the feature-- to power the car from grid whenever possible, to preserve the battery charge.

I would not worry about TOU. Most of the time, prior to charging, the car is only drawing 0.1 to 0.2kW, compared with 5 to 20kW during charging.

I've never done a Range Charge in over 9,000 miles either. I just can't bring myself to do it (and more importantly, have not yet had the need).

I've done a bunch of road trips, and have Range charged each time. A few hours at high SOC has such an unmeasurably tiny impact that it isn't even worth thinking about. That small bit of extra charge comes in real handy when you're low. It also means your first (possibly only) charging stop will be that much shorter. In the summer, it's enough to allow me to drive (carefully) from Ottawa to Scarborough without stopping.

I do think it's always a good idea to always check your settings after downloading a firmware upgrade.

I've done a bunch of road trips, and have Range charged each time. A few hours at high SOC has such an unmeasurably tiny impact that it isn't even worth thinking about.

I agree. It's really just that it hasn't been necessary for any trip I've taken... yet, so I don't see the point of Range Charging "just for the heck of it". When I need to, I will (probably :smile:)

- - - Updated - - -

It absolutely will draw shore power prior to the scheduled charging time.

I have seen it too, but only if I've proactively done something like turn on the HVAC via the mobile app or open the car and get in while it's connected to shore power. I left it for about two weeks while I was at TESLIVE/California vacation and only saw it draw power every other day when it topped up the charge (at the scheduled time as set on the touchscreen). I have a dedicated energy monitor on the EV charging circuit.

I have found poor HVAC performance and wacky interior temperature readings (on the iPhone app) since getting the car. I have to keep mine at 69 degrees to maintain any semblance of comfort. I believe it is a hardware problem that has been addressed on later models with an aspirator for the interior temperature sensor.

Interesting link, I don't have the aspirator, and the air is always set at 68f. And trust me, if it actually was 68f, we'd probably all be hearing about it from my wife by now, so it's clearly inaccurate. I've also noticed on .59 and .61 that after getting in the car and driving off (normally having pre-cooled), that the AC seems to quit for about 20 seconds...the fan stays the same, but you can feel a sudden burst of unconditioned air before it stabilizes again.

Thanks for everyone's input, I just do not want to use shore power outside of the off peak tou it could get expensive. If the draw is minimal it is not a problem. If I turn off the climate control every time I plug in will that help minimize the shore power draw?
I've not seen anything on the actual non-charge draw. I've seen several speculations that it's in 5-10 Watt range but is suspect that presumes no climate control. I'm willing to believe it's small however it would be nice to hear about actual measurements.

Since installing .61 >90% of the time I have to push on the door handle 3 times to get them to extend/unlock. Prior to .61 I never had this issue. It doesn't matter which handle I push on. I've seen a variety of handle problems here - handles extending randomly, getting stuck open and closed, opening out of sync, but not a report of this issue by anyone else. Am I missing it or am I the only one?

I've not seen anything on the actual non-charge draw. I've seen several speculations that it's in 5-10 Watt range but is suspect that presumes no climate control. I'm willing to believe it's small however it would be nice to hear about actual measurements.

I have a dedicated energy monitor on my EV circuit. I see absolutely no consumption by the car (other than charging according to the time values I set) when the car is sitting plugged in. The exception to this is if I actively do something like get in the car and turn the HVAC on or use the smartphone app to pre-condition the car. If I leave it alone, it draws nothing outside of off-peak periods.

I have a dedicated energy monitor on my EV circuit. I see absolutely no consumption by the car (other than charging according to the time values I set) when the car is sitting plugged in. The exception to this is if I actively do something like get in the car and turn the HVAC on or use the smartphone app to pre-condition the car. If I leave it alone, it draws nothing outside of off-peak periods.

I too have a dedicated monitor on my EV circuit and my observations are the same as mknox's.

Since installing .61 >90% of the time I have to push on the door handle 3 times to get them to extend/unlock. Prior to .61 I never had this issue. It doesn't matter which handle I push on. I've seen a variety of handle problems here - handles extending randomly, getting stuck open and closed, opening out of sync, but not a report of this issue by anyone else. Am I missing it or am I the only one?

Andrew,

I noticed this too yesterday. I VERY rarely use the push-on-handle method to get them to come out (usually using promixity) but I tried yesterday and it took 3 or 4 tries before they came out. I'm on .61 as well.