Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they've changed things. I was originally told that they had to generate a build for each unique configuration. Now maybe that was just in early days... it certainly sounds like a tedious way to do things.

Nevertheless, it's possible that there's a combination of hardware out there - various revisions of various modules - that has a problem they haven't figured out yet.

I believe that this is true. I understand they select beta testers by configurations of their vehicles as they experience different 'bugs' with different configurations when they produce a new generation of firmware. IMO (could be wrong), 5.11 probably fixes a problems with a certain configuration.

Mine was updated to 5.11 when I brought it in for its annual service. Before that I was on 5.9. I'm the type to wait to apply updates until I read here about the effects of them, both intended and unintended, so I would have not done the update if it had been my choice.

On 5.9 I told it to not ask me again about setting a Home location, but it kept asking me every day. Now on 5.11 it hasn't asked that again, so I guess that is one of the things they fixed. I wish it would stop asking me to set up Wifi, but it still asks me that every day with no option to say don't ask me again.

I haven't noticed anything else different. I wish they would tell us what's in these updates. The release notes are the same as for 5.9.

Got my own car back with 5.11, confirmed the airbag icon is new.

Attachments

• WP_20140528_003.jpg
    WP_20140528_003.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,092
I'm new to Model S. When do the software updates go to the cars OTA? I have not seen a notice for 5.11 for mine. Can you ask for the update or check for it like on my MAC or iPhone?
thanks
michael

There's a seemingly random sequence that's generally spread over several weeks. Unless your car is in for service it's best just to sit back and wait, then the only time it gets stressful is when there's some new feature that you're dying to have but which others have received already.

I had my car in the Rockville SC yesterday for the battery shield, and asked for the update. When I picked up the car, I did not notice on the work order that the update had been done, and asked about it. They told me that 5.11 is only for the new cars coming off the line. Based upon what I've read here, I don't think that is accurate. However, since I do not have any major issues with 5.9, I let it go.

I had my car in the Rockville SC yesterday for the battery shield, and asked for the update. When I picked up the car, I did not notice on the work order that the update had been done, and asked about it. They told me that 5.11 is only for the new cars coming off the line. Based upon what I've read here, I don't think that is accurate. However, since I do not have any major issues with 5.9, I let it go.

5.11 is for all vehicles. It is rolling out OTA and is also available through SC install. I have been having issues with my 5.9 install - freezing screen - and they are pushing out a 5.11 build specifically for me this weekend and at the request of my SC. My SC went straight to engineering and got the request approved. I just asked.

I was in for the battery shield this past week & was told they would install 5.11, as I was leaving I was told it was installed but didn't check until I got home...still on 1.51.94 :confused: I am not experiencing any issues so waiting for the OTA update is fine.

Some more complaints about 5.11,
My Center Console crashes regularly now, never had a issue with that in any past firmwares. Charging stopped one night, and everything crashed, and barely got in the vehicle.
My 100% charges have INSTANTLY Changed with the firmware update. 5.9 I was getting 206-209 Rated miles on a charge. Instantly on 5.11 I am barely getting 200. And when it does go higher then 200, within 30 minutes of charging complete, I loose 1-2 % of my battery capacity.
With the advent of 5.9, and again with 5.11, I lost 5-7mph top speed. I was getting 125-127MPH top speeds, I'm now capped at exactly 120mph. Not happy with that either. Though, that one the only real down side I had with 5.9.

Some more complaints about 5.11,
My Center Console crashes regularly now, never had a issue with that in any past firmwares. Charging stopped one night, and everything crashed, and barely got in the vehicle.
My 100% charges have INSTANTLY Changed with the firmware update. 5.9 I was getting 206-209 Rated miles on a charge. Instantly on 5.11 I am barely getting 200. And when it does go higher then 200, within 30 minutes of charging complete, I loose 1-2 % of my battery capacity.
With the advent of 5.9, and again with 5.11, I lost 5-7mph top speed. I was getting 125-127MPH top speeds, I'm now capped at exactly 120mph. Not happy with that either. Though, that one the only real down side I had with 5.9.

Yup, I'm never in a rush to install a new version.