Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be utterly coincidental, but after getting the latest firmware update unplugging the UMC from the car has gotten weird. The first time unplugging after the update, pressing the button on the UMC handle didn't "unlock and eject" (for lack of a better term) like it always has. It would click, the light ring would go to blue, then immediately re-lock and the light would return to green. There was never enough time for me to actually pull the handle out.

After futzing with it for a few minutes, I realized that if I HELD THE BUTTON DOWN, it would unlock and I could pull it out just fine. Same thing happened this morning (second day after the update).

Again, could totally be coincidence and have nothing at all to do with the update but the timing was interesting. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Could be utterly coincidental, but after getting the latest firmware update unplugging the UMC from the car has gotten weird. The first time unplugging after the update, pressing the button on the UMC handle didn't "unlock and eject" (for lack of a better term) like it always has. It would click, the light ring would go to blue, then immediately re-lock and the light would return to green. There was never enough time for me to actually pull the handle out.

After futzing with it for a few minutes, I realized that if I HELD THE BUTTON DOWN, it would unlock and I could pull it out just fine. Same thing happened this morning (second day after the update).

Again, could totally be coincidence and have nothing at all to do with the update but the timing was interesting. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

See the "Tug of War "thread UMC Tug-of-War; Could it be SW Release 5.9 (1.51.109)?)

One change I do notice on v5.11 is support for unicode/Asian characters for the first time. On v5.9, all I saw were boxes for each of the characters.

20140610-IMG_4782.jpg

Unfortunately, the current time and total play time and seek-bar is no displayed on the dash or center screen:

20140610-IMG_4783.jpg
20140610-IMG_4784.jpg

v5.9 broke the seek-bar/play-time feature that was working before that. Also, nothing with Asian characters show up when browsing by album/genre/artist -- Only by folder. When it was just "blocks", it would show up in all views, but under the "#" section at the end of the list. One-step back. half-a-step forward.

It may be coincidental, but I've encountered exactly the same behavior after the update. Aside from that, this update seems like a non-event.

I'm still on 1.51.56 on my car behaves this way, so it's not unique to v5.11.

Also, I believe the charge cover release may work this way as well (hold to open) since it sometimes takes me a dozen or so presses on my HPWC button to open the charge port (regardless of where the handle is positioned).

I still haven't gotten 5.11, but I did get an update to 5.9 earlier this week. I don't remember the release number prior to this update. But right now I have 1.51.101. The release notes were the same (as always), which definitely is frustrating. I sure wish they at least said - minor bug fixes, or something like that, similar to app updates on the iphone. No biggie I guess.

I have had the intermittent problems with bluetooth not connecting (a few times), the bluetooth error that required a reboot (once), the lack of connection from the phone app (several times), totally blank screens where the car just will not wake up (twice), the weirdness of unplugging (several times). But....all just minor inconveniences. I think all/most of these have been since getting 5.9, but can't swear to that.

Today I received 5.11 v1.59.56. Haven't seen anyone report on this version yet. The local SC tells me that I am "one of the first" to get this update. I have been experiencing a lot of connectivity problems that have been intermittent and frustrating. Maps would disappear on my screen. When maps were displayed, sometimes the street names and all traffic information would disappear. Internet radio would go in and out, usually at the same time the maps would disappear. When the maps were completely gone or the street names/traffic information were gone, the phone app would not connect --- neither iOS or Android versions. I noted that the 3G signal strength meter on the center screen would often indicate four or five bars, which implied that the signal was of sufficient strength. And of course, here in the Washington DC metro area, we experienced voice connectivity problems also.

The service center referred all problems to Tesla engineering. After a couple of months of frustration, I contacted Jerome Guillen by email yesterday and received a response within 30 minutes. Several hours later, I received additional emails from the regional service director and Jerome. They informed me that a new version of firmware was being pushed to me that should solve the problems.

As of this post, I have had the new firmware installed for 8 hours and have had the car on the road to run numerous errands; I have not seen the problems reoccur. I realize eight hours is not a sufficient test period, but thought I would share this information with everyone. If you want to read the details of the problems I was experiencing, look for my post in the User Interface section of this forum.

As of this post, I have had the new firmware installed for 8 hours and have had the car on the road to run numerous errands; I have not seen the problems reoccur. I realize eight hours is not a sufficient test period, but thought I would share this information with everyone. If you want to read the details of the problems I was experiencing, look for my post in the User Interface section of this forum.

Same here. I had intermittent freezing under 5.9. SC foreman contacted engineering and had them push 5.11 to my car. It has solved my issues so far.

It's nice to hear about 5.11 actually solving some problems. Up to this point all it seems to have done it create a few new ones.

Just received v5.11 (1.59.56) this morning. I was on v5.9 (1.51.109), in which I've noticed just a few random issues here and there--occasional iPhone app connectivity issues (trying to wake the car but not connecting), and one issue where 3G connectivity would not come back. I'll see if this fixes either of those issues--although I was doing pretty well with my existing version.

Model S owners in the DC Metro area have had a rather longstanding issue with Voice Control not working. Apparently the issue is focused only on the DC area and has something to do with problems on the AT&T/Google end. Tesla came up with a patch that they would send to your car to fix the issue, but as soon as you rebooted the screens or installed a new flavor of firmware, the patch was broken and you had to call your local SC to have the mothership resend the patch.

I am very happy to report that the SC informed that 5.11 (1.59.56) includes a permanent fix for the DC Voice Control issue. I had it installed two days ago and the problem seems to be fixed. I have rebooted the screens a few times and Voice Control still works. Yipee.

just had my annual service done. The loaner had 5.9 still, but the 3G wouldn't connect every other time I used the car.

As for my car, they updated it from an older version of 5.11 to a newer version of 5.11 (1.59.56). Some notable things: The fan now only goes to 10 (the volume still goes to 11). They replaced a mount and all of my whining noises from the motor are gone. They added the A/C sound suppressing material, and it is way better now.

There were a couple of other notable things, but I can't think of them right now.

Model S owners in the DC Metro area have had a rather longstanding issue with Voice Control not working. Apparently the issue is focused only on the DC area and has something to do with problems on the AT&T/Google end. Tesla came up with a patch that they would send to your car to fix the issue, but as soon as you rebooted the screens or installed a new flavor of firmware, the patch was broken and you had to call your local SC to have the mothership resend the patch.

I am very happy to report that the SC informed that 5.11 (1.59.56) includes a permanent fix for the DC Voice Control issue. I had it installed two days ago and the problem seems to be fixed. I have rebooted the screens a few times and Voice Control still works. Yipee.

Why would that area of the country be different from any other? Is the patch to compensate for the D.C. accent or something?

Wow, that's weird. I had given up on voice control long ago. I'm also having the app connect issue. C'mon 5.11..

Why would that area of the country be different from any other? Is the patch to compensate for the D.C. accent or something?
It's an NSA thing. The NSA monitors everyone else's voice commands and conversations but has blocked all possibility that others will be able to monitor theirs by placing jammers to block all communications within 40 miles of its facilities.