Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure when/if you did the math. Sleep mode makes vampire loss negligible (maybe a few miles per day). However, with sleep mode off, loss is closer to 10 miles per day. If you are only losing 2 miles per day with sleep mode off, then there's something very special about your car.

PS, I've never, ever before had a moment's hesitation about taking a new release... but this gives me pause. Think I'll wait until it's fixed and hope I don't get sent 5.12.

Or maybe something wrong with your 12V battery that need recharging a lot. I lose 2km per 12h period. So 4-5 km per 24h. 5km is 3.1mi. I'm not living in a dream, my 80% charge gives me 334.9 km (dash shows 335km, VisibleTesla has more precision than the dash) these days (I charge after work at home at about 6pm) and in the morning the dash always shows 333km. Even worse, VisibleTesla runs 24/7 and is on "stay awake"...

Ok enough numbers in the air. Last night numbers right off VisibleTesla app. It was not exactly 12h as I plugged in later but its a real life example.

Exact numbers, not estimations: 333.5 km (207.2mi) at 22:37 then 331.2 km (205.8mi) at 8:35. Lost 0.23km/h or 0.14mi/h. Translate to 5.25 km (3.4mi) per 24h.

I can live with that, I would certainly worry at 10mi per 24h.

As you can see, VisibleTesla acquired data at about 2min interval (Sleep mode is OFF)

2014-07-21.png

What dot Release of 5.12 do you have? And I'm assuming you have your car sleeping, yet are still not having any connectivity issues from the mobile app/VT?

Don't remember offhand, but it's the first dot release of 5.12 -- it was installed a day after 5.12 was first reported.

i did notice this morning that it was awake when I went out to the car. Its also been losing 2 rated miles while parked unplugged overnight...

Wait, that's how much I lose with sleep mode ON!

I suggest you use VisibleTesla, then on the Graph you can shift / ctrl scroll to zoom on the "Battery Current" trace during overnight period. This is what mine looks like. Basically 0 consumption for 2.5h followed by 2h periodic 12V battery top-off (and maybe other tasks) consuming about 350W. This is where the energy is consumed.

My best guess is that a weaker 12V battery would need more time to charge, thus the increased power consumption (higher "vampire drain").

12V charging.png

- - - Updated - - -

If you happen to be near the car when the higher consumption period starts you actually hear the high voltage battery contactor activates and deactivates at the end. I did wait 15min in the garage the other day to check out. It also explains why you not always hear the contactor when you open the door after leaving the car for a while, on my graph above, the car was already charging the 12V battery when I got to my car to drive, contactor was already closed (activated).

I lose a few miles a day with sleep mode on and without using the app for long periods of time (days, sometimes weeks)... I'm wondering how much sleep mode really saves?
Yeah, same here. I have sleep mode on, and still lose 2 miles per day. Not that I care about 2 miles per day, but if sleep mode isn't doing anything I might as well turn it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure when/if you did the math. Sleep mode makes vampire loss negligible (maybe a few miles per day). However, with sleep mode off, loss is closer to 10 miles per day. If you are only losing 2 miles per day with sleep mode off, then there's something very special about your car.
OK, if it is really 10 miles per day, then sleep mode is doing something. Maybe I'll turn it off next time I know I'm not driving for a couple of days and see what happens.

Firmware 5.12 (1.64.22) I have noticed that if I press the T logo and the picture of my car is on the screen, it no longer shows head lights on or the brake lights coming on from regen or even from pressing the brake pedal. It does show all that when I have the car's picture on the screen by pressing the Charge button or the Controls button. Anyone else notice this?

Firmware 5.12 (1.64.22) I have noticed that if I press the T logo and the picture of my car is on the screen, it no longer shows head lights on or the brake lights coming on from regen or even from pressing the brake pedal. It does show all that when I have the car's picture on the screen by pressing the Charge button or the Controls button. Anyone else notice this?

It's been like that for quite a few versions now.

5.12 was installed last Thursday & the wipers have come on at least 3 times when I wasn't trailing another car & there hasn't been a cloud in the sky, I live in the San Fernando Valley & we don't get too many clouds this time of year, sleeping & waking from sleep are bigger annoyances.

I suggest you use VisibleTesla, then on the Graph you can shift / ctrl scroll to zoom on the "Battery Current" trace during overnight period.

I use my own web-based app that I look at basically every day. It reads fine-grain rated miles from the API and so I can accurately quantify sleep mode losses. I also have a baseline from before the advent of sleep mode. I can assure you that with sleep mode enabled I lose 2-4 miles per day. Twice that for sleep mode off. You must have a very special car if you lose 2 per day with sleep mode off.

I use my own web-based app that I look at basically every day. It reads fine-grain rated miles from the API and so I can accurately quantify sleep mode losses. I also have a baseline from before the advent of sleep mode. I can assure you that with sleep mode enabled I lose 2-4 miles per day. Twice that for sleep mode off. You must have a very special car if you lose 2 per day with sleep mode off.

What about posting a picture? *curious* :wink:

Updated from 5.9 to 5.12 two nights ago. Read this thread yesterday. It now takes three or four attempts to have my iPhone app wake the car.

Am scheduled to go into the Tampa service center next week for the A/C noise fix. I plan to mention this problem.

Lesson learned - read the threads BEFORE accepting updates.

Updated from 5.9 to 5.12 two nights ago. Read this thread yesterday. It now takes three or four attempts to have my iPhone app wake the car.

Am scheduled to go into the Tampa service center next week for the A/C noise fix. I plan to mention this problem.

Lesson learned - read the threads BEFORE accepting updates.
You can also email ownership @ teslamotors.com to report it.

You can also email ownership @ teslamotors.com to report it.

i did so this morning. A couple of hours later I got a call from the Tampa Service Center. Although I already have rebooted the touch pad and the dash display, they suggested that first I reboot my phone, followed by a dash and touchpad reboot in the car. Will try tonight and report the results here.