Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 5.6 yesterday and eagerly tried out the new map that rotates. Here is is a quick summary

- It rotates pointing at your heading which is much more natural than always pointing north as everyone have noted. However, the map seems like always drift rotationally here and there even while driving on straight roads. The drift rotation can be as much as 20 degrees or so. Quite annoying having the maps go these these rotations while driving perfectly straight. Clearly, the map rotation is just reacting to the compass's directional feed.

- Looking at the car's position mark that comes from the GPS, it pretty clear the marker just gets overlayed onto the map and there is no correlation between the marker and the streets. One can see the marker drafting off the street quite often. If the software does what most navigation gps does which is to place the GPS position marker on the "nearest" road, then there would be a lot more hints to reduce the drift rotation mentioned above.

Anyway, would be nice to find a way to get rid of this erroneous rotational drift. Maybe some hysteresis and a bit of speed/rotational momentum would be good enough if correlation with googlemap's street locations are too difficult.

Hmm, that's odd. After months of beta testing I would've thought sleep mode would have been pretty rock solid. Are you sure your key fob isn't within range?
Very odd. This morning when I tested the car was definitely awake. But then I left it alone for a while (still plugged in) and when I just checked it finally went to sleep. Maybe the car noticed how nervous I was about all this and couldn't sleep :sheepishgrin:
Anyway, no idea what changed, but now for the first time see my car sleeping happily. Hopefully that will deal with the vampire drain. I should have better data on that in about 24h :)

Very odd. This morning when I tested the car was definitely awake. But then I left it alone for a while (still plugged in) and when I just checked it finally went to sleep. Maybe the car noticed how nervous I was about all this and couldn't sleep :sheepishgrin:
Anyway, no idea what changed, but now for the first time see my car sleeping happily. Hopefully that will deal with the vampire drain. I should have better data on that in about 24h :)

Out of curiosity, how can you tell she's sleeping now?

Mine is definitely not sleeping. Vampire losses seem higher than with 4.5. It has been cooler outside but the garage is very well insulated... I don't think that's the issue...

It must be one or more of the REST calls in the streaming data collection you are running. Once I get 5.6 I plan to do a full audit of which requests do and don't keep the car awake. It might be possible to use a limited set if the mobile app functions without delaying the sleep mode but we will have to test.

No VIN feeding frenzy please. It's been completely clear over the last year that VINs have nothing to do with sequencing of updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why RTFRN may not be as good as Brian's invisible text!!!

Tesla's firmware update push process (something like a single thread probably ;))

while (1)
{
VIN = rand() * get_num_of_model_s_made(); // Let's be super random about it

if (!is_online(VIN)) // SOL if you're out of coverage area
continue;

if (get_firmware_rev(VIN) == get_latest_release_firmware_rev()) // Hey maybe they already have the latest
continue;

if (download_firmware(VIN) == FAIL) // No retry on fail
continue;

post_to_TMC_forum("Hey I'm lucky VIN number " << VIN << ", why haven't you gotten the update yet???", get_random_user_login());
}

It must be one or more of the REST calls in the streaming data collection you are running. Once I get 5.6 I plan to do a full audit of which requests do and don't keep the car awake. It might be possible to use a limited set if the mobile app functions without delaying the sleep mode but we will have to test.

That's why I love having "trailblazers" like you, and others who have generously posted their experiences, test this out before I get the alarm bell.

Any one know what the difference is between 1.45.36 and 1.45.45
Is it just EU and US ore are there other changes
As I started on 5.0 and upgraded to 5.6 shortly after I have no real reference point
Has any in outside North America gotten 1.45.45 ?

I have heard... let's say I read somewhere on the internet... that Tesla is not rolling out 1.45.45 in Europe as they first want to fix the three phase charging current limitation that's in 5.6...

Even with the 2x setting the street names and traffic lines are still much smaller than with the 4.5 maps. They need to either fix this or add a 3x and 4x option in the settings screen. I have perfect vision and it is too small to glance over and read while driving.

+1 The bolding of the traffic lines also see thinner than before. The colors of the traffic lines seem duller than before. In 4.5 they were a brighter green yellow and red. Is it just me? Overall I like the update though. Looking forward to checking how well sleep works.

Ok, I've figured out a few things. If you zoom in to a level where you can see every street, the font for the names and the traffic lines are very small and hard to read. If you zoom out slowly until you get to the point where it only shows major streets show then the font and traffic lines are much larger and easier to read.

Tonight I had a strange problem where the media player crashed. It disappeared from the binnacle screen and on the center screen it would keep flipping through songs but not play anything. A reboot of the center screen fixed the issue.

My experience with 5.6. The sleep mode works well and I lose only 1 mile over 8-10 hour period (garage kept, Temp 50-70). In the sleep mode the car occasionally wakes up to check the 12V battery. At those times the phone app connects in 10-15 seconds. While in the 'deep sleep' mode (usually after no contact within 15 minutes) it takes 45-60 seconds to connect. New awake' mode, the app connects consistently within 10-15 seconds.
I have not had any problems with screen freeze increase. WiFi works great and mapping and clean screen modes much appreciated.

Upgraded to 5.6 yesterday. Charging for the first time with the new software. I have an HPWC and use scheduled charging. I set the car for 80A to test the "no longer have to override >60A each time" feature.

Problem: car is charging now. The app won't connect. It goes through the contacting car sequence as if the car is asleep but never connects. The car is charging; I have current meters on the circuit and I'm drawing 24kW in my garage (the volt is charging too.)

Anyone else have problems connecting while the car is charging? Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever tested connecting to the car in the garage while it's using WiFi. I do have a firewall on my net connection. I'll have to see if I'm blocking packets..

A

Edit: Couldn't sleep so I checked. Sure enough, the firewall was blocking the MS. It appears Tesla communicates using UDP/1194. Opened that up and the app connected immediately. In fact, it's faster than before. My guess is the car registers it's IP address with Tesla. The app then connects to a well known name/address at Tesla on the Internet and discovered it could reach the car on a local (RFC 1918) address. The app then communicates directly with the car. The car is happily charging at 56mi/hr, 234V@79A.

Last edited:
My guess is the car registers it's IP address with Tesla. The app then connects to a well known name/address at Tesla on the Internet and discovered it could reach the car on a local (RFC 1918) address. The app then communicates directly with the car.
It would be great if it did that, but my guess is that it doesn't connect on the local network. The app communicates with the Tesla servers and obtains an authentication token. It's highly unlikely that it does that directly with the car.

It would be great if it did that, but my guess is that it doesn't connect on the local network. The app communicates with the Tesla servers and obtains an authentication token. It's highly unlikely that it does that directly with the car.

Yeah, I realized after my post that visualtesla etc are all using the Internet based API to get data. So you're right, it's not redirecting to the car and communicating directly. It's probably slightly faster because the car is on wifi and not 3G.