Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish we could "ask for the update".....

Yea, this. Something like you can go to siriusxm.com and ask for the reactivation signal for your xm radio. if you could use the app to "check for update and then download" that would be nice. That way those of us who are anal retentive about these things could get them..normal people would just get it whenever it happens to download.

How many people out there are still stuck on 4.5? I am still on 4.5, and during my install a few months back it completed with an error or warning, saying it would try again later. It never did try again as far as I know, and I am wondering if some flag has been flipped that is preventing me from getting never versions.

just got got my update today but was stuck on 4.5 for a while.

Still on 4.5. But I may have been the last person that got 4.5. So, I was just about expecting the same for 5.6. Though the order doesn't seem to be the same necessarily.

In for tire repair (nail, slow leak), and they updated my OS.

As others have stated already...
The heads up nav is way better, better traffic identification, and very fluid as it turns with you.

They changed the radio tuning dial UI a bit. Like the side buttons better, a bit cleaner... but the dial itself is a too simple. Needs a little more graphic love with the next UI updates.

Car goes into a deeper sleep after a couple of hours (not sure how long this is), so just need to wait about 3-5 seconds while it wakes up.

90% charge appears to be a couple miles less than before, but also seems to be more stable/accurate in the rated miles shown.

Just happen to have my service appointment two days ago and asked for a firmware 5.6 upgrade and they gave it to me no problem.

One thing people can do is just call your local service center and see if they can perform a one off update for you. I read in the new release notes that all cars have a built in access point to the service center's network for future upgrades. Worth a try.

My 2 cents on 5.6.

1. Biggest pro by far is the increased supercharger speed. This isn't in the release notes and I think has been overlooked. I have a 60kwh and was getting 80kw/hr charging (266mi/hr, 236amps, 324v) today at Fremont. It used to be capped around 65kw/hr
2. Maps are awesome now. It rotates really well and street names rotates with it. Compass works really well. Love the updated traffic indicators. There are little red or yellow blocks now instead of a wide long bar. Caching of the maps is pretty cool and feels quite snappy now. And now when you use voice navigation search by address, it goes straight into navigation mode. Nice!
3. Energy saving mode works as advertised for me. I left my car unplugged last two nights and lost only 1 mile with about 12hrs of idle time each time. Haven't tried charging at home yet though. You can tell your car is asleep if you jump into the car right away and you see the big Tesla logo on your front dash. It takes about 10secs for the car to boot up from sleep and you're ready to go.
4. Wifi is nice and works well. It's nice to join the Fremont delivery center wifi while you're supercharging. Browser still sucks though. Can't wait for Chrome. Looks like it doesn't connect to WPA2 Enterprise networks though.
5. Updated rated charge is actually better for me. I supercharged to 90% today and got my rating back up to 176 miles instead of the 171 miles I was getting on FW 4.5.
6. Updated creep setting resolved the problem of the car twitching when the brake isn't fully engaged at a stop.
7. Noticed some updated font and alignment in the song and album titles in the media player and it also shows your battery trim (60, 85, P85) on the front dash when your car is "off"

We're getting spoiled with these enhancements. Can't wait for the next one and very grateful for every one of these features.

That's surprising; seems like something they would probably list in the release notes (general consensus up to now was all Model S firmware releases did not auto-route around or account for traffic)
The turn-by-turn navigation is Navigon software based, whereas the Google maps / Google traffic data is a separate entity. Navigon already has a traffic database feature that can route you around traffic... not sure if they activated that feature or did something else proprietary.

Just to clarify... It appeared to do the initial routing and take traffic into account. Did not observe any re-routing.

One thing people can do is just call your local service center and see if they can perform a one off update for you. I read in the new release notes that all cars have a built in access point to the service center's network for future upgrades. Worth a try.

But remember that service centers are busy working already and ~20,000 cars spread among ~35 centers would mean ~500 cars per service center. Nobody should get upset if their service center declines individual requests.

(And, no, I don't have the update yet..... ;-))

Hmm..I recently got 5.6, have energy saving mode on but my car doesn't appear to be going into sleep mode. I'll test a couple of things that could be preventing this and see if I can get it to sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Just upgraded!

Two things I've noticed that I've not seen mentioned:

1) The maps are MUCH more responsive now. scrolling, zooming, toggling traffic is far faster and more responsive than 4.5. Dramatic.

2) The about screen has a different image of the car and no longer responds to the doors opening and charge port status. Very sad. That was always a crown pleaser.
I just checked, if you pull up the charging screen it will respond showing doors open, brake lights. I didn't try charge port but I assume that will also display. Pretty cool that you've been showing off your MS to royalty! #gottaloveautocorrect

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383917270.362695.jpg

Finally! Looks like maybe there was a new surge of downloads last night.

4. Wifi is nice and works well. It's nice to join the Fremont delivery center wifi while you're supercharging. Browser still sucks though. Can't wait for Chrome. Looks like it doesn't connect to WPA2 Enterprise networks though.

Regarding WPA2 (aka really long passwords)...
I thought this was going to be an issue too, as I tried entering my password for this several times with no luck. It's really an issue of how fast you can enter those really long passwords, before the software drops you out of entry mode on that field. Finally got it on the fifth try.

Tesla needs to fix, or remove, time sensitive entry for this, as I believe most people will not be quick enough to get their codes entered.

Should there be support for Copy-Paste now? One could pull up the code in an email on the browser and paste it in. My WPA2 password is 26 characters long! I remember suffering when the then-iPhone OS didn't have copy-paste!

Still no luck with an update notification. I do have weak AT&T coverage - the car shows one bar - at my home (haven't had OTA updates since I moved house in June). May have to grudgingly go to the Burlingame service center.

Here's the data I've collected so far but sadly the sleep mode doesn't seem to be as effective on my car as others have posted or that I experienced with my recent loaner car:

DateTimeTime DifferenceDescriptionRated MilesRated Miles Differencetemp in F
11/4/20138:30:00 AM
Arriving122
11/4/201312:05:00 PM3:35:00leaving120-242
11/5/20139:00:00 AM
arriving120
11/5/20133:25:00 PM6:25:00leaving117-358
11/6/20138:50:00 AM
arriving136
11/6/20133:15:00 PM6:25:00leaving133-368
11/7/20138:50:00 AM
arriving136
11/7/20132:00:00 PM5:10:00leaving132-456
11/8/20138:51:00 AM
arriving reset screen no usb117

And yes I have sleep mode turned on and have seen the car need a little bit of time to boot up. All the data I collected and posted is of the car sitting in an open parking lot at work.

Last edited:
Got 5.6 yesterday (11/6/13) as well. Parked here at work with 128 mile of range left. We'll see what it says when I jump in to go home this evening after ~10hrs...

Well, it actually ended up being 11 hours parked at work yesterday in mid-50's weather, and when I got back in, I was down to 124.

Interestingly, about an hour after I had parked it in the morning with 128 miles left on the pack, I decided to test the speed of connectivity of the remote app. As expected it took about 45 seconds to connect, but the interesting thing was that in that 1 hour, I had already lost 3 miles of range... as I was down to 125. After that I lost only 1 mile in the next 10 hours...

Given the lag I saw with the remote, it appears the car DID hibernate. I also can confirm the dash had to boot up when I got in to drive home at the end of the day.

I was rather hoping I would have only lost a mile or so...

Still no luck with an update notification. I do have weak AT&T coverage - the car shows one bar - at my home (haven't had OTA updates since I moved house in June). May have to grudgingly go to the Burlingame service center.

I only have 1 bar in my garage as well. My car downloaded the update and notified me of the update after I spent 45 minutes inside a Best Buy. I was not plugged in. So it should download the update while you are parked even if you aren't charging while you are away from home with better signal.

I only have 1 bar in my garage as well. My car downloaded the update and notified me of the update after I spent 45 minutes inside a Best Buy. I was not plugged in. So it should download the update while you are parked even if you aren't charging while you are away from home with better signal.

Thanks, Denarius. Hoping for that to happen at my workplace where the company has installed AT&T signal boosters recently and I see pretty much a full signal. I just haven't been lucky with the VIN update roulette thus far, I guess.