Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked with the folks at Tesla the other day and I've been told that the rollout is automated and should be completed in the next week or so via OTA.

Take this with a grain of salt; we've been told things by folks at Tesla before.

Still nothing for me...on 4.5 Vin 7007 Their "week" is longer than mine...kind of like "Fall 2013" with superchargers :smile:

The car != people. The car reads it. You just listen to it.

Ok, got it. Well, that's a little better. Thanks for the correction. I assume/hope the car also does not flash out the text msg somewhere on the touchscreen. Still, how long until we have our first MS accident where the driver was distracted when the car started sua sponte reading text messages to them when they were approaching an intersection and then ran a red light?

I just noticed this morning that with my 5.6 update I am not able to put the energy display on the right side of the speedo anymore. Is it just me or has that option been removed in 5.6? I don't remember how I got it the energy display there in the first place. I did a little searching on the site and didn't find this discussed, so please point me to a thread if I missed it...

Hold down the right steering wheel roller for 2 seconds. It will bring up a list of what you can display. Same thing works in the left side. I'm able to out it on either side no problem.

As an added benefit to 5.6, Siri now speaks to me and listens through the car. I don't know if this was the case with 4.5. On 5.0, Siri would only work on the phone itself.

I haven't tried Siri since 4.5, but I was able to talk to Siri via Bluetooth audio. I had to activate it from the iPhone by holding down the home button. Has any of that changed? I'll try on my way home from work this evening.

Figured I give Tesla Service Center Fremont another call requesting to push the 5.6 update to my car today, and this time the person who talked me told me they don't do those requests, nor do they allow owners to go to the service centers to get their update pushed, and that everything said at Tesla Motors Club are rumors and unreliable (not his words, but that's the message I got from him). He even went ahead and told me that the representative I spoke to yesterday who informed me they push updates by VIN and by installed version, e.g., 5.0 gets dibs, was wrong. So either all of you guys are lying and still using 4.5 or this guy is also sadly misinformed.

Figured I give Tesla Service Center Fremont another call requesting to push the 5.6 update to my car today, and this time the person who talked me told me they don't do those requests, nor do they allow owners to go to the service centers to get their update pushed, and that everything said at Tesla Motors Club are rumors and unreliable (not his words, but that's the message I got from him). He even went ahead and told me that the representative I spoke to yesterday who informed me they push updates by VIN and by installed version, e.g., 5.0 gets dibs, was wrong. So either all of you guys are lying and still using 4.5 or this guy is also sadly misinformed.

Officially, Tesla can't do that and service personnel shouldn't make that offer. Otherwise the service centers will be inundated with people stopping by to get an update.
As for the forum, this is not an official, or even unofficial Tesla Motors source. It is a group of enthusiasts, nothing more. Everything said here is second hand information and is exactly what that employee said, rumors.
Now, sometimes rumors are correct, sometimes they are not...

Did read this in release notes - I just got 5.6 yesterday and noticed that car now reads the text messages. I have the option either to skip it or read it. Pretty cool feature!!

Do you have a Windows Phone by any chance? I thought for the longest time that my BMW was reading my texts aloud for me, giving me the option to either read or ignore them, but when I got my Tesla, it was still reading them and with the same voice. It turns out it was a feature of my Windows Phone when using bluetooth audio.

Looks like I'm still experiencing range loss while the car is sleeping -- and at a higher rate than I did with 4.5 (which would lose ~7-8 miles per day, and averaged 7.2 miles lost per day the one time it was parked for a week at the airport).

On 5.6, I noticed it was losing ~3 miles while parked at work -- similar to 4.5. But I didn't take any specific notes on it until yesterday/this morning. We returned from an overnight road trip around 1:30pm yesterday and the car had 40 miles remaining rated range shown. I had it charge to 75% overnight, and I checked it just before 7am -- the dash showed 141 rated miles, and the charging screen showed it had added 107 miles of range... so 40+107-141=6 miles lost in approx 17.5 hours. If that loss holds, I'm now losing ~10 miles of range per day on 5.6. With the holiday today, I don't think I'll drive it, so will monitor it at ~1:30pm today and again tomorrow morning.

The car appears to be going to sleep since I see the dash doing its ~11 second wake up, and Visual Tesla gives me the sleep warning if I open that app while the car is sleeping. I did try rebooting both screens when we returned from the trip yesterday.

Quick update... I checked the car around noon on Monday, and it still showed 141 rated miles. Checked again at 6:30am, and it was at 139. Sleep does appear to be working now -- but I'll continue to monitor...

Since I got 5.6 I am now losing around 15 miles while parked at work for 10 hours which is about double what it was before. In addition to that when the car does wake up Bluetooth, WiFi, and voice commands don't work. Usually takes a reboot to clear that up but today it took 10 reboots (I kept trying on my drive home since I needed the Bluetooth). Something just doesn't seem to be waking up correctly from sleep so I'm just going to turn it off for now, isn't doing any good anyway. Feels like this code release has some kind of corner case that they did not test out and there are still some bugs.

Since I got 5.6 I am now losing around 15 miles while parked at work for 10 hours which is about double what it was before. In addition to that when the car does wake up Bluetooth, WiFi, and voice commands don't work. Usually takes a reboot to clear that up but today it took 10 reboots (I kept trying on my drive home since I needed the Bluetooth). Something just doesn't seem to be waking up correctly from sleep so I'm just going to turn it off for now, isn't doing any good anyway. Feels like this code release has some kind of corner case that they did not test out and there are still some bugs.

I'd stop by the SC and have them look at it.. If none are close by, call ownership and let them check it remotely.

I'd stop by the SC and have them look at it.. If none are close by, call ownership and let them check it remotely.

I'll deal with it when I get a chance. Fact of the matter is that having to go to the service center for them to fix a remote update completely defeats the purpose of a remote update. Tesla needs to do a better job at testing these things before they push them out. Given that I am not the only one having issues with this software by the looks of this thread something was missed in the testing phase.

Edit:
I have emailed ownership to let them know of the issues I have been seeing.

Last edited:
I'll deal with it when I get a chance. Fact of the matter is that having to go to the service center for them to fix a remote update completely defeats the purpose of a remote update. Tesla needs to do a better job at testing these things before they push them out. Given that I am not the only one having issues with this software by the looks of this thread something was missed in the testing phase.

Edit:
I have emailed ownership to let them know of the issues I have been seeing.
Good idea, the other good thing about remote update is that they may be able to diagnose and fix the issue remotely, too. I hope that's the case!

Good idea, the other good thing about remote update is that they may be able to diagnose and fix the issue remotely, too. I hope that's the case!

I trust that they will fix it. Hopefully they can pull logs from my car that will help them pin down the problem so they can push out an update before anyone else has similar problems. For me I can live with it for now if turning off the "Energy Saving" mode keeps everything else working. I'm more irritated by the fact that this mode to stop vampire drain breaks other stuff and to top it off doesn't even work!

Feels like this code release has some kind of corner case that they did not test out and there are still some bugs.

Well, to be fair, Tesla beta tested this release for several months. In fact, I would have argued for less testing and rolling it out sooner. Just because 1 car out of a 1000 is going to have a problem should not bar them from rolling it out. Even after hearing of your problems I still absolutely want 5.6 whether it contains bugs or not. Obviously I think Tesla needs to look at your case and figure out what's going on. But I disagree with your assessment that more beta testing is needed.