Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have .4 and last night, for the fun of it, I plugged into the chargepoint at the PCC in Edmonds WA, using the J1772 adapter. the car attempted to run up to 40A and then shot down to 7A with an alert popping up on the dash to the effect of: either you have plugged into an extension cord or there is faulty wiring. I called Chargepoint and let them know there may be a problem with their plug or Tesla's latest software iteration has resulted in the car being hyper sensitive. the J1772 plug is a bit on the old and worn side so chargepoint is likely going to replace it. I also contacted Tesla after hours and reported the issue. The Tesla guy I talked to by phone said there have been several such reports on various home and public chargers and it's being looked into. I would hope this new update is revealing real issues and not causing unnecessary reductions in charging speed. If these are real, then "yay" lets get the wiring/plugs brought up to par!

I have a Chargepoint Station and that's my primary charging source .... no issues with the new software.

Got the update. Plugged in at home 15/50 plug (stove) always set it at 40 amps, looked and it was charging at 30 amps. Brand new wiring and plug. I do have solar on my roof and my daily voltage goes from 239-264 depending on sunshine/grid/charging. I trust they will get this worked out. I need to know when I plan a charge for morning it hasn't backed off to 30 amps. I'd rather have my breaker pop then not be full for trips away. Ps I jumped into the car and turned it back up to 40 amps and it stayed there for the rest of the charge. No warnings in the car. :) maybe just a default after the install?

Got the update. Plugged in at home 15/50 plug (stove) always set it at 40 amps, looked and it was charging at 30 amps. Brand new wiring and plug. I do have solar on my roof and my daily voltage goes from 239-264 depending on sunshine/grid/charging. I trust they will get this worked out. I need to know when I plan a charge for morning it hasn't backed off to 30 amps. I'd rather have my breaker pop then not be full for trips away. Ps I jumped into the car and turned it back up to 40 amps and it stayed there for the rest of the charge. No warnings in the car. :) maybe just a default after the install?
That is what I suspect as well. At first I charged from my app and could only get 30. When I went into the car I saw that it was set at 30. Increased it to 40 and it happily charged away. But I am thinking of putting a dual sensor smoke alarm in the garage just in case.

Okay, I have good news. As you can see, I'm getting only 197V, but the car did NOT back off the charging current. So having low voltage alone doesn't trigger it.

Img_2368.png

The solar won't effect it. Solar actually raises your voltage by a hair.

The wire that they used to run the circuit could be too small. If voltage drop calcs were not done that could be causing it. If you let me know how long your wire run is I can let you know if it's the right size wire.

I have .4 and last night, for the fun of it, I plugged into the chargepoint at the PCC in Edmonds WA, using the J1772 adapter. the car attempted to run up to 40A and then shot down to 7A with an alert popping up on the dash to the effect of: either you have plugged into an extension cord or there is faulty wiring.

100thMonkey, just to be clear: can the car detect if an extension cord is being used, even a good quality cord properly designed for the amperage being pulled? Or is that warning designed to alert the owner that there is higher than normal resistance in the charging circuit and a possible explanation is a poor quality extension cord?

No, it can't tell that.

The car would be able to tell if the wires are heating up or are of inadequate size because as they hear up the voltage will drop and continue dropping. It could then be programmed to display this message.

For the 15-50 circuits if the circuit length is 50ft or less #8 copper will work. Longer than this requires #6 up to 150'. I didn't look at longer lengths because I felt longer than 150 would not be that common.

Because of what the circuit is being used for and the high frequency of use I opted for the larger wire size so we are not using electricity to heat the wires. I ran #6 for mine despite my mains panel being 6' from our 15-50 outlet.

Something else you will want to watch for if you have a detached garage or your outlet is being fed from a sub panel is that the wire size between the main panel and the sub is adequate.

Faulty circuit breakers can also lead to fluctuations that would cause the charge rate to be reduced.

I think we are going to see a lot of J1772 chargers that will have reduced charge rates because of cheap installation work and inadequate wire sizing.

Either way it sucks to have a reduced charging rate but at the same time it's going to force the quality of the outlets we use to be held to higher standards.

I suspect we will see reduced rates at campgrounds too. In our area a lot of campgrounds installed electric 30-40 years ago, and it was Jim & Bob from down the road that weren't afraid of electricity that did the work and didn't have to pull a permit or just plain ignored it.

I suspect we will see reduced rates at campgrounds too. In our area a lot of campgrounds installed electric 30-40 years ago, and it was Jim & Bob from down the road that weren't afraid of electricity that did the work and didn't have to pull a permit or just plain ignored it.

I always reduce the current a bit at RV parks. Most can't really do 40 amps. Just a few amps lower doesn't really take that much longer and saves you from going to a different spot.

One thing I've noticed in the 5.x series...

As of 5.6, super chargers were no longer added to my visited chargers list. I had one SC I visited under 4.5 listed, but a new one I visited days after upgrading to 5.6 wasn't added.

As of 5.8.4, the one SC I did have listed on my visited list was removed. Now SC locations are only seen on the SC list and no longer show up on your visited chargers list at all.

No big deal really, but it was fun collecting them. :)

One thing I've noticed in the 5.x series...

As of 5.6, super chargers were no longer added to my visited chargers list. I had one SC I visited under 4.5 listed, but a new one I visited days after upgrading to 5.6 wasn't added.

As of 5.8.4, the one SC I did have listed on my visited list was removed. Now SC locations are only seen on the SC list and no longer show up on your visited chargers list at all.

No big deal really, but it was fun collecting them. :)

When are we going to get the option to remove visited chargers?

For the 15-50 circuits if the circuit length is 50ft or less #8 copper will work. Longer than this requires #6 up to 150'. I didn't look at longer lengths because I felt longer than 150 would not be that common.

Because of what the circuit is being used for and the high frequency of use I opted for the larger wire size so we are not using electricity to heat the wires. I ran #6 for mine despite my mains panel being 6' from our 15-50 outlet.

I used #6 wire on a 6 foot run. Good idea.

Seems like something a screen reboot would probably fix...

Nothing to fix... Just a confirmed change in behavior I've not seen mentioned yet.

When are we going to get the option to remove visited chargers?

I agree! I put in a feature request a long time ago for this. I have several locations duplicated with the same address. I presume because the GPS coords were different enough for Tesla to list them twice, but the reverse geocoding comes up with the same address. Being able to delete them like you can on the recent nav screen would be ideal.

I'm in the same boat... charging/functionality surprises, or worse yet a bricked car(not that such things are common) while hundreds of miles from home are no fun...

Well, I got back from my road trip tonight and installed the upgrade.

After it finished I started a charging session just to see if I saw any charge-current reduction as others have reported. The car reported my line voltage as ~245 volts with no load. Once it ramped up to 40 amps, my voltage drops to about 235, but doesn't fluctuate significantly. This is about normal for my house. The car continued charging at 40A without issue.

It really creeps me out that there's a loaner car out there with a red dot showing where my house is.

After driving my first loaner, I reported this problem to Ownership. Other cars typically have a "clear personal data" command in the user interface - not available (yet) with the Model S. Ownership indicated the Service Centers can clear this data on the loaners - so if you see one that hasn't been cleared when you get it - when you bring the loaner back to the Service Center - ask them to clear the data, if you don't want your home location to show up on the charging station list for subsequent drivers.

Hopefully this is on Tesla's "to do" list for the software...