Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting.... I noticed that all my settings had been switched to Metric after the update and had to change them back...

Yes, but you're in Canada right? Still, it shouldn't reset something the user set.

Um, why wouldn't you want the settings to be in Metric anyways?

There are a few other things they "reset" in this release. Like Dolby Surround gets turned off.

One improvement in 5.8 that isn't documented is the improved rear camera performance. I think Tesla tweaked the contrast ratio and did something to improve the performance of the camera when water gets on it. Before our camera was worthless when water was on it, now it is actually usable. Here is a picture of how it performs now in the rain.
IMG_7192.JPG

Another change in 5.8 (not sure folks had seen it in 5.0/5.6) from 4.5 is the look of the media player. The changes are more pronounced in the FM/AM mode than in Slacker. iOS 7-like flat look overall but, the big buttons have more reflections and gradients:

una6e7uq.jpg

On the other hand, Slacker's song skip/pause/play functions appear, atleast to my son and I, to have become a bit laggy. There's a half-second delay at times between when the button state is changed - say from play to pause - to when the audio is actually affected.

One improvement in 5.8 that isn't documented is the improved rear camera performance. I think Tesla tweaked the contrast ratio and did something to improve the performance of the camera when water gets on it. Before our camera was worthless when water was on it, now it is actually usable. Here is a picture of how it performs now in the rain. View attachment 35849

that has nothing to do with any tweaks on contrast ratio but rather how much water and fog is on the lens. you have less of that now apparently.

Very happy this morning. Only lost 1 mile overnight with 5.8. Did not wake the car up at all, and when I went out it only took a few seconds for the center screen to wake up and be ready to drive.

Interesting as my center screen was on instantly this morning but It took a few seconds for the instrument screen to wake up. I lost 5 miles overnight on 5.8. P85. Wondering why there is different behavior regarding screen wake up sequence

Lost only 3 miles overnight with 5.8 when compared to 10-11 with 4.5. Very happy to get rid of the vampires.

Seems like sleep still results in some variation -- here's mine: I didn't drive anywhere yesterday and the car lost 5 miles in ~22 hours after yesterday morning's upgrade to 5.8. Will see what happens while parked at work today.

On 5.6, sleep mode seemed to work sometimes and not work at other times. For example, I had 5.6 for 11 days -- and when parked at the work during the day, I'd notice anywhere from 0 to 4 miles lost in ~8 hours. 4.5 was almost always 3 miles lost while at work (in line with the 7-8 per day I experienced on 4.5)...

Interesting as my center screen was on instantly this morning but It took a few seconds for the instrument screen to wake up. I lost 5 miles overnight on 5.8. P85. Wondering why there is different behavior regarding screen wake up sequence

You are right, the center was instant and it was the instrument that took a few seconds. I know what I meant, but that's not what I typed.

In the new Nav, is there a way to revert to the behavior where a search list is returned after searching for something? I notice that here in Mountain View, when I search for "Peets" for instance, it'll auto-navigate to one in San Francisco instead of the nearest one.

I can push the refresh button and get a list but I'd rather the default behavior be that I can select which destination to go to....

Seems like sleep still results in some variation -- here's mine: I didn't drive anywhere yesterday and the car lost 5 miles in ~22 hours after yesterday morning's upgrade to 5.8. Will see what happens while parked at work today.

On 5.6, sleep mode seemed to work sometimes and not work at other times. For example, I had 5.6 for 11 days -- and when parked at the work during the day, I'd notice anywhere from 0 to 4 miles lost in ~8 hours. 4.5 was almost always 3 miles lost while at work (in line with the 7-8 per day I experienced on 4.5)...

I lost 4 miles overnight and it was in the high 30's last night. 4 seems to be my normal now.

Yes, but you're in Canada right? Still, it shouldn't reset something the user set.

Um, why wouldn't you want the settings to be in Metric anyways?

It never re-set the Units before, and I thought it was interesting in the context of another owner who suspects the auto lowering suspension may occur at higher speeds due to a possible US/Metric mixup.

I grew up with miles and gallons and never really agreed with the gov't ramming in the metric system against the majority's will (at the time). This occurred just a few years after the gov't changed Canada's flag, pissing off many WWII veterans who'd fought under the original Canadian flag. I'm not fond of "government knows best", and figure while we still have some freedoms left, I can keep my car's displays in the units I prefer.

I noticed the change in regen immediately after upgrading. I even pulled over to check the settings, to see if the update had changed them. I prefer the pre-update regeneration; the new regeneration just feels sloppy. Understand the lcy road issue, but we don't do much icy roads in the urban PacNW (or perhaps this semi-granny driver just doesn't drive when it is icy or snowy :biggrin:)

Perhaps we need 3 regen settings now: Full, Standard, and Low.

Many of us rarely drive in snow or ice so the change is of no benefit. I would've thought that anyone concerned about TC issues in ice would have enabled the low setting anyway.

My sense of the tweaked regen is that the onset is graduated differently. Rather than a sudden grab, it now eases into full regen. Aside from the snow and ice concern (which isn't an issue for some), the change might make cancelling cruise control less jarring. I was just getting use to putting weight on the goose pedal every time I reached to release the cruise control. That move still feels counter intuitive.... step on the accelerator slightly in order to begin slowing down).