Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this or reported it here. Before the upgrade to 5.9, the audio prompts for navigation usually came too late. It would say "Now turn right" just as you were right at the intersection so I had to watch the little grey bar that showed how close you are to the turn to know when to turn (if it's a complex intersection or there are two ramps close to each other). Now it's much better - the final "turn now" prompt comes a few seconds before you have to turn.

I'm at 1.51.96; this change happened with one of the upgrades in the last few weeks.

Pet peeve about navigation systems: "In 100 meters, at the Y junction, at highway 17, bear RIGHT". By the time you get the singke word that really matters - right - you're already at the intersection and in the wrong lane. A little advace warning is always helpful!

Pet peeve about navigation systems: "In 100 meters, at the Y junction, at highway 17, bear RIGHT". By the time you get the singke word that really matters - right - you're already at the intersection and in the wrong lane. A little advace warning is always helpful!

I turn the voice off. The popup works just fine.

The display needs to be adjusted so the route line doesn't hide the traffic conditions. Other navigation systems have solved this problem - and with the capabilities of the Model S - we should be able to see both the traffic route and the traffic conditions - at the same time.

I was at 1.51.94 and then had a minor service done. They updated me to 1.51.96 as part of the service (you can't get these build updates without service help). My "normal" 90% daily charges have 3 extra miles on them now. I had 2.5 weeks of 239 rated and now daily its 242. Anyone else see something like that?

More details on release numbering here:
http://www.teslarati.com/everything-need-to-know-tesla-software-updates/

I was at 1.51.94 and then had a minor service done. They updated me to 1.51.96 as part of the service (you can't get these build updates without service help). My "normal" 90% daily charges have 3 extra miles on them now. I had 2.5 weeks of 239 rated and now daily its 242. Anyone else see something like that?

More details on release numbering here:
http://www.teslarati.com/everything-need-to-know-tesla-software-updates/

Also got 1.51.96 (from 1.51.94) a couple days ago after service.
Seems my normal 193-4 miles (75%) went to 198 or so.
Coincidentally, from the Visible Tesla log data the day after service, my normal 39-40A charging current dropped to 35A about 30 mins into charging and stayed there until completion.
I had just switched to the new 14-50 plug, and that day was the warmest this year (102F). Don't know if that is the reason.
Need to check again to see if this repeats.

Also received Firmware Version: 1.51.106 this morning. Installed this evening. Previous version 1.51.94. No new features listed on the display, so probably just a maintenance release.

I've noticed that the GPS location now is off by about 20 feet and sometimes has the car shown pointing in the opposite direction. Verified using VisibleTesla, the Android App (both before and after latest update) and iOS app on an iPad, so I'm pretty sure it is this firmware version. Yes, I also rebooted the console, no change.

Last edited:
I also just installed the 1.51.106 firmware and the GPS seemed the same, but it looks like the main display bottom numbers are larger than they were with the 1.51.94 update when they were enlarged, or my eye sight is getting better....

I got excited and thought it was 6.0. My guess they will release 6.0 just before the share holders meeting.

I also just installed the 1.51.106 firmware and the GPS seemed the same, but it looks like the main display bottom numbers are larger than they were with the 1.51.94 update when they were enlarged, or my eye sight is getting better....

I got excited and thought it was 6.0. My guess they will release 6.0 just before the share holders meeting.

That font got bigger with 5.9, you just didn't notice b4.

I just went out to my car and discovered a Software Update message on the screen. Set it to install "now. It started. I noticed that initially the HVAC could still be used and I could play music from my iPhone through the car audio. Then the HVAC and music paused, the car made some clunking noises in the rear, then the HVAC and music started up again, all while the center display was blank except for the Software Update window showing "Update in progress". After several minutes with the update still in progress I noticed that I could not make changes to the HVAC even though it was still running. I could control the music volume from the steering wheel.

Then after about 5 minutes the HVAC **** down and the music volume went to zero. Update was still in progress but the drivers display showed "Car Needs Service". I'm going to do that now. Can't start the car by putting my foot on the brake pedal. Will update this later...