Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about an underground parking garage exit?
Underground places here in South Florida fill up with water, that's why we don't have basements.

However, you've given me an idea! The next time I'm in a high-rise parking garage, I'll be able to test "Hill Assist".

:ROFL (says the guy from AZ, where we have hills -- and you need to drive up them to observe cold weather)...
Another great idea! The next time I'm in a high-rise parking garage, I'll drive up to the top level to test the "Cold Weather" feature of v5.9.

Hysterical!

I've been on 5.6 since the inception of time. I have been receiving daily reminders to update, and have declined each time. My children keep saying "just do it already!" With 5.9 seen in the wild, I decided to update today. Received 5.8.10 :cursing:

It may be the case that you need to be on 5.8 before 5.9 can arrive.

I've been hooked up to WiFi every night, but I was still on 5.8.8 when my Ranger visited, and he updated the car to 5.8.10. So there is really no rhyme or reason to the rollout schedule that I can detect! It seems to be randomized.

My car had a screen message this morning saying that a new release was available for download. I am in San Mateo CA and my car is 4 months old. Since I had to get to work I scheduled it for this evening at 8pm when the car is on my home wifi network.

Every night that my car is parked at my house it connects to my wifi, so no doubt Tesla is aware of that.

I believe that when you get the 'available' notice, it has already been downloaded and is just awaiting your say so for installing. So, being connected via wifi is moot at that point.

Hysterical!

I've been on 5.6 since the inception of time. I have been receiving daily reminders to update, and have declined each time. My children keep saying "just do it already!" With 5.9 seen in the wild, I decided to update today. Received 5.8.10 :cursing:

Doing the same (updating from 5.6 right now) and keeping my fingers crossed!

-------------------------

Updated 30 minutes later...DOH!!!

Last edited:
I tend to snicker at people who complain about changes in software updates, but I guess I'm in a persnickety mood.

<rant> I'm borderline pissed about the new nav features that aren't available to me as a non-tech owner. Granted, favorites and such would only be marginally useful to me, but it seems silly to tie them to nav, IMO.

Ditto the new default of displaying all charge locations. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Superchargers are going to eventually crowd out any visited non-super charge locations at low zoom levels. At the same time, this is kind of a trivial UI change, I just don't see the logic. Were people not aware it existed? Maybe they just find it easier to turn it on by default than to try to educate owners about the ability to turn it on. </rant> (I do like that I'll be able to delete charge locations, because there are 5 or 6 pins at/around my house, representing several GPS coordinates with some amount of error in them.)

Apologies in advance for the harshness. I guess I get a bit worked up when I fail to understand the reasoning behind a change that I perceive to be negative. I know I'm much more calm/accepting when I can understand and/or relate to the logic.

I'm also slightly annoyed that hill hold is only for ~1 sec. I'd like it to be infinite. I want to sit at a stoplight with my foot hovering over the accelerator regardless of the angle of incline/decline. To me, if you're worried about rolling back while moving your foot from pedal to pedal, you must have pretty slow feet, or get tailgated often. This just seems a rather useless feature to me in this implementation. I could see it being helpful in loading/unloading from a trailer though... Oh well, I'll just keep trying to find the right foot position to accomplish my infinite hold (similar to riding the clutch in a manual), and maybe they'll improve it further in the future.

On the bright side, I'm glad to see auto-lowering return. I thought I remembered hearing that there would be user control over all the thresholds, so I'm a bit sad it didn't pan out that way, but not too worried about it. Probably makes sense to disallow high or very high at highway speeds, and I can't imagine a need for it anyway.

1. I don't see the point of favorite locations to navigate to if you can't navigate at all?
2. Agreed on the superchargers defaulting to on... I hope we can still make them disappear?!
3. This isn't hill hold. You obviously haven't tried getting out of a tight parallel parking spot on a San Francisco hill in a tesla or a manual.... This will help a lot. I just wish it was an on/off setting. I kind of enjoy rocking back and forth while waiting for the green light on a slight up slope.... It's like I'm revving geared up and ready to go.

i drove by the rocklin service center looking for signs of superchargers being put in (all I found were very similar looking boxes in the target parking lot that said "ge" and nema type 3R). I didn't have a reason to stop at the service center (I hadn't seen this thread yet), so I didn't go in. I'm now starting to think that the chargers might be inside the store... Now I have a reason to go back!

Hysterical!

I'm also on 5.6, habitually ignoring the daily updates every morning and waiting until they bring the lowering back to the latest firmware. That hill assist would be nice to have, too, for the no-creepers. I've been giving no-creep a try for about 2 months now and it initially scared me. When I was stopped on a slight hill, it rolled back when I let go of the brake. But I learned to get a handle on that issue now using both feet. Never happened to me with creep-on.

After the 5.8.x drama of removing the lowered suspension without it being mentioned in the release notes, I'm not so keen on immediately updating just because a new version is available anymore. I am now more cautious about accepting firmware releases and plan to read the early-firmware adopters' reviews first for any major/minor revisions for a couple of weeks first. And if I find it provides value, I'll update.

Few other improvement that I found:

1. Right hand wheel has a new way to control a lot more stuff by just your right thumb. Including: Sunroot, Temp, Fan speed... etc... This is a very nice and amazing improvement.

2. Hill assist stop actually works even a very slightly raise ground. Now I could finally relax when switching my right foot from Stop to Accelerate pedal without worrying scare the car in my back.
I live in Roseville, CA. BTW
3. The Clock font is bigger. And Favorite in Nav,. system works like a charm. The browser rendering speed is roughly 20% faster.

Cheers,

Doing the same (updating from 5.6 right now) and keeping my fingers crossed!

-------------------------

Updated 30 minutes later...DOH!!!

Well if Tesla were to push the firmware to me soon (i.e. today/tomorrow) then we still have cold weather :) Last night saw still some -1..-2C and a bit of frost and I still start every morning with regen limiter. Of course if this really only works with true cold we'll have to wait for someone in true cold weather (some Norwegians maybe still have access to true cold before next winter).

Well if Tesla were to push the firmware to me soon (i.e. today/tomorrow) then we still have cold weather :) Last night saw still some -1..-2C and a bit of frost and I still start every morning with regen limiter. Of course if this really only works with true cold we'll have to wait for someone in true cold weather (some Norwegians maybe still have access to true cold before next winter).

True that - this is the meteogram for the next 48 hrs ;)

meteogram.png