Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy about the auto lowering on exit, though is it normal to hear a loud rattling/fluttering noise when lowering? I'm going into a service center soon so would like to know what is abnormal so that I can bring it to their attention.

I suspect that there has to be a certain amount of pressure built up in the brake hydraulics from pressing on the pedal to make sure the car will lock the brakes and hold the car stationary. Hill hold will not engage until there is enough pressure in the hydraulic lines.

On slight grades my car will consistently activate hill assist if I am stopped and roll back even an inch or two (then brake to stop). Single brake press, after the original stop.

^ this. Mine works exactly this way. On a slight incline where it doesn't initially work, a 2nd tap of the brake after rolling back a few inches always (100%) turns on the feature for me.

I'm happy about the auto lowering on exit, though is it normal to hear a loud rattling/fluttering noise when lowering? I'm going into a service center soon so would like to know what is abnormal so that I can bring it to their attention.

No noise whatsoever with lowering (5.9, ..94). I have it set at >55 MPH and have checked from time to time to see if it actually lowers since it is not that noticeable.

^ this. Mine works exactly this way. On a slight incline where it doesn't initially work, a 2nd tap of the brake after rolling back a few inches always (100%) turns on the feature for me.
This seems to be the most consistent observation. One thing that probably affects the fact that some people have different results is creep mode. I have it turned off. I wonder if those who have no issues with hill assist maybe have it turned on.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect that there has to be a certain amount of pressure built up in the brake hydraulics from pressing on the pedal to make sure the car will lock the brakes and hold the car stationary. Hill hold will not engage until there is enough pressure in the hydraulic lines.
This certainly makes sense to me. I'm having a service tech come out next week (for something else) so I may ask him to check the behaviour on my car.

This seems to be the most consistent observation. One thing that probably affects the fact that some people have different results is creep mode. I have it turned off. I wonder if those who have no issues with hill assist maybe have it turned on.

No issues with hill hold and I stopped using creep within about the first 5 minutes after leaving the factory.

My Acura had hill hold and I had the same issue when I parked on a slope. Given that I have no issues with how Tesla implemented their own feature. I would agree that it should be an option like creep however. Having options to enable/disable should be the big benefit of having software controls.

Plugshare rep said in another thread they made a site to specifically work with the Tesla browser. Note that when you type in Plugshare.com it redirects to tesla.plugshare.com. This site has different search capability, for example you can filter for hotel locations only.
I can now filter Plugshare for hotels only on my iPad as well. Filter options are presented when I select magnifier in upper right corner.

Car's browser has been far too slow for me to use on any site, including Plugshare, since I first received the car end of Nov 2013. Having 5 bars of 3G connectivity speeds up the the map drawing, but does not speed up the browser. It would be great if sone day you could directly navigate to any charger on Plugshare.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 5.9 (1.51.94) and am finding it won't remember my charging amp settings at home. It defaults back to 80 amps each time I return, but I need to charge at 16 amps and must remember to set it back manually. I think I read of others with this problem, but don't recall if there was a resolution.

Same for me. Since I installed .94 about 5 days ago the car has forgotten the lower charge current every night, and I have to manually reenter it. I do not have the extra phantom nearby charging locations reported by some, but it would appear that the geolocation is still not right.