Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a new issue with the latest 5.9 firmware. I have my car set to do a scheduled charge at 2am in my garage. If I get out of the car, close the door, go grab the charging cable, open the charge port door and then plug in the cable, the car will start to draw wall power for about 30 seconds and then stop. On the dash it says "2am scheduled charge". This didn't happen prior to 5.9. Anyone else notice this new anomaly?

I have noticed a new issue with the latest 5.9 firmware. I have my car set to do a scheduled charge at 2am in my garage. If I get out of the car, close the door, go grab the charging cable, open the charge port door and then plug in the cable, the car will start to draw wall power for about 30 seconds and then stop. On the dash it says "2am scheduled charge". This didn't happen prior to 5.9. Anyone else notice this new anomaly?

Is this really an issue? It's probably just gotten better about using line power instead of battery power, and is using the line power since the onboard equipment is still running.

I'd just like the ability to turn hill assist off like creep. Score so far is: Times when it would have helped: 0. Times when it got in the way: 20.

While I don't currently have any issues with hill-assist personally, I whole-hardheartedly support this sentiment:

Features should, to any reasonable extent possible, be able to be selectively enabled/disabled/adjusted. Especially those added/changed in subsequent firmware releases.

Anyone else get "call Tesla service" on the dash after the update? Hasn't gone away for me yet, even with a few reboots and miles of driving. Car drives fine. SC thinks its a code that needs clearing.

Interesting - I got something very similar at Harris Ranch yesterday, during Supercharging. The car seemed to be having a hard time keeping cool - it came up with a message 'Vehicle Systems are being cooled' and then as I disconnected the SC, I got the 'Call tesla' message. After 90 minutes of waiting while they analysed the situation they advised it was OK to drive (I got home to San Carlos without any problem) and it is in for service on Monday. They suggested restricting usage until then but when I asked about the problem he said 'I can't get into details'

We'll see...

I thought this behaved the same way since last fall.
What I have seen is HVAC power, if plugged in, will come from the wall regardless of timer. So in your case, it would be HVAC still running for 30 seconds.

It is possible any other onboard systems drawing power will do the same. However, I have only noticed it with HVAC.

I've seen the same and it is new behavior for 5.9. It seems to start drawing shore power earlier and more often. Perhaps this is 12V charging.

I went to my car the other day and opened the trunk. I heard the click as the charger turned on and the car was charging at about 8A. It kept going for a little while until shortly after I closed the trunk.

Interesting - I got something very similar at Harris Ranch yesterday, during Supercharging. The car seemed to be having a hard time keeping cool - it came up with a message 'Vehicle Systems are being cooled' and then as I disconnected the SC, I got the 'Call tesla' message. After 90 minutes of waiting while they analysed the situation they advised it was OK to drive (I got home to San Carlos without any problem) and it is in for service on Monday. They suggested restricting usage until then but when I asked about the problem he said 'I can't get into details'

We'll see...

Mine turned out to be a malfunctioning cooling pump. If it happened while charging and you got that message, it may be the same thing. No idea why the update reveals the error though. Perhaps there were no SW checks in previous versions.

At home I park on a slope. It keeps activating when I don't want it to.

Okay, but when you are parked on your sloped driveway and then take the car out of Park and into Drive (or Reverse), isn't it helpful that your car doesn't immediately start to move before you get your foot onto the Go pedal now that Hill Assist has been implemented?

I'm trying to envision a situation where you wouldn't want Hill Assist to be on when one is parked on a sloping surface.

Yes, I have noticed this too.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd just like the ability to turn hill assist off like creep. Score so far is: Times when it would have helped: 0. Times when it got in the way: 20.

Absolutely agree. Hill Hold makes sense on a vehicle with 3 pedals, but I honestly don's see the value of it on a vehicle which has the same number of pedals that I have feet. Wish I could switch it off too.

Yep. Noticed this today.

Okay, but when you are parked on your sloped driveway and then take the car out of Park and into Drive (or Reverse), isn't it helpful that your car doesn't immediately start to move before you get your foot onto the Go pedal now that Hill Assist has been implemented?

I'm trying to envision a situation where you wouldn't want Hill Assist to be on when one is parked on a sloping surface.

Here it is:

1. Back into the parking area from the alley. (pulling forward into a parking place make leaving dangerous--or at least less safe).

2. Go forward a bit to straighten the car.

3. Back up to the final position.

3. Maybe repeat if you're having a bad day.

Before parking assist you could use the accelerator and brake to maneuver without shifting. Now if you forget and accidentally put your foot on the brake parking assist kicks in and you have shift to release it. It's just as annoying as creep.

Same here. I wonder if it's balancing the battery? I bet it has to do with AC and/or battery cooling.

I went through a dozen or so pages of the 5.9 thread and did a forum search and haven't found this issue mentioned, forgive me if it's been covered.

After updating to 5.9, my nav is unable to "hold on to" a destination. Here's what happens:
1) I input address manually or do a voice search and select a location
2) The nav system maps out a route and begins navigating
3) After a few moments (from seconds to about a half minute), the nav just disappears from the map and from the small dash.

I've repeated this about a half dozen times and cannot get a navigation point to stick. Is anyone else seeing this on 5.9?

I went through a dozen or so pages of the 5.9 thread and did a forum search and haven't found this issue mentioned, forgive me if it's been covered.

After updating to 5.9, my nav is unable to "hold on to" a destination. Here's what happens:
3) After a few moments (from seconds to about a half minute), the nav just disappears from the map and from the small dash.

I've repeated this about a half dozen times and cannot get a navigation point to stick. Is anyone else seeing this on 5.9?

That doesn't seem normal and haven't seen that. Have you rebooted the center screen (not sure if that would help though)?

I had this with 5.8.10. A reboot fixed it.

Before parking assist you could use the accelerator and brake to maneuver without shifting. Now if you forget and accidentally put your foot on the brake parking assist kicks in and you have shift to release it.

A good point. But doesn't the "assist" release automatically after 1 second? You could just wait it out rather than shift.