Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that engineering and/or corporate don't educate service centers on new software features before they are released is a problem. There is no hurry to release software, so why not take the time to send out bulletins to all service centers regarding new functionality before the software is released? That doesn't seem to be asking too much, and this way everyone is prepared.
WOW!!! Radical idea!!! Tesla communicating among themselves. That might even boil over to them communicating with their sales and advertising staff (that's US!!!).

The fact that engineering and/or corporate don't educate service centers on new software features before they are released is a problem. There is no hurry to release software, so why not take the time to send out bulletins to all service centers regarding new functionality before the software is released? That doesn't seem to be asking too much, and this way everyone is prepared.

Do you know for certain that they do not? Standard in the industry is to issue technical service bulletins for each change. I know Tesla has that concept, but do not know if it is thoroughly executed. Typically a service manager or mechanic would react to the hill assist question the first time by looking up TSB. If it is asked frequently, they would know without looking up. The failure could be: a) no TSB, b) incomplete TSB, c) service personnel not using TSB, d) service center management not instructing service personnel to use TSB. I personally do not know enough regarding Tesla processes to guess which is the case, and the issue could vary from service center to service center.

One factor for sure is that the average tenure of service center staff is probably measured in weeks. Not an excuse for poor documentation or education, but a probable cause of things slipping between the cracks. What I plan to do next time I'm in center is quiz the service manager on what systems are in place, it would be interesting to know. If I learn anything, I'll post. If any of you get to that before I do, make sure to ask service manager, not someone who's been in the bay 30 days.

Notwithstanding the above, I also agree, Chipper, that there's no question regarding lack of release documentation for owners: it is insufficient. I do not think they should get into the mechanics of how hill assist works in the release notes... that's definitely a TSB... but they should document that the remote window open function has been removed.

My experience with the hill hold feature so far is that it is ineffective because it's unpredictable when it will kick in. So I have to assume it's not going to work and drive accordingly.

It might be helpful on an extremely large incline, but I haven't been in one of those tight parking garages in a while.

My experience with the hill hold feature so far is that it is ineffective because it's unpredictable when it will kick in. So I have to assume it's not going to work and drive accordingly.

It might be helpful on an extremely large incline, but I haven't been in one of those tight parking garages in a while.
That's an interesting point, but it seems that it works pretty consistently on inclines steep enough that rolling backward on a particularly slow transition from brake to accelerator is a risk. I think, like many things, Tesla would rather you not even think/worry about it. Of course, there are always nerds like us that have to dissect and inspect every miniscule change and understand the exact thresholds and limits. I'm sure someone is going to find out at exactly what incline level the feature kicks in at some point.

That's my experience exactly. I still have to do the two foot thing when starting from an incline because I never know if it's on or not. Even my own driveway, with a modest but consistent slope, will result in Hill Hold only working some of the time.

That's an interesting point, but it seems that it works pretty consistently on inclines steep enough that rolling backward on a particularly slow transition from brake to accelerator is a risk. I think, like many things, Tesla would rather you not even think/worry about it. Of course, there are always nerds like us that have to dissect and inspect every miniscule change and understand the exact thresholds and limits. I'm sure someone is going to find out at exactly what incline level the feature kicks in at some point.

I think that Tesla will ultimately improve this because it is not really behaving as (I believe) they designed it. According to the service rep, it is not based on size of incline, just brake pressure. He took my car for a spin and acknowledged that it was unpredictable. His impression of the design intent was that the feature essentially always worked (not hill dependent) but that it would only be noticeable on hills. The fact that it seems to depend on the depth and frequency of brake pressure in a way that no one can exactly define is not an expected effect.
To be clear about the support, the rep from Vancouver was excellent and went to some effort to get more detail on this. It was the original ownership person who said: "Regarding hill assist unfortunately we haven’t had a chance to use it here in technical support" and then passed me on to the Vancouver service group. I felt that as technical support they should have at least a passing knowledge (or at least more than the average person on TMC) of the feature.

Time delayed charge

I have noticed a new issue with the latest 5.9 firmware. I have my car set to do a scheduled charge at 2am in my garage. If I get out of the car, close the door, go grab the charging cable, open the charge port door and then plug in the cable, the car will start to draw wall power for about 30 seconds and then stop. On the dash it says "2am scheduled charge". This didn't happen prior to 5.9. Anyone else notice this new anomaly?

With a slightly different sequence, I do not see this. Like you, I set up a scheduled charge, but because I charge from a J1772, I open the charge port before I exit the car and close the door. When I insert the plug, the port goes from white to blue but there is no wall power drawn. The blue goes off soon after.

When I first received 5.9, I reported in this thread that Geolocation memory of a reduced charge setting seemed to be broken. Before 5.9, the reduced setting would appear every time I pulled into my garage, but now it always shows 80A. However, I have discovered that if I don't touch this setting, the current will still reset to the geolocated memory value when the scheduled charge actually begins.

So technically the Geolocation current setting is not broken, but I would much prefer to see the memory setting each time I am preparing to plug in, like it used to work.

I'm being prompted to save my current location as home address every morning. No matter which option I pick (save or stop asking me), it keeps asking. Anyone else seeing this with 5.9?

Several people. I believe the only workaround is to give in and save a location as HOME. Some of the more security conscious members have set it at a location close to but not at their home address.

If you charge at home - that location is stored as a recent charger - and now displayed on the navigation map. So even if you don't set your home location correctly - it will show up on the touchscreen - unless you manually delete it after every charge. So not setting your Home location doesn't really provide much protection at this point.

I think that Tesla will ultimately improve this because it is not really behaving as (I believe) they designed it. According to the service rep, it is not based on size of incline, just brake pressure.

Well then my car is not working as designed. On modest inclines it will NOT hold even if I stand on the brakes first. I can get it to hold if I let it roll back a bit, then jerk it to a stop with the brakes which indicates to me that it IS somehow based on the accelerometer, but having to let it roll back and jerk it to a stop kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Well then my car is not working as designed. On modest inclines it will NOT hold even if I stand on the brakes first. I can get it to hold if I let it roll back a bit, then jerk it to a stop with the brakes which indicates to me that it IS somehow based on the accelerometer, but having to let it roll back and jerk it to a stop kinda defeats the whole purpose.

That doesn't describe how it works for me. This is Florida so we don't have steep inclines but on modest inclines I just come to a stop, apply the brakes and then it holds for a second when I release the brakes. Works perfectly and both of us love it as an added feature.

Have your service center take a look at it.