Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally think the calendar feature looks unnecessarily complicated. Just give us integration with something like Google Calendar without requiring a phone app to be alive to manage the syncing. You can always link a calendar to a Bluetooth device if you want to enable some sort of privacy

Doesn't sound so complex. Assume everyone with an iPhone will download the Tesla app anyhow and you have your calendar app synched with Google calendar so anyone's iPhone calendar works. Same logic would eventually work on Android.

Do something based on Google calendar and it's not gonna work for a large percentage of people who don't use Google calendar.

Not going to comment on the content of the pics.

Very sad that pics of a beta version have been leaked, this is the biggest leak I've seen since I found this site earlier last year (perhaps there were earlier versions leaked, dunno... maybe there wasn't a widespread beta program back then)

I sincerely hope it doesn't affect the beta program (since for one thing, I would like to be on it :) ). Tesla will take leaks very seriously, even though each new update is fairly incremental, it means that new features are being shown to the public before they're ready. All sorts of people (some of whom are here on this thread) jump to conclusions and overreactions, which can make it out to the click-to-pay websites and negatively affect the TSLA stock price for no good reason.

Note there is no version number or date shown on the pics (and no "Beta" watermarking of any sort). We don't know how old the pics are. (even if "VHS-or-Beta" responds on this thread with claims re: the age of the pics) It's possible that the circulated are not of the latest version that's in beta... and perhaps there is more/different functionality.

It's also possible that the "readme text" in the pics is not as up-to-date as the actual software update itself (since Tesla would finish that "conclusively" when they really know what's working, how it works, and what has been left out).

In my experience it is usually the one with the information who leaks it. This "VHS-or-Beta" account was invented for the purpose of posting those images. Do we really believe that it is a friend of the beta tester?

It's possible it's Photoshopped, but it would be a pretty elaborate job, even after you've discovered all the right fonts etc., and what would be the point of all that work just to fake version 6.0 ? Not faked IMO.

Since they have Kristin Paget on staff now, and showed up an Defcon looking for people to poke holes, I am confident that they are taking security VERY seriously.

As for the "flaw" in the REST auth, I have yet to see a flaw demonstrated that is not straight social engineering or phishing. Even the most secure bank is still subject to the human element. Be vigilant about where you enter your credentials and change your passwords. This is the connected world today, and we need to adapt.

Currently no one should be giving out their Tesla Motors login to anyone or anything other than the Tesla Motors website. You run your own risks going outside that.

well, they didn't get the REST authentication security right, and even when many people pointed it out a VERY long time ago (what , like 1-2 yrs ago now?), they still haven't corrected it to date. that's a pretty big flaw. plus their website is still subject to brute force authentication attacks....soooo yea it seems like they don't have any knowledge about various software security best practices. who knows, maybe they actually took it a bit further and are using some sort of sync'd RSA key bound to a phone or figured out how to bind a specific tesla app install to phone for identity purposes and if they can identify that requests coming only from that phone then the car be started (such that it wouldn't work from anyone else's phone and also not subject to spoofing of any sort). I have my doubts. I think my concerns are warranted.

We don't know how old the pics are. (even if "VHS-or-Beta" responds on this thread with claims re: the age of the pics) It's possible that the circulated are not of the latest version that's in beta... and perhaps there is more/different functionality.

EXIF data on the picture says it was taken today (8/19). Also, it says it was taken by "Michael".

I honestly believe someone tries to troll us. Of course there is a lot of work behind this, but basically this is just the information that Elon Musk gave away in various interview.
Beside the fact that this user signed up yesterday, posted two times ...
Stay calm, there will be more then just this. On the other hand - when did you get the last time a new functionality in your previous cars? Ever heard a colleague saying "my Prius now has..." - so every feature is welcome.

I look forward to the calendar functionality. No more manually entering addresses. Voice input was pretty good, but I can't do that when the baby is sleeping in the car.

And traffic-based navigation is long-overdue.

Overall, it will be a much more significant update compared to any of the past versions.

There's always the possibility that this was an intentional, controlled leak by Tesla. Perhaps to gauge customer response to a smaller feature set?

Either way, the features described do not justify a 6.0 stepping. Nothing that is being shown in this thread rises to that level, in my opinion.

There's always the possibility that this was an intentional, controlled leak by Tesla. Perhaps to gauge customer response to a smaller feature set?

Either way, the features described do not justify a 6.0 stepping. Nothing that is being shown in this thread rises to that level, in my opinion.

Very unlikely that this was a controlled leak. They historically have not done things that way. And this would have been a clumsy way of doing so, not to mention that IF you wanted to gauge customer response, you do it before you're this far down the path, so you can adjust direction. To do it now would make absolutely zero sense.

Occam's razor. I think the simplest explanation is the most likely - someone took pix of an actual beta installation. I doubt this is a planned leak, a partial beta, a fake or anything other than what it appears to be. I doubt there are other features that will be in 6.0. This looks to be the same thing I was shown by a Tesla employee at a service center 10 days ago. It certainly isn't an overwhelming release but there are several very nice features that make it worthwhile.