Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be the iPhone notifications are only for version upgrades, not build changes of the same version?
As well as the app being open and enabled in iPhone settings to run in the background, I think both car and phone have to be online with a good connection to get notified of a software update. These Alerts are not in my experienced guaranteed delivery - try once and forget rather than try and retry.

The increase in rated miles is there only the first day. I think the algorithm assumes you've got a new battery, but after learning your battery, the numbers go back to what they used to be. Mine went from 90% at 248 yesterday to 227 today

The increase in rated miles is there only the first day. I think the algorithm assumes you've got a new battery, but after learning your battery, the numbers go back to what they used to be.
Similar results but I described this differently quite a bit back. It wasn't that it assumed a new battery but rather the defaults/initial-values that are later updated once data comes in from the battery analysis/learning.

Installed 1.67.28 yesterday and noticed my rated miles at 90% jumped from 220 to 247. Anyone else see a change like this?

Visible Tesla was running during the update. Immediately after the update my battery jumped from 365 km to 384 km. Then over the next two hours it came down in steps and settled back to where it was.

My guess is they updated the algorithm and it took a little bit of time to settle itself down again.

Flashback to post 422:
REST data
Code:
timestamp,soc,range,est_range
1410760092502,90,221,181          ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2014‎ ‎10‎:‎48‎:‎12‎ ‎PM GMT-7  [1.59.56]
1410760093002,89,238,201          9‎/‎14‎/‎2014‎ ‎10‎:‎48‎:‎13‎ ‎PM GMT-7  [1.65.11]

Bad news: It was transient. It's back to 221. Perhaps they just reset the params on the algorithm to "no historical data, recalibrate settings to defaults until more data is available" (or whatever) with the upgrade to the new firmware.

The end of my charging session last night:
Code:
timestamp,soc,range,est_range
1410918508381,80,198,142          ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2014‎ ‎6‎:‎48‎:‎28‎ ‎PM GMT-7  [1.65.11 charging_state=Charging]
1410919997502,90,221,159          ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2014‎ ‎7‎:‎13‎:‎17‎ ‎PM GMT-7  [1.65.11 charging_state=Complete]

I receive notifications about charging every night when my charging schedule activates. Not sure what you mean by "swipe it away". That doesn't do anything on my iPhone.

When you touch an app on the iphone and then press the home button, your app stays in the background. If you double-tap the home button, you get a display of all your open apps. You can close each app by swiping it upwards. If you haven't specifically done that last part, then your Tesla app is open and in the background, and that is why you are getting your notifications. If you were to close the app (double tap home button, close Tesla app) then you would not receive any notifications and the calendar would not sync.

You also have to enable "background app refresh" for the Tesla app in your preferences.

When you touch an app on the iphone and then press the home button, your app stays in the background. If you double-tap the home button, you get a display of all your open apps. You can close each app by swiping it upwards. If you haven't specifically done that last part, then your Tesla app is open and in the background, and that is why you are getting your notifications. If you were to close the app (double tap home button, close Tesla app) then you would not receive any notifications and the calendar would not sync.

You also have to enable "background app refresh" for the Tesla app in your preferences.

I find the calendar doesn't update unless I open the Tesla app on my iPhone. Leaving it running in the background isn't enough, from what I've seen. A couple of times, I've updated a calendar item and then a day later opened the calendar in the car to see the un-updated calendar. I open the app and the car's calendar updates right away. And yes, I have background app refresh enabled and all the other settings set as the app indicates.

I find the calendar doesn't update unless I open the Tesla app on my iPhone. Leaving it running in the background isn't enough, from what I've seen. A couple of times, I've updated a calendar item and then a day later opened the calendar in the car to see the un-updated calendar. I open the app and the car's calendar updates right away. And yes, I have background app refresh enabled and all the other settings set as the app indicates.

I believe the way the car gets the calendar data is by the Telsa app accessing your Calendar on the iPhone and passing that data up to the Tesla servers, which in turn updates the calendar in your car. Do you have the Settings -> Model S -> Privacy -> Calendars setting enabled, as well as Background App Refresh enabled?

I believe the way the car gets the calendar data is by the Telsa app accessing your Calendar on the iPhone and passing that data up to the Tesla servers, which in turn updates the calendar in your car. Do you have the Settings -> Model S -> Privacy -> Calendars setting enabled, as well as Background App Refresh enabled?
Yes - as I said, I have all the correct settings.

Just noting that I'd never received this message prior to 1.67.28 when plugging in my phone via the Model S usb port:

Untitled.jpg

Phone is on iOS 8

Installed 1.67.28 yesterday and noticed my rated miles at 90% jumped from 220 to 247. Anyone else see a change like this?

in About time to unveil the D and something else

there is discussion that a newer model S may already have the front motor and 6.x may be enabling it so you get extended range for highway style driving due to a different gear ratio on the front motor.

We'll know if there is any truth to that tonight.

Last edited:

there is discussion that a newer model S may already have the front motor and 6.x may be enabling it so you get extended range for highway style driving due to a different gear ratio on the front motor.

We'll know if there is any truth to that in another hour or two.
Lets keep the insane speculation in one thread. This range increase issue answered on prior page

I had this happen as well, and had not seen it before. However, on mine, it is still a little bit above where is was before the update. Here is the sequence:

1) Charged to exactly 100 mi RR at the Billings supercharger last night at 10:30pm MDT
2) Drove to hotel. Put the car to bed at 93 mi RR and programmed update for 4am
3) Returned to the car at 8:15am to find the display at 103 mi RR
4) Drove up steep hill to BIL airport. Left the car parked and unplugged with 96 mi RR showing
5) Just checked VisibleTesla and car shows 94.1 mi RR (slightly above what it was last night prior to short drive this AM)

The plot slightly thickens.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I left the car where it is to fly to the "D" event. With a few more hours to spare, I would have driven from Chicago to LA, but it was just beyond possible, even flat out! I am en route back home to BC, after the "D".

I had this happen as well, and had not seen it before. However, on mine, it is still a little bit above where is was before the update. Here is the sequence:

1) Charged to exactly 100 mi RR at the Billings supercharger last night at 10:30pm MDT
2) Drove to hotel. Put the car to bed at 93 mi RR and programmed update for 4am
3) Returned to the car at 8:15am to find the display at 103 mi RR
4) Drove up steep hill to BIL airport. Left the car parked and unplugged with 96 mi RR showing
5) Just checked VisibleTesla and car shows 94.1 mi RR (slightly above what it was last night prior to short drive this AM)

The plot slightly thickens.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I left the car where it is to fly to the "D" event. With a few more hours to spare, I would have driven from Chicago to LA, but it was just beyond possible, even flat out! I am en route back home to BC, after the "D".

I think this is splitting hairs... very close to what I've now experienced THRICE with updates. Can't remember the first time, maybe 5.12? Second 6.0 .15. Third .28. Anyway, all 3 times, I was floored to see charges that extrapolated to 270+ rated capacity immediately after software updates. Within a few charges, I was down into the 260s. But still higher than I was prior to 5.12, and darned close to original rated capacity. So, I think the algorithm keeps getting tweaked. And I completely buy the theory that - with these tweaks - they "reset" to factory values, so your first charge (at whatever level) will shock you because it extrapolates to 270+. Then reality settles in, but in all cases reality is much better than pre-5.12, when my max was around 250 rated.

PS, with my first 6.0 firmware, I was also - for the first time - experiencing a lot of range gyration. Showing one number, driving a while, not depleting, going to sleep, waking up, showing a higher number, going to sleep, showing a real drop off. Before being concerned, I suggest see if it settles down after a week. I suspect they've made the algorithm far more sensitive to SOMETHING, so it bounces around until the averages take over.

Just noting that I'd never received this message prior to 1.67.28 when plugging in my phone via the Model S usb port:

View attachment 61055

Phone is on iOS 8
Yeah, I see this as well. It's interesting that for me the trust setting isn't saved, and I've had to "Trust" each time I've connected -- this does suggest the car is trying to do something new, like mount the phone as a drive.

We'll know if there is any truth to that tonight.

I think we know it's not true now. Any car with a front motor would be missing the "microwave oven" space in the frunk where the motor will go.