Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YES! Exactly what I'm saying! Tesla HAD to dumb down browser a) for security, ergo limited extensibility;and b) for safety, ergo no video. It may look like a tablet, but it is NOT! It is the UI for your car, with some browsing capabilities. If you want more, get a tablet. I'm really not arguing, just stating fact: it will never have full browser capability operable while driving.

And, if tesla wastes development resources adding a park mode full browser, I'll be ticked. Every minute wasted, should have gone into something that advances the CAR.

If that's the argument, then I think they should remove it altogether. If you can't do it right, then don't do it at all. I just got back from a Thanksgiving road trip to Minnesota and back and tried loading the Find Us page on the browser to see each Supercharger's amenities before I got there and it couldn't even load Tesla's own page properly. You can't simply swipe your finger up to scroll down on the page like you can do with other websites. You have to try to put your finger on the tiny scroll bar and drag that down for scrolling. It's pretty embarrassing.

To be fair, it IS on the topic of 6.0 since it discusses the state of the browser in that release :tongue:

Hmm... very tenuously! I'd say it's debating state of the browser, full stop. One post suggesting someone check to see if browser has changed prompted a 20 post debate on virtues of various browsers, and a bunch of posts about how the only car out there with a browser has a crummy one.

Nonetheless, I do not care... just being irascible like most of us frequent forum posters... also can never resist TRYING to give the mods a chuckle... they deserve it.
Deep down, I'm procrastinating the darned holiday shopping :redface:

So we, the customers, should pay for a tablet and data rather than Tesla fixing the browser built into the car? It's not like we're asking them to add a touchscreen interface with a browser.

You expect to use the browser in a real and functional way? I thought it was just a gimmick.

- - - Updated - - -

Which one of the roughly 75 versions of Safari are you referring to?

Normally when someone refers to a software product, they are speaking about the latest version - not a version from four years ago.

Nope, I'm not complaining about speeds. I'm talking about limited functionality such as lack of support of authentication protocols, the inability to trust self signed certs, etc. Until recently the browser did not even support non standard ports. So it's getting better - slowly.
I'd love to have a talk with the Tesla developers to understand why they've done what they've done...

Possibilities (to me):

1) security and safety... either directly impact functionality, or to disable something they had to disable, there were side-effects with collateral damage.

2) licensing... couldn't swing a licensing deal on reuse of clearly reusable stuff. That could either be $, or issue of getting vendor to allow Tesla into code (or provide unique version)

3) 3G... knowing it was going to be 3G, maybe they decided no point in spending time on it, since more functionality would just increase speed frustration.

4) Allocation of resources... they did what was expedient for initial release, and this just has not made it onto the "must do" list. I would totally agree, BTW (though clearly some here would not!).

5) they are stupid... I cannot start with assumption that they are stupid, because there is plenty of evidence that they are not... plus knowing some of the names they've hired it is hard to believe they took a stupid pill.

I've had similar concerns with media player. Can't understand why they don't just use a 3rd party one. Now that I'm thinking through, that could have same security issues... most media players these days include streaming/subscription stuff that would have to be carved out. IMHO if there's a place to focus, I'd far rather see this than browser. I DO listen to music while driving!

I personally just have a hard time getting worked up about browser limitations. As I've posted in other threads, I was part of the ubiquitous computing movement in 90s, advocating that we put computers in everything. Now that it has happened, I have NO PROBLEM with the screen in my car looking like an iPad, but actually being a specialized device for the car.

Now at 20 posts debating browsers on a 6.0 thread. This must be a testament to both teslas improving software quality (no bugs to kvetch about) and malaise among the mods! :wink:

Ha! You forget that Elon said there's a FW update coming in December? Mods are relaxing because we know we'll have to start merging multiple new threads all over the place and carving out discussions then. :tongue:

P.S. No, I don't really believe it'll be December either but it might be sometime soon.....

Ha! You forget that Elon said there's a FW update coming in December? Mods are relaxing because we know we'll have to start merging multiple new threads all over the place and carving out discussions then. :tongue:

P.S. No, I don't really believe it'll be December either but it might be sometime soon.....
Wasn't there reports of a new 6.0 earlier in this thread? Or doesn't that count?

I would think that a release that has an engineering version number starts with "2.0" is very significant, even if we can't see anything significant.

I have no idea how the engineering version numbers are allocated/determined on Tesla FW. If any us of knew we'd have a better handle on what is "significant", but for now we do know that new top-level FW version numbers tend to come with feature changes that we can see (and therefore discuss, enthuse and/or commiserate over). :)

My fear is that the new hardware configs will get higher priority with software updates and bug fixes. As a 2013 owner, I'm a little concerned that my software won't be updated as frequently or to the latest and greatest that may be available on the newest configs. Perhaps the fear is unfounded, but it's there.

My fear is that the new hardware configs will get higher priority with software updates and bug fixes. As a 2013 owner, I'm a little concerned that my software won't be updated as frequently or to the latest and greatest that may be available on the newest configs. Perhaps the fear is unfounded, but it's there.
I doubt they will go with different software versions for older and newer cars. Currently the software supports different hardware such as air/coil suspension, parking sensors, etc. and I imagine this is done through a car configuration file which tells the software what hardware is available. I expect this continue so that everyone will get the latest software and it will adjust itself to the actual hardware of the car. From an IT perspective, it's just much easier to support a single software release that adjusts to different hardware environments than to try to maintain different releases of the software for different cars.

I have no idea how the engineering version numbers are allocated/determined on Tesla FW. If any us of knew we'd have a better handle on what is "significant", but for now we do know that new top-level FW version numbers tend to come with feature changes that we can see (and therefore discuss, enthuse and/or commiserate over). :)
Though I don't know exactly how Tesla does their version numbers, as a Release Engineer, I suspect that the new 2.0 number comes from a new branch. Possibly separating Model S from Model X. Or maybe just branching due to parallel development for other new features.

I doubt they will go with different software versions for older and newer cars. Currently the software supports different hardware such as air/coil suspension, parking sensors, etc. and I imagine this is done through a car configuration file which tells the software what hardware is available.

I don't know if this has changed since, but I was told that the software load has to be customized for the different hardware configurations in each car. (Every car has slightly different hardware revisions for the dozens of onboard processors - everything from the touchscreen to door handles.)