Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah they went to the trouble of making their own browser yet didn't strip out useless crap like selecting text. Now you have to fight with the browser on whether you meant to press something or select it. Clicking a link often results in a 45 second exercise in frustration

To be clear: Safari is based on WebKit. So are many other browsers.

But Safari != WebKit
Yes, correct. Safari and other browsers are based on WebKit and WebKit provides most of the functionality for these browsers. Individual browsers usually add the top layer user interface and call on WebKit for underlying functions such as HTTP Basic Auth. I don't know why Tesla would not include this functionality in their browser since it is part of WebKit.

Yes, correct. Safari and other browsers are based on WebKit and WebKit provides most of the functionality for these browsers. Individual browsers usually add the top layer user interface and call on WebKit for underlying functions such as HTTP Basic Auth. I don't know why Tesla would not include this functionality in their browser since it is part of WebKit.

Because there are many different version of webkit as it gets developed over time. Maybe Tesla and Safari are using different ones?
If you go to mybrowserinfo.com in the car you will get the Teslas webkit version and you can look that up on a wikipage (Safari version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to compare with what Safari-version that corresponds to.

Want to browse in your car? Spend .1% of the cost of your car and get a tablet. Tether it to your 4g phone. You'll get real browser, more speed. PS, be sure to post in on line forum for tablet mfg that you are disappointed device can't drive you to the grocery store or go 0-60 in under 4.

Safari is one of the fastest browsers on the planet. If Model S actually used Safari, it would be a much better experience.
There are many reviews and tests of browsers and there is a continual contest to see which is "best". (Google for "fastest browser" for a few thousand reviews... here is just one opinion: Best browser 2014: which should you be using? | News | TechRadar ) Safari is not generally known as the "fastest" but many people prefer its interface. Since it and many other browsers are built on WebKit, they all have similar speeds.
Everyone has their favorite interface and many are quite vocal about it but it's hard to come up with a general "best" or "fastest" since there are so many different ways to measure speed and interface.
It does appear that the Tesla browser is very close to Safari, based on WebKit since it reports: Qt-based browser reports "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux; C) AppleWebKit/533.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtCarBrowser Safari/533.3" as its User Agent
It might be good for Tesla to allow the installation of other browsers on the media center and this would help meet the demands of different users. Since the media center is based on Linux, this would not be difficult technically although it could lead to incompatibilities with the standard car applications... might want to sandbox these. It's certainly possible to run more than one browser... one for the car interface and another for browsing/streaming/media, etc.

I have used one of these. Works great but requires a data subscription. Benefit: enables communication in areas where ATT signal is not available but Verizon is. Enables up to 10 users WiFi connection including the car.

FRYS.comVERIZON

7723268.01.prod.jpg

Want to browse in your car? Spend .1% of the cost of your car and get a tablet. Tether it to your 4g phone. You'll get real browser, more speed. PS, be sure to post in on line forum for tablet mfg that you are disappointed device can't drive you to the grocery store or go 0-60 in under 4.

So we, the customers, should pay for a tablet and data rather than Tesla fixing the browser built into the car? It's not like we're asking them to add a touchscreen interface with a browser.

So we, the customers, should pay for a tablet and data rather than Tesla fixing the browser built into the car? It's not like we're asking them to add a touchscreen interface with a browser.

YES! Exactly what I'm saying! Tesla HAD to dumb down browser a) for security, ergo limited extensibility;and b) for safety, ergo no video. It may look like a tablet, but it is NOT! It is the UI for your car, with some browsing capabilities. If you want more, get a tablet. I'm really not arguing, just stating fact: it will never have full browser capability operable while driving.

And, if tesla wastes development resources adding a park mode full browser, I'll be ticked. Every minute wasted, should have gone into something that advances the CAR.

Last edited:
I have an ipad and use it a lot. Heck, I'm using it to write this post. However, I do expect minimal functionality for the Tesla browser. Currently it doesn't even have this. I specifically designed a web app for the MS touchscreen and it is barely capable of running it. No fancy video or anything. My ipad runs it just fine, by the way, but that's not the point. It defeats the purpose.

So we, the customers, should pay for a tablet and data rather than Tesla fixing the browser built into the car?

Yes, if you want something more focused on browsing, buy a tablet.

You bought a car which just happens to have the best built-in browser available in any car currently on the market. Ever tried using COMAND or iDrive to browse the internet...?

Safari is one of the fastest browsers on the planet. If Model S actually used Safari, it would be a much better experience.

Which one of the roughly 75 versions of Safari are you referring to?
Point is that all browsers evolve over time. If you compare your safari 8 with the safari 1 from 2008 you will probably find them somewhat different....

And I agree with the others. If you want a better browsing experience use something else.

I have an ipad and use it a lot. Heck, I'm using it to write this post. However, I do expect minimal functionality for the Tesla browser. Currently it doesn't even have this. I specifically designed a web app for the MS touchscreen and it is barely capable of running it. No fancy video or anything. My ipad runs it just fine, by the way, but that's not the point. It defeats the purpose.

Isn't that mostly because it's limited to 3G speeds (unless you hook it up to WiFi).