Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla shows miles and energy use since last charge on the trip meter view, no need to reset a trip counter.

Ah, so it does!!! Honestly, I haven't explored the range/power usage details of the Tesla, the range is so high that personally it just doesn't matter one bit. With the Volt, going into gas mode is a pet peeve and I know exactly where, what and why energy is being consumed.

Agree. The depth of standard regen has not changed, it's still 60kW, but my clear perception is that the ramp to maximum regen is a little slower. The effect is a bit softer regen braking, but not less peak power recovered.

I don't have 6.0 yet, but I have found that kW of regen is about 1.25 times speed up to a max of 60 kW in versions up to 5.12. For example, you get the full 60 kW of regen down to 48 mph and then it goes down with speed. 24 mph produces 30 kW regen, etc. Has this changed?

There is also the issue of attack rate; how quickly regen hits after you release the accelerator pedal. I have always enjoyed the fact that a Tesla drives like a car with manual transmission in 1st or 2nd gear. Has this changed? I hope not.

I vote strongly for a sport option in the regen setting!

I don't have 6.0 yet, but I have found that kW of regen is about 1.25 times speed up to a max of 60 kW in versions up to 5.12. For example, you get the full 60 kW of regen down to 48 mph and then it goes down with speed. 24 mph produces 30 kW regen, etc. Has this changed?

There is also the issue of attack rate; how quickly regen hits after you release the accelerator pedal. I have always enjoyed the fact that a Tesla drives like a car with manual transmission in 1st or 2nd gear. Has this changed? I hope not.

I vote strongly for a sport option in the regen setting!

Yes, the ramp up or attack rate as you put it is milder.

I'm using that strange pedal in the middle a lot more. Have to relearn my slowing vs braking points.

My wife locked her phone and key FOB in the car today, luckily our Daughter had her phone, she called me and I unlocked the doors. Later this evening, the car was parked in the garage and I noticed the mirrors hadn't folded inward (like the when the FOB is left inside) so I pushed the door handle and sure enough they came out.

So, I went inside the house, grabbed the FOB and locked the car, no problem everything works again. But when I unlocked from the app again this happened all over again.

To be clear, when the car is unlocked with the app, it remains unlocked (indefinitely?) until the FOB is used to lock it. I've unlocked the door with the app before and never noticed this happening...

Is this a 6.0 bug or just something we hadn't noticed before?

This functions like the fob is documented. Look at page 6 of the manual:

Note: If all doors are closed and you double- click the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until the next time you use the key to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage.

Yes, the ramp up or attack rate as you put it is milder.

I'm using that strange pedal in the middle a lot more. Have to relearn my slowing vs braking points.

Interesting.. As you say, the initial attack feels slower, but only for about half a second. After that the regen is just as efficient as before.

I have found that I need to use the brake pedal LESS in 6.0, as the regen is just as efficient as before but it seems to continue to a lower speed.

Though, I have to admit I have only had 6.0 for two days, so these are only my initial impressions. I like the change a lot in any case! I drive 90% of my daily commute with cruise control on (traffic? What traffic? Oh, there was another car on the road a few minutes ago..), so the non-jolt cruise control cancel is a very welcome change!

I don't understand these points about having the ability to coast to allow a better range. This is simply driving style in the model s. IF you maintain speed until relatively late, then with or without regen, you need to apply some kind of breaking. Regen allows that some of the speed can be converted back into energy - great system. If you are driving sufficiently proactively to allow speed to bleed off with out braking, I.e. Coasting, then you are just pulling back the accelerator until the motor is not being fed electricity anymore. At a certain point there is near equilibrium where we are neither using electricity or producing it. As and when we need more aggressive slowing down, whether we are pulling back on the accelerator or pushing the brake pedal, the car will reclaim as much energy as it can as part of that process. The more gradually you slow down, and the less aggressively you speed up the better the range. Constantly speeding up and slowing down will always be inneficient but at least in an EV you can gain back some of the energy during the slowing process. I guess the difference is that the coasting on other cars is more distinct as braking requires a pedal change, and no pedals means coasting, whereas with Tesla it is automatically being managed as you pull back the accelerator. I personally love the Tesla approach.

Back on topic I think...
lI've experienced some annoying behaviours with the location aware air suspension raising. Maybe not so much a behaviour as a problem with the accuracy or proximity settings. On my way to work I typically use a back alley where I need to raise up the car to avoid hitting the bottom of the car. I actually have about three spots where I've raised the car up. On the way home, I tend to go a different way and I use a normal road that is at least a 1/2 block away from the parallel back alley. Today I heard a warning from the car because it was trying to raise the suspension and the speed was too high. A bit further on I was slowed down in traffic and passed within 1/2 block or so of another one of my raising spots. This time the car raised up to very high successfully just intime to lower again as I resumed speed. This actually happened a third time as I got further down and I had to manually lower it. Maybe this is a unique situation but I'm surprised at the lack of precision with this feature. I guess for some people this allows that the height has been achieved by the time the car actually gets to the spot.

I had the 6.0 update window this morning, but was late getting my kid to school. I didn't select an install time thinking I could drop him off and then apply the update. As soon as I was ready to initiate the update, almost literally to the second, the window disappeared :(

Any way to get it back or do I have to wait? Really surprised/disappointed there isn't a notification icon up in the top that lets me come back to it whenever.

I had the 6.0 update window this morning, but was late getting my kid to school. I didn't select an install time thinking I could drop him off and then apply the update. As soon as I was ready to initiate the update, almost literally to the second, the window disappeared :(

Any way to get it back or do I have to wait? Really surprised/disappointed there isn't a notification icon up in the top that lets me come back to it whenever.

There should be a little alarm clock on the top part of the screen next to the T. You can click on that and the window will re-appear.

I've had v6 since Sunday. Here are a few things I noticed :

1) The nav display now shows yellow, red, and black on top of red. I didn't have the "black on top of red" before. The black basically means traffic is not moving.
2) The raising of the car at a specific point works very well for me.
3) I had an error message yesterday saying "engine coolant low. Call service ". Could be coincidence.
4) Getting the error that the nav system needs service , but it is due to 3G not being picked up. Had to reboot the center console 2 times for it to pick up 3G
5) I can coast more easily on regen...meaning before version 6 I had to have the pedal at 0 kw for a bit to coast before applying regen and stop. When I regen as normal to stop without coasting, it works the same.

Overall, I like it.

------------update-------------

When I dropped off my car to check the error message, it turns out the battery coolant heater needed to be replaced. It was a first generation heater and the new part had been improved.
From the warranty bill, this was the part # :
MDL S,THERM SYS,BATT,HTR MODULE 1(1028689-99-A)

Last edited:
Ugh. I read 9 pages of this thread and then tried a search but didn't see this come up: the first detent on the turn signal stalk would cause the turn signal to blink 3 times to signal a lane change. Yesterday my car was in to repair a seized window regulator, new tires, underbody shield, blah blah. The loaner had 6.0, and I was annoyed to find that the stalk didn't function the same way. No lane change 3 blinks at first detent. I figured it was just that car. Well, they informed me when I picked up my car that they had loaded 6.0 for me and guess what? Now my car does the same thing. I love the other updates but am super annoyed with that stalk behavior. Am I the only one who used it???

I'm just as glad for that to be deleted but perhaps it would be best if it was a user configurable setting including the number of blinks. I like to make slower lane changes than 3 blinks is suitable for.

The first time I experienced the 3-blink was in my ML320 which has the exact same steering column w/o an "ON" light on the Cruise Control. Accidentally signaled and then tried to cancel and did left, right, left, right several times before it finally stopped. Over the next several thousand miles I finally learned "hands off" if I signal incorrectly and let it turn itself off.