Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is really no "background running" of apps in iOS, just very limited actions such as audio playing and finishing downloads. The notification system is independent of that. It definitely works with home screen or another app in foreground.

I'm no iOS expert, but if I double click the Home button and "swipe" the Tesla app closed, the notifications (on the phone) and the Calendar app (on the 17") stop working.

- - - Updated - - -

Regen most certainly did not change on my P85 with 6.0

Same here. Absolutely no change on my S85.

That's why you have to launch the app once after reboot to activate the notifications. When you "kill" the app you tell iOS to end the notifications. It's still not running in the background, the notifications just act like it.

For the casual user that's probably splitting hairs, sorry!

And some of that has changed in iOS 7 and iOS 8 ... I believe notifications can stay active after reboot - need to try it myself.

Last edited:
I don't understand these points about having the ability to coast to allow a better range. This is simply driving style in the model s. IF you maintain speed until relatively late, then with or without regen, you need to apply some kind of breaking. Regen allows that some of the speed can be converted back into energy - great system. If you are driving sufficiently proactively to allow speed to bleed off with out braking, I.e. Coasting, then you are just pulling back the accelerator until the motor is not being fed electricity anymore. At a certain point there is near equilibrium where we are neither using electricity or producing it. As and when we need more aggressive slowing down, whether we are pulling back on the accelerator or pushing the brake pedal, the car will reclaim as much energy as it can as part of that process. The more gradually you slow down, and the less aggressively you speed up the better the range. Constantly speeding up and slowing down will always be inneficient but at least in an EV you can gain back some of the energy during the slowing process. I guess the difference is that the coasting on other cars is more distinct as braking requires a pedal change, and no pedals means coasting, whereas with Tesla it is automatically being managed as you pull back the accelerator. I personally love the Tesla approach.

Here is discussion from the TM forum with an experiment by one of the members: For those interested - regen vs. coasting - I measured it! | Forums | Tesla Motors

I'm not a physicist or engineer and don't care much about the details of regen, they work, they're great, good enough for me. BUT, if 6.0 changed our regenerative setting to allow more coasting, our real world range will increase. It seems crazy that less regen can increase range, but it can. After 2+ years of driving a Volt with both high and low regen, I can say without doubt that too much regen will cut down the range.

By best guess as to why this happens; regen slows the car down too much, causing the driver to react with a heavy pedal and a lot of power is lost while re-accelerating.

FWIW, I love the heavy regen and as others have stated, having an option to increase to max would be awesome.

I have found that I need to use the brake pedal LESS in 6.0, as the regen is just as efficient as before but it seems to continue to a lower speed.

I seem to have the opposite, I'm having to use the brake pedal ALL the time now, and I almost never touched the brake pedal before 6.0. I even switch between low and standard, just to make sure the setting did not get lost in the upgrade. I like the old regen better. Maybe a third "High" or "Aggressive" regen setting would be nice.

I have received 2 v6.0 updates now and I'm on 1.65.15. The last few days I keep losing 3G connectivity and it will not come back until I reboot the main screen. Even after that it takes a while.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I have. I haven't had to reboot the screen in a long time (1+ years?) and had to do it twice. In face, I was in for service on a non related issue and got 1.65.15 and I had to reboot the screen in the parking lot of service for this message. I had to reboot this morning before work.

I guess this is what the Report Bug Issue button is for! : )

Here is discussion from the TM forum with an experiment by one of the members: For those interested - regen vs. coasting - I measured it! | Forums | Tesla Motors

I'm not a physicist or engineer and don't care much about the details of regen, they work, they're great, good enough for me. BUT, if 6.0 changed our regenerative setting to allow more coasting, our real world range will increase. It seems crazy that less regen can increase range, but it can. After 2+ years of driving a Volt with both high and low regen, I can say without doubt that too much regen will cut down the range.

By best guess as to why this happens; regen slows the car down too much, causing the driver to react with a heavy pedal and a lot of power is lost while re-accelerating.

FWIW, I love the heavy regen and as others have stated, having an option to increase to max would be awesome.

Thinking about this, it occurs to me that I may use regen braking more than I would use brakes normally. In my mind, I don't worry as much about pulling back the accelerator as I would about braking all the time. Thus I may speed up and slow down more than I might with an ICE. The exception to this is on the highway where I adapted to a very smooth style of driving with only slight changes in speed. When I first started driving Tesla I did often slow down too much as I got used to the regen but I would say that now, I don't ever accidentally slow down too much but I may accelerate more and brake later because I'm now so comfortable with the regen's ability to smoothly and safely slow the car down.

- - - Updated - - -

I've closed mine by swiping and I still get updates
Some observations with my phone (iPHone 5S on IOS 8). Having synced my phone initially the calendar in my S works regardless of whether the phone app is running or not, however, if you look closely at the top right of the calendar screen it will let you know if it hasn't synced (possibly each time you start driving and the phone app isn't available). In my car the calendar continued working but with this message until I had opened the Tesla app. The app was already open but I do not have it set to run in background so the sync did not occur. When I brought the app to the front, initial it did not work because I had the new menu screen open. Once I went to one of the original screens, e.g. controls, the calendar synced and showed that it was up-to-date. I haven't tried the background function yet but presumably if that is enabled for the Tesla App, it should sync even when the app isn't in the foreground.

Too much regen does not cut down range at all, precisely because you can control the amount of regen with your foot. In other words, you have as much coasting as you'd like right now--you just have to find the sweet spot with your foot.

Other than drag (which you don't have much control over other than controlling your speed), the majority of energy that comes out of your engine (or motor) that is wasted ends up being wasted by braking. Therefore, if you can reduce the amount of braking, you can prevent the loss of that energy.

There are two ways to do this: You could coast to every stop light and stop sign, thereby eliminating braking. While this is more efficient than regen in almost any speed regime (I did the calculations, they're on a thread here somewhere), it's not realistic. You'd have to time everything perfectly, and you'd have to start coasting SO early that it would take you forever to get anywhere. You'd get murdered by road ragers before you reach your first destination.

The other way is to use regen. Since real-world driving (at least the kind that doesn't annoy every driver around you and take forever) requires you to stop the car in a relatively short amount of time, the way to avoid using the brakes is to have as much regen as possible. The less regen you have, the more likely you are to use the brakes and waste 100% of your kinetic energy instead of only 15% with regen.

I'm an engineer. I have a strong physics background. The more regen available to you, the more range you will have. The key is to modulate it properly with your foot, so that you don't use more regen than necessary in a given driving situation.

To sum it up: Coasting is almost always better than regen, but in real-world driving, coasting everywhere is not realistic and quick stopping is needed. The more regen the better.

Last edited:
Too much regen does not cut down range at all, precisely because you can control the amount of regen with your foot. In other words, you have as much coasting as you'd like right now--you just have to find the sweet spot with your foot.

Other than drag (which you don't have much control over other than controlling your speed), the majority of energy that comes out of your engine that is wasted ends up being wasted by braking. Therefore, if you can reduce the amount of braking, you can prevent the loss of that energy.

There are two ways to do this: You could coast to every stop light and stop sign, thereby eliminating braking. While this is more efficient than regen in almost any speed regime (I did the calculations, they're on a thread here somewhere), they are not realistic. You'd have to time everything perfectly, and you'd have to start coasting SO early that it would take you forever to get anywhere. You'd get murdered by road ragers before you reach your first destination.

The other way is to use regen. Since real-world driving (at least the kind that doesn't annoy every driver around you and take forever) requires you to stop the car in a relatively short amount of time, the way to avoid using the brakes is to have as much regen as possible. The less regen you have, the more likely you are to use the brakes and waste 100% of your kinetic energy instead of only 15% with regen.

I'm an engineer. I have a strong physics background. The more regen available to you, the more range you will have. The key is to modulate it properly with your foot, so that you don't use more regen than necessary in a given driving situation.

To sum it up: Coasting is almost always better than regen, but in real-world driving, coasting everywhere is not realistic and quick stopping is needed. The more regen the better.

Hear, hear!

Very well stated, and accurate.

I was trying to formulate a response like this, but apparently no need... you nailed it.

Thanks!

Other than drag (which you don't have much control over other than controlling your speed), the majority of energy that comes out of your engine (or motor) that is wasted ends up being wasted by braking. Therefore, if you can reduce the amount of braking, you can prevent the loss of that energy.

There are two ways to do this: You could coast to every stop light and stop sign, thereby eliminating braking. While this is more efficient than regen in almost any speed regime (I did the calculations, they're on a thread here somewhere), they are not realistic. You'd have to time everything perfectly, and you'd have to start coasting SO early that it would take you forever to get anywhere. You'd get murdered by road ragers before you reach your first destination.

Thanks. That is basically what I was trying to say earlier - but not as well expressed.

I seem to have the opposite, I'm having to use the brake pedal ALL the time now, and I almost never touched the brake pedal before 6.0. I even switch between low and standard, just to make sure the setting did not get lost in the upgrade. I like the old regen better. Maybe a third "High" or "Aggressive" regen setting would be nice.

I agree, I am using the pedal more with 6.0

Hi Todd, thank you for a great response and explanation.

To clear up some confusion, I'm not saying heavy regen cuts down range, what I'm saying is less regen will increase range because of additional coasting...it's a subtle difference.

In other words, 200 miles of range will not cut down to (a hypothetical) 190 miles with heavy regen, however 200 miles of range will increase to (a hypothetical) 210 miles with less regen and more coasting.

Also, I'm only assuming that coasting is the reason for my extra miles when regen is low, there could be an entirely different explanation.

Anyway, thanks again for a great explanation!