Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Hong Kong, since so many features aren't allowed or available, we still don't have 6.0 (they need to cripple it first, and it seems it's not a super high priority).

One feature I am looking for is to be able to control the regen setting from the steering wheel, as I often change between NORMAL and LOW several times on a typical trip. An example is on the expressway, where I would use low regen for comfort and energy savings. Exiting the expressway, or hitting traffic, I would like to switch to NORMAL regen, without having to click multiple places on the screen - as it takes attention away from the road, as well as hides maps and camera.

It's a dead simple toggle function, so I hope it will be available as such - instant toggling.

Anyone with 6.0 who knows if this is possible?

Sounds weird. Just set it to normal and drive it. Want less regen? Don't release the accelerator pedal so far. Not sure how low regen makes it more comfortable??

Sounds weird. Just set it to normal and drive it. Want less regen? Don't release the accelerator pedal so far. Not sure how low regen makes it more comfortable??
I agree that you can adjust the regen dynamically by a sensitive right foot.

there is no toggle switch in V6 to switch wholesale between normal and low apart from the usual setting. This is intended as a long term macro function rather than a dynamic control.

I did. V6 101.10.12

ava6avy8.jpg

By the way - decoding the VIN says this is a dual motor (obviously) Release Candidate car 5YJSA1H2EFR57047

I agree that you can adjust the regen dynamically by a sensitive right foot.

there is no toggle switch in V6 to switch wholesale between normal and low apart from the usual setting. This is intended as a long term macro function rather than a dynamic control.

I find it harder to modulate precisely, and I read that you get better range on the expressway/freeway if you use the low setting. Not sure how much it affects the driving when on cruise control, but I definitely prefer the low setting in low traffic density.

Not saying everyone should be forced to do it this way, I would just like the option. After all, it's just an iPad on wheels, shouldn't be so hard to link a switch to regen.

I find it harder to modulate precisely, and I read that you get better range on the expressway/freeway if you use the low setting. Not sure how much it affects the driving when on cruise control, but I definitely prefer the low setting in low traffic density.

Not saying everyone should be forced to do it this way, I would just like the option. After all, it's just an iPad on wheels, shouldn't be so hard to link a switch to regen.
I hope you communicate your wish to tesla motors directly. I've not heard hue and cry for this, so you'd better speak up. Yes it should be easy, but there are lots of priorities, and if they put everything on thumb wheel it ceases to be a shortcut.

Only if you never use the brake. For energy efficiency: coasting > regen > brake. As soon as you need to apply brakes you would have been better off using regen to slow down so you re-capture some of the energy.

Ideally one shouldn't use brakes on expressway/freeway. Even with the low setting on regen, I don't have to use brakes very often. Mainly if someone changes lane without looking, can't do much about that.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear if it was included in 6.0 (it is not released in Hong Kong yet, so I cannot see it myself). Since it isn't, I will ask Tesla Motors about it, where is the "request feature" channel?

Traffic in HK must be unique. Around here there are a range of speeds on highways and you are either braking or using regen - maybe we follow too closely :smile: Speed must be modulated not infrequently due to differing speeds, lane changes and taillight chain effects from earlier traffic.

Traffic in HK must be unique. Around here there are a range of speeds on highways and you are either braking or using regen - maybe we follow too closely :smile: Speed must be modulated not infrequently due to differing speeds, lane changes and taillight chain effects from earlier traffic.

Then having a strong/normal regen setting is better for you. Regen and putting energy back into the battery is always better than using that energy to heat the brakes.

and I read that you get better range on the expressway/freeway if you use the low setting.

Absolutely untrue. The low setting only limits the amount of regen you can potentially do, which can only be a negative aspect in terms of efficiency unless you have absolutely no ability to modulate the throttle pedal. Having more available regen can only be a positive. Coasting is (almost) always more efficient than using regen, but if using the low setting means you have to use the brakes when you may have been able to get the necessary deceleration with regen set to "Normal", then your efficiency is out the window. The whole goal of regen is to decrease the frequency with which you're required to use the brakes. Leaving the setting in "Low" doesn't help this as much as setting it to "Normal" does.

Then having a strong/normal regen setting is better for you. Regen and putting energy back into the battery is always better than using that energy to heat the brakes.

I think you are quoting the wrong person. If you re-read posts I think you will see that I am advocating for regen over coast for most real-world situations. But thanks for emphasizing my point for me :)

Just had my P85+ in for some adjustments post delivery and they also placed 6.0 (1.67.42) on to replace 5.14. The new Lane Departure and Speed Limit assist features are working just as they did on 5.14. Nothing new other than the other 6.0 features. I have all the new HW so this must be the 6.0 release for folks with the new HW.

Absolutely untrue. The low setting only limits the amount of regen you can potentially do, which can only be a negative aspect in terms of efficiency unless you have absolutely no ability to modulate the throttle pedal. Having more available regen can only be a positive. Coasting is (almost) always more efficient than using regen, but if using the low setting means you have to use the brakes when you may have been able to get the necessary deceleration with regen set to "Normal", then your efficiency is out the window. The whole goal of regen is to decrease the frequency with which you're required to use the brakes. Leaving the setting in "Low" doesn't help this as much as setting it to "Normal" does.

When I was reading about hypermiling, I came across the point that low regen is more efficient than high, as regen is only 80% efficient in the first place. If the car is too aggressive on the regen, more will be lost. It might be marginal, and yes, I can (try to) modulate the accelerator, though I really just prefer regen low on the expressway - with the option to switch quickly to normal.

Just like some people like creep (I don't, but I would have liked a hill holder which stays on until you touch the accelerator). The car can be customised to suit different preferences - I wasn't asking for this to be a forced feature for all, just an option.

Since we don't have 6.0 in Hong Kong yet, all I wanted to know was - is this a new feature or not, and I found out - it isn't.

Lots of folks have gotten this update. Rolled out pretty fast. Most went through .28 first though. I've heard that it may support the new hardware that 5.14 was for.
Received OTA 1.67.43 today.
Fine to have unbugging and finetuning, better to have navigation that at least meet Kia Picanto standards. My navigation still isn't aware of a major highway change over a year ago and at crucial moments it is 'initializing'. Reason why I allways use the TomTom iPhone app instead.

When I was reading about hypermiling, I came across the point that low regen is more efficient than high, as regen is only 80% efficient in the first place. If the car is too aggressive on the regen, more will be lost. It might be marginal, and yes, I can (try to) modulate the accelerator, though I really just prefer regen low on the expressway - with the option to switch quickly to normal.

I suspect that whomever wrote that doesn't really understand about how things work. 80% of something is better than 0% of something. When regen is on standard it's easy to modulate the accelerator pedal so that there isn't any regen. It's impossible to use regen when a faster stop is needed if regen is set to low. In real-life situations, standard regen and a bit of technique will work better than low regen. It might be possible to get the low regen to work better on a closed circuit--but that has nothing to do with day-to-day driving.

I suspect that whomever wrote that doesn't really understand about how things work. 80% of something is better than 0% of something. When regen is on standard it's easy to modulate the accelerator pedal so that there isn't any regen. It's impossible to use regen when a faster stop is needed if regen is set to low. In real-life situations, standard regen and a bit of technique will work better than low regen. It might be possible to get the low regen to work better on a closed circuit--but that has nothing to do with day-to-day driving.

the way I think about the low regen is that ideally on the highway you don't regen much because you will then have to accelerate the difference. How many times have you gotten off the go peddle just to have to push it again? (Too much regen). A low setting will keep regen more efficient but the gain is not having to speed up. You should be able to do the same range with normal vs low if you baby the peddle just right and prevent it from doing a hard regen. In the city, yes normal regen is better because you get more energy back and you'd otherwise have to brake and lose energy to friction.